• 9(current)
Addons that delete competitor's addons
Let's just put a nag screen the weak/uneducated should use MrMC and be done with it Wink
(2016-05-04, 11:27)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-05-04, 11:23)primaeval Wrote:
(2016-05-04, 11:21)trogggy Wrote: Can't you just take some responsibility for what you install?

We have been here many times before. I can, but most of the users out there are not clever enough to do that.

Sometimes the strong/clever have to help the weak/uneducated.
How incredibly patronising.

Sorry but I am quite old-fashioned and believe in helping others in need. I grew up before the neo-liberal selfishness took over in the 1980s. Maybe you are just used to not having anyone depend on you. I don't know your personal circumstances.
(2016-05-04, 11:34)primaeval Wrote: Sorry but I am quite old-fashioned and believe in helping others in need. I grew up before the neo-liberal selfishness took over in the 1980s. Maybe you are just used to not having anyone depend on you. I don't know your personal circumstances.
Yeah, you're obviously lovely, and anyone who likes kodi not being locked-down is a selfish brute.
(2016-05-04, 11:42)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-05-04, 11:34)primaeval Wrote: Sorry but I am quite old-fashioned and believe in helping others in need. I grew up before the neo-liberal selfishness took over in the 1980s. Maybe you are just used to not having anyone depend on you. I don't know your personal circumstances.
Yeah, you're obviously lovely, and anyone who likes kodi not being locked-down is a selfish brute.

A serious question: Do you honestly think all the Kodi users around the world, who speak different languages than English, and are not very well educated about technology, old and young, are able to evaluate whether an addon that they came across on YouTube or had pre-installed is legal or dangerous?
No, I don't.
Your mission to make it completely safe to pirate stuff without having to put any thought or effort in is a noble one.
(2016-05-04, 11:51)trogggy Wrote: No, I don't.
Your mission to make it completely safe to pirate stuff without having to put any thought or effort in is a noble one.

Ok. My neoliberal selfish side wants to be able to develop my own legal addons and have users test them without any danger to their file system from any accidental mistake I might make.

I also would like to know if I decide to try anyone else's legal but unofficial addon whether someone has spotted any problem with it without having to trawl through hundreds of forum posts if possible.

I would also prefer to install that addon in a safe sandboxed Kodi environment so I don't have to worry too much about how dangerous it is.

I would like the Kodi installation program to set up the nice safe sandboxed environment by default for me too as I don't want to have to create a limited user account by myself on every computer I install Kodi on.
I'd like the moon on a stick.

Edit: please sort it out for me. Shouldn't be hard.
(2016-05-04, 12:08)trogggy Wrote: I'd like the moon on a stick.

Edit: please sort it out for me. Shouldn't be hard.

I know where you deserve a stick. Tongue
(2016-05-04, 12:10)primaeval Wrote: I know where you deserve a stick. Tongue
Likewise.
(2016-05-04, 12:03)primaeval Wrote: I would also prefer to install that addon in a safe sandboxed Kodi environment so I don't have to worry too much about how dangerous it is.

I would like the Kodi installation program to set up the nice safe sandboxed environment by default for me too as I don't want to have to create a limited user account by myself on every computer I install Kodi on.

Install a clean Kodi into a virtual machine then. Snapshot it. Install what you want into Kodi in the virtual machine. It matters not one bit whether it works, deletes itself, makes Kodi stack smash, whatever. Just re-boot the virtual machine from the clean snapshot and it never happened.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Don't make me close this (dead-end) thread, please.
@primaeval We got your point
@trogggy Don't feed the troll Wink
(2016-05-04, 12:18)Koying Wrote: Don't make me close this (dead-end) thread, please.
@primaeval We got your point
@trogggy Don't feed the troll Wink

OK. I give in.
I take it you all are happy just to leave everything as it is.
I won't try to convince you any more.
This really made me think. Some addon creators do not upload their addons to the official repo for whatever reasons. The German kodinerds forum even has two own repos (their position to legal/illegal addons is basically the same as here though). While I basically trust the guys I think it's wise to not create temptations.

I have Google Music, Amazon Prime Music and Prime Video addons installed. To make them work I had to enter my Google and Amazon account usernames and password. Can these theoretically be obtained by another addon? This is what I would call a pretty big temptation.
(2016-05-04, 13:39)DarkHelmet Wrote: This really made me think. Some addon creators do not upload their addons to the official repo for whatever reasons. The German kodinerds forum even has two own repos (their position to legal/illegal addons is basically the same as here though). While I basically trust the guys I think it's wise to not create temptations.

I have Google Music, Amazon Prime Music and Prime Video addons installed. To make them work I had to enter my Google and Amazon account usernames and password. Can these theoretically be obtained by another addon? This is what I would call a pretty big temptation.

Do you enter them each time or are they stored? If they are stored then chances are they will be plain text that can be accessed by any other addon to do with what it wants.

I know for a fact that at least one 3rd party addon (named after a condiment that goes well with fries) accesses and modifies, without the user's consent, the settings of an addon I develop.

I know another addon developer who a few years ago scraped a number of the pastebin sites harvesting potential usernames and passwords from XBMC log files that had been uploaded.
(2016-05-04, 13:39)DarkHelmet Wrote: This really made me think. Some addon creators do not upload their addons to the official repo for whatever reasons. The German kodinerds forum even has two own repos (their position to legal/illegal addons is basically the same as here though). While I basically trust the guys I think it's wise to not create temptations.

Let's clear this up... Yes, any personal information entered into a plugin can theoretically be stolen...

Trust that plugins found here (though not in the official repo) should be considered safe and legal... There are MANY factors that keep plugins out of the official repo.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Addons that delete competitor's addons2