Hard Drive
I googled and couldn't find a good answer for this.

What is the minimum free space I should leave in a Hard Drive after ripping movies. I currently have a 4TB with 51G left. Is it ok to continue to add movies until no more movies can be added? or is there a recommended space i should leave on the disk.

Thanks in advance
I believe I can safely say, without fear of contradiction, that...it depends.

Is the OS on this drive? Is it ssd or mechanical? Googling reveals a wide variety of opinions.

Personally, I like a minimum of 25% free on the OS drive, and 5 -> 10% on storage drives.

But I'm probably just weird...
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Thanks!

It is a mechanical drive and is use for storage. OS is in SSD drive
Well, you see what my practices are, but I'm sure it's not an exact science (lol, computers, not an exact science...)

Storage is pretty cheap these days, if it was me, I'd buy another 4 TB drive, $120 - $150 U.S. and leave the 50g of free space on the existing drive.

Just my opinion, of course, YMMV
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Yeah it depends on if you have anything set to write to it for anything. If your OS is on another drive just leave a small amount just in case anything is wroting temp files to it 5gb should be fine.

At my work we have a crappy amount of disk space on dev machines. The drive contains the OS as well as storage and i'm fine running it down to less than 5gb free despite the ridiculous buffer needed for some heavy apps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hard Drive0