artwork
Hello,

I am new to Kodi and am researching the proper naming conventions for image files (poster.jpg vs. <moviename>-poster.jpg) as well as their proper placement within the folder structure so that Kodi can properly scrape them and render them.

Form what I gather, the main difference pertains to WHERE the image is placed within the "movies" directory. Is this correct?

Scenario 1 : If I am keeping the image files within separate folders for each movie...
  • C:\movies\moviename\poster.jpg

• C:\movies\moviename\folder.jpg

Scenario 2 : If I am keeping all movies in one large folder...
  • C:\movies\moviename-poster.jpg

Can someone tell me if I am using proper placement within the folder structure and correct syntax please?

Also, can someone tell me how I should name NFO files please?

Thank you.
The 'folder.jpg' convention was depreciated some time ago, but is still supported to some extent. Use unforgiven-poster.jpg and you'll be progressive. If you export your images, you will find C:\movies\moviename-poster.jpg regardless of a community folder or individual separate folders. On the scrape if there is a file called 'posters.jpg' found with the video, it will be used. If you have a folder with No direct videos in it, and it has poster.jpg/folder.jpg within, that will be used as the cover for that folder should there be videos in a sub folder within. I know plain as mud.Artwork (wiki).

Consider using Artwork Downloader in-conjunction with individual separate folders for each video, in the long run it will be easier.
Thanks for taking the time to respond - that helped to clarify things.
Also be aware that not all NFO files are actually NFO files. Open some of yours up in notepad to check them. Most of the ones that appear with torrent downloads are junk text files

Here are the correct rules for creating them. Head for section 2 and you'll see links to take you to movies or tv show examples.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Nfo_files
Thank you for addressing topic of NFO files.

So just to confirm - can someone take a look at my folder contents and let me know if there is any redundancy I can eliminate...

I want to have one image for the poster and one image for the folder.

Which of these should I keep to accomplish that...

folder.jpg
poster.jpg
unforgiven-folder.jpg
unforgiven-poster.jpg

Thank you.
In your example, you can delete the poster.jpg and folder.jpg as you are now naming specific image files to be used.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork

The simple way to look at it....

If you want an image to go with a specific file then name it as filename-poster.jpg / filename-thumb.jpg / filename-fanart.jpg

If you want an image to be associated with anything in that folder, then just call it poster.jpg / thumb.jpg / banner.jpg / etc
Ok so for the poster, I will do "unforgiven-poster.jpg"

For the folder image, which of the following...

unforgiven-folder.jpg

or...

folder.jpg

Thank you.
(2016-05-09, 18:46)kodee Wrote: Ok so for the poster, I will do "unforgiven-poster.jpg"

For the folder image, which of the following...

unforgiven-folder.jpg

or...

folder.jpg

Thank you.
It's in the page I linked above.
Right, but some of the information on that page is in contrast to what you wrote in an earlier reply...

(2016-05-09, 18:42)BatterPudding Wrote: In your example, you can delete the poster.jpg and folder.jpg as you are now naming specific image files to be used.

From the artwork page...

"
Movies\path\moviename\folder.jpg
Music\path\album\folder.jpg
"

The artwork page says to use folder.jpg and you said to delete it!

Someone please just answer the question...

For FOLDER IMAGE, WHICH ONE DO I USE....?....

1. unforgiven-folder.jpg

...OR...

2. folder.jpg

Thank you.
As it says on that page, and in my reply up there....

If you want an image for the FOLDER, then call it folder.jpg.

If you want an image associated to the FILM then you name them after the film.

unforgiven-poster.jpg
unforgiven-fanart.jpg
unforgiven-thumb.jpg

I don't know where or how you are trying to use this artwork. This is why I was trying to get you to read the manual. A "folder image" doesn't really make sense when the only thing in the folder is a single film.

Now put your toys back in your pram
(2016-05-09, 19:19)BatterPudding Wrote: I don't know where or how you are trying to use this artwork. This is why I was trying to get you to read the manual. A "folder image" doesn't really make sense when the only thing in the folder is a single film.

Now put your toys back in your pram

I wanted an image for the folder when browsing in folder view, as I specifically asked...

(2016-05-09, 18:10)kodee Wrote: I want to have one image for the poster and one image for the folder.

If you are going to take the time to respond, then do it correctly, or you are just wasting people's time.

now unbunch your panties

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
artwork0