Linux Cannot open Kodi media center in ubuntu 14.04
Thanks for that, will do, and I also need some shut eye.
Would appreciate you walking me through the steps to install the required drivers etc.
Just put this into the terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-358 nvidia-settings

after doing this I put kodi into the terminal but kodi would not open. So restarted ubuntu now I enter my password and I'm asked for my password again, just going round in circles.

So would just like to know if the above were the correct commands to try and correct the problem I had with not being able to open kodi. I now have the bigger problem of not being able to sign in to ubuntu.

Should I reinstall ubuntu 14.04 and start again?
There is a very easy answer to this... the database files sound corrupt

go to accessories, then file manager
enable hidden folders in your view
go into the .kodi folder
the go into user data
delete the database folder

This should fix it.
Cannot get past the desktop page in ubuntu 14.04. I type my password in, the desktop goes blank for a few seconds and returns to enter password. Just going round in circles.
Start Ubuntu in recovery mode (hold down shift while starting up if you don't normally see the grub menu) and choose "drop to root shell prompt".

Once in a terminal, navigate to your normal user home directory and delete .Xauthority

Reboot and see if you can login.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
All I get is mpu-401 device not found or device busy. Then loads ubuntu desktop page. Back to square 1.

I'm off the air again till Sunday.

Thanks for getting back.
(2016-05-12, 08:50)Yorky Wrote: All I get is mpu-401 device not found or device busy. Then loads ubuntu desktop page. Back to square 1.

I'm off the air again till Sunday.

Thanks for getting back.

Please clarify "back to square 1" !!

Do you mean Kodi doesn't start, or you still cannot log into Ubuntu ??
Now when I turn on the pc ubuntu asks me for my password, I enter my password the screen goes blank and then asks me for my password again. It's the correct password but for some reason ubuntu does not accept my password, so I cannot get past the password stage. So I don't know if kodi will open as I cannot get past login page.

It all went wrong when put this into the terminal

sudo apt-get update

The commands I put into into the terminal I got off the internet. (I should have waited for you to talk me through the stages) Is what I put into the terminal correct?
(2016-05-11, 17:23)black_eagle Wrote: Start Ubuntu in recovery mode (hold down shift while starting up if you don't normally see the grub menu) and choose "drop to root shell prompt".

Once in a terminal, navigate to your normal user home directory and delete .Xauthority

Reboot and see if you can login.

(2016-05-15, 15:08)Yorky Wrote: Now when I turn on the pc ubuntu asks me for my password, I enter my password the screen goes blank and then asks me for my password again. It's the correct password but for some reason ubuntu does not accept my password, so I cannot get past the password stage. So I don't know if kodi will open as I cannot get past login page.

It all went wrong when put this into the terminal

sudo apt-get update

The commands I put into into the terminal I got off the internet. (I should have waited for you to talk me through the stages) Is what I put into the terminal correct?

Yes most likely it is correct. See if my quote above helps you to login. I've seen this issue before and it was almost always related to .Xauthority (which is linked to your graphics drivers).
(hold down shift while starting up if you don't normally see the grub menu) I hold down shift and then this comes up...... mpu-401 device not found or device busy. Then the screen brings up the page that asks me for my password, I enter my password the screen goes blank and then asks me for my password again. It's the correct password but for some reason ubuntu does not accept my password, so I cannot get past the password stage. So I don't know if kodi will open as I cannot get past login page.

If I could get past the password page, I have no idea how to "Once in a terminal, navigate to your normal user home directory and delete .Xauthority"
What are you running Ubuntu on ?

Turn on PC, hold down one of the shift keys until you see a menu on screen. Use the arrow keys to go to 'Advanced options for Ubuntu'. Press <enter>. Use the arrow keys again to pick the option with (recovery mode) at the end. Post back once you see the recovery mode menu.
I am running ubuntu on an old tower pc.

I have held down the shift key no menu comes up. all that comes up is what I described.

. mpu-401 device not found or device busy. Then the screen brings up the page that asks me for my password, I enter my password the screen goes blank and then asks me for my password again. It's the correct password but for some reason ubuntu does not accept my password, so I cannot get past the password stage. So I don't know if kodi will open as I cannot get past login page.
I have reinstalled ubuntu 14.04. I then downloaded kodi as stated by DaVu, then I tried to open kodi as stated by black_eagle via the terminal and it WORKED. I don't know what is wrong but when I use the mouse pointer in the kodi media center it is hard to control. By that I mean it is very hard to guide the mouse pointer to say music or video etc.

I still cannot open kodi from the dash or from the icon I put into the launcher. One of the reasons why I have tried to install kodi is I was told that it would fix the problem I have, when I put a dvd on, or play short golf clips on youtube the sound is ok but the clip or dvd is not continuous, they both play like one frame at a time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot open Kodi media center in ubuntu 14.040