[Fixed] MMAL playback and Live TV deinterlacing
Have tried a couple of recent builds of LibreElec, and at the moment it appears that MMAL Accelerated playback doesn't currently deinterlace to 50p even when MMAL Advanced deinterlace is enabled, and you need to disable MMAL Acceleration and enable just OMX Acceleration.

OMX Playback deinterlaces fine to 50p with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing enabled.

Happens with both 576/50i MPEG2 and 1080/50i H264 (and I do have the correct licence keys installed)

Pretty certain it hasn't always been like this.

If you're in Europe you'll only notice this issue on native 50i content (Sport, Entertainment, BBC News Channel etc.) as most drama, documentary etc. is shot at 25p and will display OK with no deinterlacing (i.e. a default weave) If you're in the UK you can clearly see it on the ticker at the bottom of the screen on the BBC News Channel (107 for HD, 130 for SD) even if you can't see it on other motion (I'm a bit eagle-eyed about deinterlacing...)

Surprised nobody else has posted about this - I've been testing other platforms recently. Maybe nobody is watching Live TV on their Pi?
I've posted a few issues regarding playback using omx as well but it never really got looked into. Video playback seems incredibly buggy in the latest build.

I'm getting audio/video out of sync using omx player and live tv. You have to watch a channel for awhile but it happens. Mainly on HD channels

I haven't experienced your problem but that's not to say I just haven't noticed.

We'll wait and see what happens.
I don't believe master has this issue, so it may be worth trying a Milhouse build.
(I initially thought it did, but that is only without the MPEG-2 codec licence).

I'll have a look at Jarvis branch.

EDIT: Actually the sample you provided does have an issue on master - it is configured as 25fps and alternate deinterlaced frames are dropped.
My other interlaced samples (live TV recording and VOB files) don't have this effect and behave correctly.
Possibly the issue is caused by your sample starting as 25p and then switching to 50i.
(2016-05-02, 15:18)popcornmix Wrote: I don't believe master has this issue, so it may be worth trying a Milhouse build.
(I initially thought it did, but that is only without the MPEG-2 codec licence).

I'll have a look at Jarvis branch.

EDIT: Actually the sample you provided does have an issue on master - it is configured as 25fps and alternate deinterlaced frames are dropped.
My other interlaced samples (live TV recording and VOB files) don't have this effect and behave correctly.
Possibly the issue is caused by your sample starting as 25p and then switching to 50i.

I'll have to find an old Millhouse build with DVD support.

The VOB I sent is a truncated version of the first VOB of a commercially released DVD - I just dd-ed the first 200MB of it (bs=1m count=200) - so I'd expect it to play OK? I didn't think the DVD standard allowed for p25 MPEG2, isn't it always i25 (aka 50i)?

Media Info :
Code:
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
Format settings, picture structure : Frame
Duration : 5mn 56s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 167 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 9 200 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.402
Time code of first frame : 00:04:42:05
Time code source : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
Stream size : 177 MiB (88%)
I believe Milhouse builds support vob (just not dvd iso).

I think there is a simple fix - can you try enabling "sync playback to display"? (I suspect that will work on Jarvis or nightly build).

I've added a patch to newclock5 that should fix the "sync playback to display" disabled case in tonight's milhouse build.
(2016-05-01, 19:23)noggin Wrote: Surprised nobody else has posted about this - I've been testing other platforms recently. Maybe nobody is watching Live TV on their Pi?

I watch Live TV everyday on my rpi3 and use the latest milhouse LE build #0502 and watch mpeg2 sd channels every day (nickjr).

Deinterlacing works just fine for me with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing enabled.

Only issue i have is autorefreshrate switch from 60hz to 50hz with Live TV playback freezes when switching to 50hz.

Did also tried the latest LE milhouse build if yes did this occurs to you?
(2016-05-03, 19:34)Pienoet Wrote:
(2016-05-01, 19:23)noggin Wrote: Surprised nobody else has posted about this - I've been testing other platforms recently. Maybe nobody is watching Live TV on their Pi?

I watch Live TV everyday on my rpi3 and use the latest milhouse LE build #0502 and watch mpeg2 sd channels every day (nickjr).

Deinterlacing works just fine for me with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing enabled.

