Issues with Openelec on a Pi 2
I replaced a series one model B Pi with this Pi 2. At the time, Openelec was the only flavor of a KODI install that was available. In many ways, it's much more responsive that the old Pi. Two major issues are file transfers via Windows SMB that are painfully slow, 1MBPS on average, and often time out. Without going into detail, I have pretty solid hardware on the other end, the Pi is connected via Ethernet, and so on. The latest version of Openelc is installed, I've gone through all of the SMB specific config stuff I can find, still the same.

I would appreciate any insight on this. I wonder if it might be a hardware issue? Or maybe it's time to try a different distro?
Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-05-07, 02:06)pixelriffic Wrote: I replaced a series one model B Pi with this Pi 2. At the time, Openelec was the only flavor of a KODI install that was available. In many ways, it's much more responsive that the old Pi. Two major issues are file transfers via Windows SMB that are painfully slow, 1MBPS on average, and often time out. Without going into detail, I have pretty solid hardware on the other end, the Pi is connected via Ethernet, and so on. The latest version of Openelc is installed, I've gone through all of the SMB specific config stuff I can find, still the same.

I would appreciate any insight on this. I wonder if it might be a hardware issue? Or maybe it's time to try a different distro?

Apart from logs, have you checked the network cable. 1MB/s = 8Mb/s and is close to the 10Mb/s maximum of 10baseT Ethernet, which is the slower speed offered by the 10/100 Mbs Ethernet connection on the Pi.
(2016-05-07, 13:29)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-07, 02:06)pixelriffic Wrote: I replaced a series one model B Pi with this Pi 2. At the time, Openelec was the only flavor of a KODI install that was available. In many ways, it's much more responsive that the old Pi. Two major issues are file transfers via Windows SMB that are painfully slow, 1MBPS on average, and often time out. Without going into detail, I have pretty solid hardware on the other end, the Pi is connected via Ethernet, and so on. The latest version of Openelc is installed, I've gone through all of the SMB specific config stuff I can find, still the same.

Apart from logs, have you checked the network cable. 1MB/s = 8Mb/s and is close to the 10Mb/s maximum of 10baseT Ethernet, which is the slower speed offered by the 10/100 Mbs Ethernet connection on the Pi.

Fair question. It's connected to a 100 MB switch, then to the router. I had a Windows machine on the same network that would do 7 or 8 MBPS on average. Also tried Wifi with the Pi, and results are about the same. Should also note that this was the peak speed transfer, and average is often half that or less.
What kind of speed are you getting if you try scp? I just transfered a file 132MB with an mean of 4.7MB/s with mode transfer spreed around 6MB/s and max of 8MB/s. I also find that larger file sizes tend to stall for a bit.
(2016-05-07, 17:09)Av3nged Wrote: What kind of speed are you getting if you try scp? I just transfered a file 132MB with an mean of 4.7MB/s with mode transfer spreed around 6MB/s and max of 8MB/s. I also find that larger file sizes tend to stall for a bit.

Tried this just now, and averaged about 700KBPS with SCP. Didn't timeout at least. If you get five times that, clearly something is no right.

Thanks for the info.
to rule out the SD card and isolate it to the network, have you tried iperf?
Copying files to measure transfer speed is ultimately going to measure how quickly (or slowly) you can write the data to your storage (SD card etc.). If you want to test only the network portion of a file transfer, make sure you copy the file to /dev/null on the Pi.

Alternatively, use iperf to measure only the performance of the network link.

If your scp transfer is averaging 700KBps that could suggest a really bad network connection, or more likely your storage medium is really, really slow. If you're writing the file to your SD card then try using a different/better SD card. Samsung EVO SD cards are recommended.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2016-05-07, 17:51)J_E_F_F Wrote: to rule out the SD card and isolate it to the network, have you tried iperf?

I have not yet. Looked to take a bit to setup, but I may give that a go. Here again though, the Windows machine this replaced could pretty much max out the LAN. Suppose it could be the interface on the Pi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues with Openelec on a Pi 20