Streaming HEVC causes jitters on FireStick and Fire TV2
So my setup is HTPC running Kodi 16.1, then using UPNP to either FireStick or Fire TV2 streaming certain HEVC movies from the HTPC to either stick or FireTV2 results in jittery movies as in the system cant keep up. What is weird is that this is not on all HEVC encodes just a few. Also, I dont really see any other issues, with MKV, MP4 and such, streaming is fine. The movies plays fine on my HTPC. Any ideas on what could be happening? It is not a 4K encode just 1080p. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Depends on the bitrate. A Debug Log will tell. I think it eats 8 bit and cannot cope with 10 bit files - but we will see.

If you have a mediainfo in hand, that would also be good.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I think your right, probably not able to do 10bit properly

mediainfo for the move that jitters

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L4@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2h 4mn
Bit rate : 1 247 Kbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.034
Stream size : 1.09 GiB (85%)

Mediainfo for movie that plays fine

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L4@Main
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 2h 6mn
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) fps
Original frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits

I dont understand this enough, but I guess 10bit is just too much. Are there any potential solutions or just limitations to the hardware? Thanks again for the help!

Cheers
Chris
Can you post the Debug Log please while playing the 10 bit content?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I will do that when I get home fritsch... would you want both for the firestick and AFT2 as well? Thanks again!

Cheers
Chris
Everything where it is not working.
Ok finally got the logs for you. As it turns out it seems that the AFT2 doesnt seem to have an issue today playing 10bit HEVC which is weird as it did the other day, eitherway I will post the logs for both the AFT2 and FireStick playing the same movie.

Stick:
http://xbmclogs.com/pslylatxy

AFT2:
http://xbmclogs.com/pjetqfwba
thanks again for your time!
One can init the decoder, one cannot.
The Fire TV stick can't play HEVC content for sure. No hardware decoder and fairly weak CPU for software decoding.
Thank you for the heads up. Naïve question. I know now the Fire TV Stick has no hardware decoder, and CPU sucks... would there be any hope that SPMC may be able to play them since its geared more towards android? Thank again for the information. On the AFT2 Kodi works great, streaming all my content from my HTPC, really love the work the Devs have done with the program.

Cheers
Chris
The problem isn't Kodi, it is the fact that the FireTV Stick cannot hardware decode and bad CPU, no other program/version will help make it play. To put it frankly, you are trying to cross the Atlantic with a Row Boat.
No worries, was just wondering thanks for the info!
Cheers
Chris

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming HEVC causes jitters on FireStick and Fire TV20