IR Remote - Some Buttons Not Working
Hello all,

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 and using the latest Kodi repo for 16.1 stable (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu xenial main). The hardware is a Zotac CI520 Nano which has a built-in IR receiver:

Code:
htpc@htpc-ZBOXNANO-CI520NANO-CI540NANO:~$ dmesg |grep lirc
[    2.308564] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 247
[    2.313296] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (nuvoton-cir) registered at minor = 0
[   20.588185] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (nuvoton-cir) (lircd bypass) as /devices/virtual/input/input15
[   82.920072] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (nuvoton-cir) (lircd bypass) as /devices/virtual/input/input16
[  175.635126] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (nuvoton-cir) (lircd bypass) as /devices/virtual/input/input17
[59784.500377] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (nuvoton-cir) (lircd bypass) as /devices/virtual/input/input18

Code:
grep '^N:' /proc/bus/input/devices
N: Name="Power Button"
N: Name="Power Button"
N: Name="Video Bus"
N: Name="Nuvoton w836x7hg Infrared Remote Transceiver"
N: Name="MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (nuvoton-cir)"
N: Name="HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3"
N: Name="HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=7"
N: Name="HDA Intel HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=8"

I stumbled around a lot trying to get LIRC to work and I couldn't really get the remote working properly on my own. I found this great post and I have setup LIRC using this method. The remote seems to be working as a keyboard now, which is great but not all of the buttons are working in Kodi. For example, the navigation buttons (up/down/left/right) work fine but the 'OK' button does not select anything. When I run "ir-keytable -t" I see the button being pressed (KEY_OK(0x0160)) - so how can I map this in Kodi?

I've tried to follow this thread as well as the wiki page on LIRC and I am stumped.

I tried adding the remote.xml and keyboard.xml files from github to ~/.kodi/userdata/keymaps, and I've tried making my own (test.xml). I even installed the keymap editor addon... I think I'm missing something essential here about the mapping from LIRC to Kodi/etc.

Thanks!!

Edit - so I changed KEY_OK to KEY_ENTER in the zotac_mce keymap file created previously, which seems to bypass LIRC entirely. That seems to work, although I did need to reboot. I was thinking I could just clear the keymap and re-add it, but a reboot seemed necessary.

At any rate, I still have a few buttons which do not work properly, and perhaps I am just not using LIRC properly with Kodi. I also use MythTV on this machine, so I'd like to be able to flip between the two. Bypassing LIRC seems to make the mapping easy, in that the remote seems to be treated as a keyboard which is obviously universal between applications. If anyone has advice on how to setup this remote better, I'd love to hear it. I'd like to know how to do some more advanced things like setting the remote up to send alt+tab signals and stuff like that.
Well I'm still a bit stumped. I don't really know if making the remote work as a keyboard is the best solution - I am sometimes getting MASSIVE repeat button presses. It's pretty random, and I am not holding the buttons down when I get the repeats.

I think this clunkiness may all be related to the way I have the remote configured, so if anyone has suggestions on how to 'properly' setup a remote with LIRC I would really appreciate it!!
I had a remote giving multiple repeats out of the blue, but it was 6 or 7 months old. Do you have a different remote you can test with?
Have a read of this thread. It explains the relationship between all the files and how to map any Kodi function to a remote button. It's an old thread but the principles are still exactly the same.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR Remote - Some Buttons Not Working0