Kodi & home automation Ideas/devices
Just curious to hear from anyone out there that has successfully linked Kodi with their existing home automation.
I know there are various types of system on the market with KNX as the industry standard and I've seen it can be achieved using udp commands and callback scripts.
At work we have recently started installing Loxone, and am fortunate that our company has set up a show home (where his children live) so I'm hoping to seize the opportunity & try to have a play around and create a cinema type experience using Loxone with Kodi.

I am probably more curious and interested to hear from anyone who has been successful on getting it to work on a more DIY level using cheaper devices for example. A Rpi and a relay board so that I can have a play around as well !

Sent from my HTC One M9
Thread moved to hardware
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I have an interest in this, although have never got any further than controlling some philips hue lights. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=145178

One reason is we have been renting for 5+ years after the Christchurch earthquake. We have now bought our own house again and I intend to experiment a lot more once we move in to our own place!

Openhab is meant to be very accomplished and has an 'XBMC' binding https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/XBMC-Binding . It is unclear to me whether this needs updating.

There is this addon, which allows you to perform arbitrary actions on kodi events http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256170
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks nickr that's a good place to start looking !

I've been looking around and have found a nice solution on a German site on how to integrate Kodi with Loxone. I'm hoping to try this over the next few weeks and I think it will be pretty simple as I can add the Logic to Loxone rather than letting Kodi do the work
http://www.loxwiki.eu/pages/viewpage.act...=view-file
The addon looks like a very basic version to the one you linked above.

For my own setup I'm going to t do a little more research, I'm currently interested in a Rpi/arduino setup. I thought to start with I'd create a small encloser with 2x 5amp sockets which I can plug a couple of Table lights into.
These can sit either side of my TV and just dim up and down on playback.
If I have success then I'll rewire everything in my lounge back to a central point and start controlling other things and see how it goes.

Sent from my HTC One M9
I use Vera to control my home it has a addon for kodi
So after a few days research it looks like the Cheapest neatest and most hassle free option is probably upgrading my Rpi2 to a Rpi3, then use the Rpi2 to run Openhab.
I will then have to get a z-wave Usb stick which will probably be the Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Z-Stick, Gen5 (as I've read others have problems remembering binds).

Next thing on the shopping list will be either a z wave dimmer switch that will replace my existing switch or use a z wave micro dimmer (it depends on whether I have a neutral at my switch, apparently some neutral free versions have voltage leaks which can cause LED lamps to glow).

I may possibly also add a ardunio with a relay board this can be used for simple on-off operating, anything that doesn't need dimming. (I'm thinking of putting a piece of 3 compartment dado trunking inside the cabinet where my TV sits and pre wiring the outputs on the relay to 5amp sockets so I can keep it neat and just plug in what I want to control). This can be done on the cheap.
May also use this in my garage and connect some garden lights to it

All in all I think it will cost £120 Uk sterling to get me going. If I want to expand it looks like each additional z wave device is between £30-£50 and at least I can take it with me if I move.

The only thing, that is putting me off at the moment is that I've read the openhab interface doesn't always reflect the state of the switch when the switch has been operated at the wall.

If anyone is interested the openhab forums are pretty good there's also a well written guide here. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/getting-sta...spberry-pi

Sent from my HTC One M9
(2016-04-29, 09:15)invisable Wrote: try to have a play around and create a cinema type experience using Loxone with Kodi.
Hi invisable, please tell us how is your project running after some time. I'm also interested in Loxone - Kodi integration.

(2016-04-29, 09:15)invisable Wrote: Sent from my HTC One M9 ...
Congratulations!

Sent from my laptop and operating system and browser, typed by bare hands ...
(2017-05-30, 00:33)dmnc_net Wrote:
(2016-04-29, 09:15)invisable Wrote: try to have a play around and create a cinema type experience using Loxone with Kodi.
Hi invisable, please tell us how is your project running after some time. I'm also interested in Loxone - Kodi integration.

(2016-04-29, 09:15)invisable Wrote: Sent from my HTC One M9 ...
Congratulations!

Sent from my laptop and operating system and browser, typed by bare hands ...
I haven't had too much time to play around with Openhab.
With Loxone I didn't get as much time as I would have liked to play, but by I ended up using this addon.
http://www.loxwiki.eu/pages/viewpage.act...=view-file

I just used it to trigger the actions, Then using Lorine to create the rules.
First off I created a virtual button on the app call cinema mode to turn it on or off.

Then playing a movie back triggered :-
Low level lighting scene (IF lux level low outside)
Drop blinds (IF lux level high)

Pause movie :-
Select a different medium light level lighting scene .

Stop movie :-
Raise blinds (IF high lux level outside)
Select normal lighting scene (if low Lux outside)

Sent from my HTC One M9

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi & home automation Ideas/devices0