Custom Thumbnails
Video 
Hello,

I've been using XMBC for years, no problem there. Recent adopter of Kodi for a video PC, and all things are running smoothly except for one detail.

For the majority of my video collection I have custom thumbnail images, such as minimalist fan art or just different art than the prescribed boring photos you generally get on the box (Mostly for films and TV stuff, obviously)

On every other platform I carry my videos over to, these embedded thumbnails work fine. Kodi seems to insist on generating its own if you don't use a scraper, and I don't want to use the scraper for the reason stated above. Is there a way to get KODI to default to the OS's/file's embedded thumbnail?

Note: I am NOT having issues with images for folders. That works fine. Drop in a thumnail.jpg, good to go. It's just individual files that are the issue.

Thanks and cheers
Welcome to the forum.

Here's a good wiki to look at Artwork (wiki) it includes the rules Kodi uses to display graphics.

In the various movie folders having a Jpeg as poster.jpg will allow an image to be seen attached to a folder. (if the image is not optimal in size Kodi will make it fit) If the file is named movie-poster.jpg that artwork will be the cover of the movie. Fanart,jpg is the background and movie-fanart.jpg will be associated with a specific movie.

This a renaming job for the most part, once you have them all done, a local scrape will pick up the artwork. Use the 'local information only' scraper. You can also do this singly manually one at a time.
(2016-04-27, 09:29)teverant Wrote: On every other platform I carry my videos over to, these embedded thumbnails work fine. Kodi seems to insist on generating its own if you don't use a scraper

sounds like you have the setting [below] enabled

System > Settings > Video > File Lists > Extract Thumbnails and Video Information
First, thank you both for the ideas.

The first method, with -Poster.jpg does the trick. Makes the folder a bit messy to watch films in with any other program, but, gets the job done.

I tried every combination of on/off and refreshing the folder with the options under File Lists and enabling the local scraper, and it had no effect short of just making sure no file had any thumbnails. The latter method would have been preferred over the former, but, it gets the job done and gives the desired results.

Also, knowing I can tailor the banners and backgrounds also opens up possibilities I hadn't even conceived yet.
(2016-04-29, 12:53)teverant Wrote: First, thank you both for the ideas.

The first method, with -Poster.jpg does the trick. Makes the folder a bit messy to watch films in with any other program, but, gets the job done.

I tried every combination of on/off and refreshing the folder with the options under File Lists and enabling the local scraper, and it had no effect short of just making sure no file had any thumbnails. The latter method would have been preferred over the former, but, it gets the job done and gives the desired results.

Also, knowing I can tailor the banners and backgrounds also opens up possibilities I hadn't even conceived yet.
Hi i know this is an old thread but just curious did this work for you ok? i have multiple kodi players and scraping on each and every one is a pain. This means i can just add the cover and fanart to folder and hopefully all players will pick up automatically and stay in sync.
(2021-01-19, 14:03)Ngac Wrote: did this work for you ok?
As noted, 'an old thread' 5 years is ancient, don't expect the o/p to chime in, the forum maintains very old threads for the purpose of investigation and education, rather than local discussion. The official wiki Artwork (wiki) should be your reference and periodically gets updated. Some have suggested that 3rd party media managers when implemented become saviours of time & effort when it comes to covers and backgrounds and managing meta-data. I would offer a temp fix using Artwork Beef on a one time basis if using Kodi Leia stable and fully exporting your library to separate files, should you install Kodi again, a local scrape will bring it all back quickly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom Thumbnails0