Kodi not seeing my external drive on Shield TV
Hey all,

I've been unable to find a solution to my issue.
I'm able to access all files (videos) from my direct connected Seagate external usb harddrive via ES Explorer and play with VLC without issue thru the Shield TV.. In ES Explorer, the drive shows up as USB3002.

But, Kodi (16.1) isn't recognizing the drive, as it's not coming up as an 'External source' when I attempt to 'add a video source'.

Any guidance would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I had the same issue and it still happens sometimes. I just have yo reboot and go to Kodi, system - file explorer and then i see the "My Passport" hdd. Forget about ES Explorer.

hope it helps.
Negative. Rebooting doesn't allow Kodi to recognize the drive =/
Did you try SPMC (wiki)?
It uses another API to detect external drives...
(2016-04-29, 07:45)Koying Wrote: Did you try SPMC (wiki)?
It uses another API to detect external drives...

I did try it and received the same result (or lack there-of).
I'm now going to try to format the external harddrive thru Shield, and then attempt to load my video files back onto the formatted drive and see if that solves my problem... My dilemma with that is finding a good method to do that since I'll be formatting the external drive thru Android, pretty sure my Windows box wont be able to recognize it anymore. Any suggestions?
Well, ended up getting my external to be recognized.
What I ended up doing was the following:
- formatted the external drive thru Shield settings to act as internal storage,
- Connected drive to ubuntu laptop. The external drive now had two partitions (what I assume was an android boot, and another one that was empty)
- I formatted the larger empty partition as NTFS.
- Loaded videos etc on the new partition with my laptop.
- Connected the drive back to the Shield.
- YAY! I'm able to access the drive thru Kodi

Hopefully this will help someone.

Edit for Koying:
FYI - after doing this, SPMC would get stuck in the "waiting for External" splash screen. Not sure if this is a known issue
If you still want the solution let me know.I just found it
im having the same issue, whats the solution you found?
im running the latest shield update 7.2.1
please help
(2019-01-02, 00:16)blazzer Wrote: im having the same issue, whats the solution you found?
im running the latest shield update 7.2.1
please help
 Hi,
Basically you have to add manually the location "storage" (without quotation marks). Go to that blueish part and press enter and then you will be able to input manually whatever you want.
After that when you will enter that location you will see there all of your external drives. Mine have strange names such as FG5454GDGFRGR. Write down these names and add them manually like the "storage" location (it will look like "storage/FG5454GDGFRGR/SUB FOLDER"). Of course you can even add sub folders of these drives as long as you know their exact names.
Regards!
this is problem with ES explorer . Uninstall it and you can see your HDD by Shield and also you can see hdd by Kodi
i dont have es but i stil cant find my external disk in kodi ...i have my disk formated in EXFAT and 2 folders inside it (movies - TVshows)

Where EXCACTLY do i have to go in KODI to add sources from this drive and how ?
(2019-01-07, 13:13)toxotis70 Wrote: i dont have es but i stil cant find my external disk in kodi ...i have my disk formated in EXFAT and 2 folders inside it (movies - TVshows)

I gave you above the solution. Have you read it?
(2019-01-07, 13:18)DoDe Wrote:
(2019-01-07, 13:13)toxotis70 Wrote: i dont have es but i stil cant find my external disk in kodi ...i have my disk formated in EXFAT and 2 folders inside it (movies - TVshows)

Hello,
I've tried your solution but wit doesn't work (it doesn't do anything). Is your shield rooted or no ? Because when i try to add an external source it detects only the internal HDD not the external HHD pluged  (which can be see by ES explorer by the way)... 
How come ? 
Any help on that matter would be greatly appreciated guys...
(2019-08-06, 01:53)SephirPrime Wrote:
(2019-01-07, 13:18)DoDe Wrote:

Hello,
I've tried your solution but wit doesn't work (it doesn't do anything). Is your shield rooted or no ? Because when i try to add an external source it detects only the internal HDD not the external HHD pluged  (which can be see by ES explorer by the way)... 
How come ? 
No, it's not rooted. When I'll get home I'll post a short video how to do it.
Regards!
(2019-08-06, 11:10)DoDe Wrote:
(2019-08-06, 01:53)SephirPrime Wrote:
(2019-01-07, 13:18)DoDe Wrote:  I gave you above the solution. Have you read it?   
Hello,
How come ? 
No, it's not rooted. When I'll get home I'll post a short video how to do it.
Regards! 
Ok nice,
Thanks Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi not seeing my external drive on Shield TV0