[Fixed] MMAL playback and Live TV deinterlacing
(2016-05-04, 21:01)Warez Wrote: Something like this? Sky sports stream
And is auto oke... or just set it to on?

Yeah - that's a low quality 640x360/29 h264 stream at 0.37Mb/s. That's a lot lower than SD quality, and kind of the resolution you'd have expected for a phone screen about 5 years ago. It's likely to be progressive, but at a 29fps frame rate (which is too low for decent sports material) For comparison, the highest quality iPlayer feeds from the BBC are now 1280x720/50 at 5.3Mb/s. (They are progressive) The audio is 44.1kHz AAC. That is unusual for broadcast, (which would be 48k usually). I suspect that is aimed at mobile phones (Android runs at 44.1k for audio traditionally and has AAC decode)

For a normal satellite broadcast version of Sky Sports you receive with a Sky dish and watch on your HDTV I'd expect 1920x1080/25 h264 at 10+Mb/s. (And that would be interlaced so would deliver 50, not 25, images per second)

The D(Video line includes :h264 which tells you it's h264 and the 640x360 tells you the resolution.
The P( line includes fr:29.000 which tells you the source frame rate is 29.000 fps (which is an odd one) and dc:mmal-h264 which tells you it's being decoded by the MMAL h264 decoder (i.e. a hardware decoder) and the Mb/s:0.37 tells you the instantaneous bitrate is 0.37Mb/s.

640x360 is a non-broadcast low-resolution web-stream type format. It's not a format any broadcaster has ever used for transmission. It would be described as 360p. (It's equivalent to the resolution of an NTSC SD letterbox 16:9 video that has been cropped to remove the black)

That is very unlikely to be an interlaced feed (it's not a broadcast resolution or frame rate), it looks like a web stream (Sky Go, Now TV?) or similar low quality feed (unofficial...) - so I'd leave interlace settings to Auto.

The only interlaced formats you are likely to encounter will be resolutions that end in the resolution bit of the D(Video line) that end in : x576 x480 or x1080. There isn't a 360i resolution used, so that stream you are playing is definitely 360/29p (so will have lower quality motion than a 50i source like the original Sky Sports UK broadcast on satellite)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Fixed] MMAL playback and Live TV deinterlacing0