v15 Artist slideshow fallback slideshow -> images become blurry / get compressed
Hi,

I got an issue with the fallback slideshow feature of the 'Artists Slideshow' add-on. Although I think it's not really an 'Artist Slideshow' issue.
I'm trying to use three images, generated from the cover artwork of my music, as fallback images, if there's no artist information found.

This works in general, but I made an annoying observation. The images are 2000x1200 pixels and my Kodi is running in Full-HD resolution on a RPi 2 on top of
Openelec. When the fallback images are displayed (during music playback) initially (after being generated by imagemagick) they are full resolution and
crisp. When the slideshow has cycled through the three images once, it looks like they get replaced by lower resolution versions. From that point on
the slideshow continues to use the low-res versions of the images. If I regenerate the background images, they are crisp and full-res for one cycle of the
slideshow again.

I made a video for better understanding. If you look closely you'll see that the images become blurry, starting with the first repeat of the slideshow.
blurry images video

I did some research and I think 'Artist Slideshow' just provides the images to the running Kodi skin. I'm using Arctic Zephyr. I've also tried other skins
and they have the same issue.

I found the image and multi image controls in the MusicVisualization.xml of Arctic Zephyr and played with the <aspect ratio>, <width> and <height> settings, but
was unable to make Kodi use the fallback images as is without compressing them to lower quality and lower resolution.

I'd really appreciate some pro tips? Smile

Cheers and thanks in advance, Alex aka kleo

P.S.:I didn't really know in which section to post this. Somehow at least the skin and kodi itself are involved and I observed it only with the fallback slideshow of
the 'Artist Slideshow' add-on.
Try increasing imageres and fanartres:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.x...ry_artwork

You may need to clean the texture cache for this to have an effect:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158373
Many thanks. Increasing imageres as well as fanartres and setting imagescalingalgorithm to a different value (lanczos, bicubic_spline) helped.

The images are still not as sharp and clear as they come out of imagemagick's montage tool, but I guess they are as good as it gets with the
additional (in my eyes unnecessary) resize and compress by Kodi.

But, don't get me wrong: I really appreciated your quick and on point help!
Alex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist slideshow fallback slideshow -> images become blurry / get compressed0