Windows 10 Storage Spaces
Ok, not directly a Kodi question but I store all of my Kodi media on this and you guys are smart. I have two 5tb drives in a Windows 10 Storage Spaces mirror (their version ofRAID 1). I want to split the drives up so I can access them independently without losing whats stored on them but can't seem to figure out how. The only options I see in the control panel for storage spaces is: view files, change, delete, rename. I've asked on Tom's Hardware and no one seems to know anything about it. Tons of info on removing disks from storage pools but nothing on separating mirrored drives. Thanks for any help!
If it's a proper mirror, then both drives are identical. You should be able to physically take one drive out and still have your data intact.
If that works, then just remove the drive you took out from storage spaces...
1: Nvidia Shield TV (2017) 16GB - 2: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 3: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 4: Beelink MinixMXIII II
NAS: unRAID 6.3 Pro • Case (NZXT H440) • MB (MBD-X7SBE with SIM1U+) • CPU (Xeon X3360) • RAM (4x2GB DDR2) • SATA (6 On MB, 8 AOC-SAT2-MV8) • PSU (EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2) • HDD (2 x Toshiba 3TB parity, 6 x WD Red 3TB xfs, 1 x 512GB SSD cache)  • UPS (APC BR1000G)
That's the question, whether or not it's a true mirror. The thing that concerns me is that the two drives show up as a single drive (ESmile in windows unless I go into the Computer Management application.
From Microshaft website:

How do I remove a drive from a pool?

If you created a pool in Windows 10 or upgraded an existing pool, you'll be able to remove a drive from it. The data stored on that drive will be moved to other drives in the pool, and you'll be free to use the drive for something else.

Go to the taskbar, type Storage Spaces in the search box, and select Storage Spaces from the list of search results.

Select Change settings > Physical drives to see all the drives in your pool.

Find the drive you want to remove and select Prepare for removal > Prepare for removal. Leave your PC plugged in until the drive is ready to be removed. This could take several hours, depending on how much data you have stored there.

(Optional) To speed up drive preparation, prevent your PC from going to sleep. Type Power and sleep in the search box on the taskbar, then select Power & sleep settings. Under When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after, select Never.

When the drive is listed as Ready to remove, select Remove > Remove drive. Now, you can disconnect the drive from your PC.
Note

If you run into problems when you try to prepare the drive for removal, it might be because you don't have enough free space in the pool to store all the data from the drive you want to remove. Try adding a new drive to the pool that's as large as the drive you plan to remove and then try again.
I don't have the Remove option, only rename (I mistyped in my initial post)
Storage spaces mirror requires 2 disks or more. So it will not present the option to remove a disk if you only have 2 disks in the pool.
That is only common sense. By setting up a mirrored space you have told it that you want all data to be mirrored on 2 disks and it cannot satisfy that requirement if there is only 1 disk in the pool.

Your only option is to physically remove one disk and force the space into a degraded state. Remount & reformat the removed disk outside of the pool, as a normal independent volume. Then copy all data from the space onto this volume. Then finally delete the space, remove the remaining drive from the pool and remount it also as another independent volume.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 Storage Spaces0