Linux upgrading Kodibuntu
I'm very new to kodibuntu but I'm trying to upgrade the underlining OS, I have tried to upgrade form 14.04 to the next version.......and then the next to 15 or 16. but when I try to upgrade in the terminal it says there is no upgrade....help!!!!!
What have you done to upgrade the OS?

Have you followed this?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodibuntu#How_do_I...base_OS.3F

As the underlying OS is 14.04 and this still has support until 2019, there is no need to update the OS.

If you want to update the Kodi version, just open up the terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

and you should end up with the latest stable Kodi version.
I'd hold off with that at the moment. There is certainly a host of bugs in the latest samba version and this is causing people lots of issues.

I look at upgrades this way - If everything is working properly AND the upgrade notes are not going to benefit me (eg samba is only in use on my local network behind a firewall and has no access to any sensitive data) then I most likely do not need it. The machine in my bedroom is still running it's original minimal 14.04 install and has never been upgraded OS-wise, although Kodi certainly has. I don't need the latest kernel or whatever on it. It runs perfectly well as it is and it'll stay that way until I am forced to upgrade it because Kodi is no longer supported on it.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Yes I have done all that, is there a benefit to upgrading Linux at the moment
What is happening is when I put kodie to sleep everything is fine, it's when the computer wakes up..... Kodie crashes and restarts alot
I suggest you enable debugging before Kodi sleeps, then get the debug log (wiki) when it wakes up and crashes and post it on a pastebin site, then link that back to here. It's hard to diagnose an issue without that log.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
How do I enable debuging
try this one... worked for me

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade -d

takes a while, be patient
Cheers
Quote: How do I enable debuging

You could have followed the link black_eagle sent: Debug Log (<-hit me hard)

Quote:is there a benefit to upgrading Linux at the moment

For you? No!

Sorry for being direct and if this sounds not polite...but do you know what a XY-problem is?

A XY-problem is...you ask "x" but you want to know/solve "y". There would be less postings and a faster solution if you explain what your problem is and not trying to solve it without knowing what you are doing.

No offense Wink...so please don't get this wrong. You just have to help us more to help you Wink

So please follow EXACTLY the steps black_eagle mentioned and get us a Debug Log on a pastebin site ( http://pastebin.com ) and post the link to it here.
I too am brand new to kodibuntu. I am also brand new to the forum so, greetings everyone! I have practically memorized the kodibuntu FAQ. I am very familiar with Kodi. Been using it for quite some time. I am however brand new to the linux portion of this. Would someone be so kind as to explain how security updates are handled or executed. I just want to ensure that my system stays patched and safe as possible. Thank you very much to the Kodi team for this distro. I really do love it and at this point I'm not missing Windows one single bit. Also, if you have any important linux tips I need to know while using kodibuntu please include them in your response. Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.
kodibuntu is essentially ubuntu, so standard apt-get update, apt-get upgrade procedure applies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
upgrading Kodibuntu0