Please change installation question :-(
Hi,

I've been using Kodi and xbmc for a few years now. Every time I upgrade, I'm asked "Do you want to install an update to the existing application?"

Now at this point the logical response alternatives would be "yes" or "no".

But that's not what I'm given. There's an explanation about what the updated version will gain access to, followed by a colon.

The two response alternatives are now "New" and "All".

They don't seem to bear any relation to the original question, i.e., update existing version, yes or no.

The problem is that the original question has four possible responses which have been conflated into two.

"Do you want to update your existing version without losing any data?": "Yes" or "No".

"Do you want to do a clean install?" "Yes" or "No".

Having conflated the alternatives, clearly a yes or no answer wouldn't work, which explains the far from intuitive (and really pretty illogical) "New" and " All".

I suggest offering just wo options:

Do you want do
A) Clean install (you'll lose all stored data)
or
B) Simple update (you'll keep all your stored data)

I've just installed v16.1. Unfortunately, I can't see whether I managed to keep my data because Kodi won't start. But that's another thread
Which operating system are we talking about here?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
sounds like Window however i have no idea what the intention is.

If it's Android go ask Google if they change it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Sounds like android to me. The bit where it tells you what new permissions (if any) the updated application will require, the 'all' bit shows you all the access permissions required rather than just any new ones.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Forgot to mention the OS. It's Android and the tv box is Q7 Quad Core Google Android 4.2 mk888 Cortex-A9 1.6Ghz TV box

I obviously didn't make myself clear enough. I merely tried to say that I personally - obviously the only person in the world - find the question posed by the update system confusing. I'm sure the alternatives "New" and "All" make sense to some people, but they don't to me.

But if it's a Google issue, thanks for pointing it out. Appreciate it. Just wonder who in the Google universe one is supposed to contact.
Then the answer is: Ask google
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please change installation question :-(0