Questions about Fire Stick and Updating Kodi 14.1
Hello all! I am new to Kodi and have some questions. I have searched the forums and have read contradicting answers so I'm hoping someone can help.

First Question: I am using Kodi 14.1 on the Amazon Fire Stick. A few days ago I turned the Fire Stick on and attempted to use Kodi as usual but the Fire Stick showed a screen stating I need to either "Register" or "Create An Account". It will not allow me to exit this screen. As I'm a newbie I am hesitant to do anything for fear of screwing up the stick and/or Kodi. Do I create an account? Will that effect Kodi at all? Is this Amazon's way of booting Kodi users?

Second Question: My stick came with Kodi 14.1 and I see that the latest Kodi version is 16.1 Jarvis (I think I have that right). In the forums I have come across several different ways to update and I don't know what the proper way to update is. Some posts say I need to delete 14.1 before updating to 16.1, some say it doesn't matter. It seems as if every post I read about updating Kodi has a different way of doing it. Again, I am concerned that I will screw everything up. What is the best way to update to 16.1? Do I need to delete 14.1 first?

I realize these are Kodi 101 questions, but I am not technologically inclined. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thread moved to Android
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
If you didn't do a factory reset yourself, then whomever the stick registered to, had de-registered it. If you don't have an account with Amazon, you need to create one in order to register it.

Then go here to get information for Kodi's installation.

Edit to add: Or the stick "lost" the registration data, simply re-register.
cd2022 Thank you very much for the assistance! I will do those things. Hope you have a great weekend.
FYI, I've just received an email from Amazon saying the recent software update may have been deregistered the kindle from my Amazon account.
Amazon gave me $5.00 for the inconvenience.
That's cool.
Forgot to ask about updating Kodi. I have 14.1 and need to update to 16.1 Jarvis. What is the best way to do this? Do I have to delete 14.1 first? I have looked in the forum and I've seen several different answers.
Some posts say I can download 16.1 without removing 14.1, others say I need to.
There is no need to uninstall/remove older version, most skins and some add-ons may not be compatible with 16.1.

Edit to add: I would recommend method #3 adbfire, since assuming you used a computer to get here.
Sorry, I don't see method #3 adbfire
It's on post # 3 but I will post the link here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Fire_TV
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out. I know the forums are a great source of info, but I kept finding conflicting answers, Or maybe I just don't understand the answers. It's probably the latter. Technology and I don't usually get along. Again, thank you. Have a great weekend!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Questions about Fire Stick and Updating Kodi 14.10