v16 Ati Radeon X1600 issues with GUI and video playing
Hello everybody, I recently updated my multiroom mysql based Kodi configuration from 15.2 to 16.1. I use very different hardware settings, 2 pc windows 10 intel x86, 1 intel atom with openelec, 1 raspberry pi with openelec and at last an old iMac 5,1 intel core 2 duo radeon x1600 with bootcamp and windows 7 sp 1 which is the one who's giving me many problems.

Since the update from Isengard to Jarvis I experienced many graphical issues, in the video reproduction and also in the GUI.

I tried many different solutions without success.

the issue is present in fullscreen and in windowed mode
i tried clean install with default settings of 16.0 16.1rc1 16.1rc2 16.1
tried some different skins to resolve at least a part of the problem
the issue wasn't present at all with Isengard
tried to update/change graphic card drivers but due to the age of the card I didn't find many options
windows aero on/off
Directx reinstall
verified directx11 by dxdiag

System Configuration:
iMac 5,1
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,16 ghz
Ram 2Gb 667mhz ddr2
Video adapter ATI Radeon x1600 running @1680x1050
Os: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 Bit via Bootcamp (Mac OsX 10.6.8)
Kodi 16.1 Jarvis default configuration full installation

Debug Log: http://pastebin.com/zA50YppV

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/8u0tR

I could revert the installation to Isengard obviously but in this way I will lose the mysql database synchronization between my 5 kodi installations.
I know that the video card is quite old and that I have an uncommon configuration but Kodi (Xbmc) has always been a great program for reviving such old computers giving them a new life.
Any help please? Wink

Thanks in advance for your kind attention
It could be Compatibility issue with the graphic card you can check the below link for compatibility issues

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239

Regards,
Judy Smith | Tech Support
www.o365cloudexperts.com
Thank you Judy for your answer, in the list you provided my card is reported as not compatible with Open-CL language.
I cannot state if this compatibility is necessary to let Kodi 16 works fine, Open-CL is an analogue made by Apple for OpenGL and similar languages, my installation runs under bootcamp with windows 7 using Ati catalyst windows graphic drivers. For what I can understand that compatibility shouldn't be necessary. Sad
Can you get the Windows 10 driver updated? Go to AMD.com and see what you can get hold of from there for your Win7 OS for that ATI card. May need an update to be more DX11 compliant.
Radeon X1600 is not even Windows 10 compliant, much less Jarvis compliant. IIRC, it may not even be certified for Windows 7.

I'm surprised it claims DX 11, because that card dates back to 2005.

My Radeon HD 4350 card is DX 10.1 and will not run Jarvis 16.1 Final satisfactorily.

ATI has abandoned their older cards, don't expect a new driver.
(2016-05-01, 16:25)donbrew Wrote: Radeon X1600 is not even Windows 10 compliant, much less Jarvis compliant. IIRC, it may not even be certified for Windows 7.

I'm surprised it claims DX 11, because that card dates back to 2005.

My Radeon HD 4350 card is DX 10.1 and will not run Jarvis 16.1 Final satisfactorily.

ATI has abandoned their older cards, don't expect a new driver.
I did wonder at the name... old Radeons... ouch. In that case it will be much less of a headache for the OP to find a modern cheap replacement. Fighting to keep a card that old working gets tough when a replacement can be had for small change.
The last legacy driver available is the 10.3 and dxdiag reports that directx 11 are in use, I don't know how much this is true or not. I confirm that the card is not Windows 10 compliant. Unfortunately I cannot change my graphic card because this is a iMac and the card is soldered on the main board.
Kodi 15.2 was working astoundingly well and I have been a little bit surprised that version 16 had introduced such a major improvement turning my configuration in an unusable piece of hardware.
Is there any sort of compatibility mode for people using not so recent hardware? A possibility in the config for forcing the use of older directx or something like that?
Compatibility Mode: Use the 15.2 working.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
As you can see from my initial post I have a multiroom installation that shares a mysql database, 15.2 will read/write from the older db not the new one.
My post is just for understanding if the problem is fixable, please do not take it as a critic for the work of such many developers or a critic to Kodi itself or a nostalgic post on why you bad guys don't think about my particular hardware configuration when choosing this or that tech framework , that was not my purpose.
Ahhh... the fun inflexibility of solder. It sounds like one OS down, two to go. You could try swapping back to the native MacOS and see what KODI is like. Or bring the iMac into the Openelec fold. Have you ever tried that out on the hardware?
Apple OS raised the white flag a long ago, I was indeed thinking of trying an openelec solution also on this machine but I haven't read anything about this yet. I would like also to give a try to a dual booting system with ubuntu to see if it works.
After that the conversion to a digital photoframe will be inevitable...
(2016-05-02, 12:16)battista Wrote: Apple OS raised the white flag a long ago, I was indeed thinking of trying an openelec solution also on this machine but I haven't read anything about this yet. I would like also to give a try to a dual booting system with ubuntu to see if it works.
After that the conversion to a digital photoframe will be inevitable...
Whack Kodibuntu onto a USB stick. Quickest way to test.

And yes... how dare you use Apple Hardware for longer than four years! Have you seen the damage you have done to Apple's share price by selfishly holding on to that old hardware and not buying three replacements. Big Grin
Sorry Steve, please forgive me, I am a sinner. Smile
Is just a piece of crap that was in garbage bin in my office, I hate to see silicon wasted.
(2016-05-02, 12:43)battista Wrote: Sorry Steve, please forgive me, I am a sinner. Smile
Is just a piece of crap that was in garbage bin in my office, I hate to see silicon wasted.
The fashion now is to turn them into coffee tables... Or may you should gut the case and put a Raspberry Pi in there leading to the obvious quality Hardware Solution of an Apple Pi.
By the way Kodibuntu installed in dual boot and upgraded to 16.1 is working perfectly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ati Radeon X1600 issues with GUI and video playing0