Only issue i have is autorefreshrate switch from 60hz to 50hz with Live TV playback freezes when switching to 50hz.

Did also tried the latest LE milhouse build if yes did this occurs to you?

I'll try the latest LibreElec builds here and report back. NB I have no problems with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing with OMX playback on my build, it's only MMAL playback acceleration that was an issue. (That's with a 7.0.0.release LibreElec build)
Have just tried New LibreELEC.tv Krypton build #0503 and have fluid deinterlacing with both OMX Player and MMAL acceleration, both with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing.
(2016-05-04, 00:17)noggin Wrote: Have just tried New LibreELEC.tv Krypton build #0503 and have fluid deinterlacing with both OMX Player and MMAL acceleration, both with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing.

So no issue with refreshrate switching from 60h to 50hz when watchin Live TV?
(2016-05-04, 00:50)Pienoet Wrote:
(2016-05-04, 00:17)noggin Wrote: Have just tried New LibreELEC.tv Krypton build #0503 and have fluid deinterlacing with both OMX Player and MMAL acceleration, both with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing.

So no issue with refreshrate switching from 60h to 50hz when watchin Live TV?

I run my GUI at 50Hz (as most of my viewing is 50Hz and that avoids a display re-sync) and don't have a huge amount of 60Hz content so that's not an issue I often hit. Will have a look when I get a chance.
noggin, Milhouse has kindly made a LE 7 test build with the deinterlace fix in:
http://milhouse.libreelec.tv/builds/stable/RPi2

Would be useful if you can confirm that build is good (the fix is a little different on Jarvis).
If it is okay it will be in subsequent stable builds.
Testing now.

MMAL acceleration of BBC News HD (H264 1080i) and SD (MPEG2 576i) with MMAL Advanced deinterlacing Live TV does now deliver 50p motion - but it takes a good few seconds to kick in.

OMX Player on the same channel kicks in at 50i to 50p instantly. (GOP related?) However my off-air signal has got some corruption at the moment - so it could be related to that (ancient aerial feeder in need of replacement...)
Is this the right setting for MMAL deinterlacing? I dont use OMX
And how can see if a stream is 720i or 1080i in the codec info screen?
(2016-05-04, 17:44)Warez Wrote: Is this the right setting for MMAL deinterlacing? I dont use OMX
And how can see if a stream is 720i or 1080i in the codec info screen?

That looks like 'MMAL Advanced' is enabled (is that Dutch?)

There isn't a 720i format - the four common (really only now) TV formats are 480i, 576i, 720p and 1080i (*). (There is some confusion because some flavours of 480i and 576i are 720 samples wide, and 720p is 720 lines high but there are also 576i and 480i variants with 704x576, 544x576, 352x480 etc.) Convention is to give the vertical NOT horizontal resolution (as it is common to subsample and vary the number of samples horizontally)

If you press 'o' (or Guide if you have an MCE RC6 remote) when playing a video you will get an on-screen display which will include the video resolution - like 720x576, 1280x720, 1920x1080 etc. in the D( ) line.
On the line below, the P( ) line you will see fr: 25 or fr:50 (for European TV).

If you are watching Live or Recorded TV in Europe then 720x576, 704x576, 544x576 etc. will be 576i25 (also known as 576/50i), and you'll see fr as 25. If you see 1280x720 you will be watching 720p50 aka 720/50p (and will see fr:50). If you see 1920x1080, 1440x1080 etc. then you will be watching 1080i25 aka 1080/50i (and will see fr:25)

(Confusingly there are two ways to write video standards - one uses the frame rate at all times 576i25, 720p50, 1080i25, and the other uses the frame rate for progressive standards 720/50p, and the field rate for interlaced 576/50i and 1080/50i. There are two fields in every interlaced frame)

(*) 1080p50 is about to arrive in Germany on DVB-T2, and 2160/50p and 59.94p is testing on DVB-S2 etc. In Britain we used to use a 377i (aka 405 line) black and white (we nearly went NTSC colour with it...) standard from 1936 until around 1985, and in France they used a 737i (aka 819 line) B&W standard from the late-40s until the mid-80s. (Yep - technically France had an HD B&W TV system)
Something like this? Sky sports stream
And is auto oke... or just set it to on?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Fixed] MMAL playback and Live TV deinterlacing0