Dsp manager
Hi wisler,

I use DSP daily at home.
Recently, i noticed something, maybe a bug or not.
I mainly use it for gain correction (which works perfectly) and free surround, whose way to work is difficult to understand.
For instance, whatever the movie/tv channel i watch, the plugin doenst activate, where im pretty sure it did work before. I use latest Librelec. So i tried to use custom settings in the plugjn (always activate) but i cant access to them from the plugin in the system menu nor in the audio gui menu when playing a video... because its not in use apparently, even if its active in pluggin manager.
Do you have an idea ?

Bibi
Logs?
I m not sure i should provide logs for something i m not sure is an issue.
What i wanted to say is that its pretty difficult to understand how you set up DSP addon, and it adds complexity to understand if things happen as they should or not
Without logs, we can't help you Blush

Try to enable adsp.freesurround from the OSD. Enable AudioDSP, activate adsp.freesurround in AudioDSP Manager. Start content (movie or music ...) and navigate to audio settigns in the OSD. Then open AudioDSP menu and active adsp.freesurround master mode.

Quote:What i wanted to say is that its pretty difficult to understand how you set up DSP addon, and it adds complexity to understand if things happen as they should or not
Yeah I know we need a better usability, but so far Kodi's AudioDSP implementation is in a very early stage. We probably need someone who will create tutorial/video for it.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.
(2016-05-13, 19:23)wisler Wrote: Try to enable adsp.freesurround from the OSD. Enable AudioDSP, activate adsp.freesurround in AudioDSP Manager. Start content (movie or music ...) and navigate to audio settigns in the OSD. Then open AudioDSP menu and active adsp.freesurround master mode.

Yeah I know we need a better usability, but so far Kodi's AudioDSP implementation is in a very early stage. We probably need someone who will create tutorial/video for it.
I know some that have difficulty simply switching on an amp and changing to the correct input to get sound, so adjusting DSP settings is a no go for them.
Luckily, HDMI and ARC to amp has made it much simpler as they can leave the AMP off and listen to sound via the TV speakers (without them noticing any difference) Big Grin

Now i'm not new to tech but i briefly looked at trying the DSP addon but after browsing the repos, it was confusing as to what was needed to be installed and what section to find (within what repo) Tongue
So, reading the above process to turn on DSP makes no sence from a usability perspective as the general kodi user will be even more lostConfused

I know it's a WIP but it must be simpler than above and approaching something like:
1. install DSP addon (from repo?)
2. configure DSP addon (part of this should process should pull in the desired filters which are selected during the configuration)
3. configure DSP audio settings
4. allow a small subset of adjustments to dsp settings while watching videos (normal mode, larger subset for expert mode?)...

And the DSP addon should be bundled as part of Kodi (while the dsp filters should be easier to install - part of a separate dsp addon repo/section?)Tongue

So i hope your considering usability factors during developement and not as an afterthought.
I hope creating a video tutorial of a convoluted process is not going to be the end solution Confused

Guess i'm saying the obvious but at the moment the DSP addon has a WAF approaching 0%
I'm a XBMC novice :)
I know that is currently very confusing that's why I created the branch AudioDSP/V2/usability_core_fixes.

You can see my first screenshots in my latest twitter message.

(2016-06-28, 09:49)skylarking Wrote: Now i'm not new to tech but i briefly looked at trying the DSP addon but after browsing the repos, it was confusing as to what was needed to be installed and what section to find (within what repo) Tongue
So, reading the above process to turn on DSP makes no sence from a usability perspective as the general kodi user will be even more lostConfused

I know it's a WIP but it must be simpler than above and approaching something like:
1. install DSP addon (from repo?)
2. configure DSP addon (part of this should process should pull in the desired filters which are selected during the configuration)
3. configure DSP audio settings
4. allow a small subset of adjustments to dsp settings while watching videos (normal mode, larger subset for expert mode?)...

And the DSP addon should be bundled as part of Kodi (while the dsp filters should be easier to install - part of a separate dsp addon repo/section?)Tongue

So i hope your considering usability factors during developement and not as an afterthought.
I hope creating a video tutorial of a convoluted process is not going to be the end solution Confused

Guess i'm saying the obvious but at the moment the DSP addon has a WAF approaching 0%
Right adsp is wip and it was merged without minimal points that could break other settings or modules. This is the reason why the usability is quite bad. Furthermore our developers and I needed something to play to see what works good and what is buggy, confusing or ugglyBlush
But we wouldn't make it harder to get the new features for advanced users with the compromise that the usability could be quite confusing.
I say if my grand mother could use AudioDSP then the usability is awesome for non tech people, but would be less powerful for hard core users like audiophiles or meWink

That's why I plan to develop at first the UI settings that suits power users, but with a better usability. Then I will try to work with settings levels like we already have in system settings with Basic, Standard, Advanced and Expert. I guess this is the best approach and will suit most use cases. But I can't say when this will be available, because at first we need a better integration of AudioDSP in Kodi's settings itself, profile support, more add-ons and a better framework that makes developing add-ons easier.

In my mind I have the following steps for audiophiles (probably not the final ones):
  1. Use an existing/integrated adsp add-on or install a new one from an repository
  2. Order your modes with AudioDSP Manager
  3. Configure the modes
  4. Optional: create a new profile and it's conditions like input channel amount, content type (music, video, ...), ...
  5. Start your content
  6. Optional: select your profile it doesn't suit your needs or adjust your settings during runtime
  7. Optional: share your profiles with other users

But so far I can't say much about all required steps, because I need something to play with and test users like my grand mother to see which step is confusing for her.Blush
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dsp manager0