Linux Help me buy a Media-SERVER+client for Kodi
I apologize if it shouldn't post it here, but I didn't find any way to answer my question.

I'm searching for a box that will allow me to run a mediaserver and kodi on it.

It should have the following features:

- silent
- low energy consummation
- small
- 64-Bit x86 compatible
- should run 24/7/365 without hardware failure
- space for a 2.5" SDD (around 100 GB for the OS only)
- space for one or two 3.5" HDD (I'm targeting for 8 TB. So either 2 x 4 TB (cheaper) or 1 x 8 TB (expensive but needs only space for one HDD)
- HDMI output
- 2 x 1 GB Network (for two separate networks)
- two DVB-T turners for seeing of two different canals on two different clients
- should be able to decode h.265 videos over the graphic card (optional)

I'm searching for a while already. One thing that may come close was that one (but it only has one GB Network)
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/htpc-nas-combo-build-2016/
(2016-05-09, 11:14)Archiko Wrote: - 2 x 1 GB Network (for two separate networks)
This one feature will be hard to get. Most consumer motherboards has only one net port. There were from what I remember some that had it but they wasn't small - normal ATX. I think you should build your own machine with one of these two options:
1. Buy whatever you like but with ability to put additional LAN card to get two ports.
2. Look for some server-grade solutions. For example this is what I have in my server I'm working on. But there are more of one like that. They tend to have also more SATAIII ports. But they are more expensive.
Yes, I notice that this two LAN connectors (like the DVB-turner) are making things even more complicate.

Therefore I accept that I either need more space to fit some cards in there or I have to go the ugly way over usb.

I'm fine with everything, as long as I have at least one usb port free for the remote/keyboard.
(2016-05-09, 11:14)Archiko Wrote: - silent
- low energy consummation

~

- should be able to decode h.265 videos over the graphic card (optional)

As far as I'm aware, the only discrete graphics cards currently available that can hardware decode H.265/HEVC are the Nvidia GTX 950/960/980s -- which obviously don't satisfy the low power/noise requirements. Presumably any new Nvidia card going forward will now, but I'd expect it will be a while before there's a low power or passively cooled option.

If anyone knows better, and there is a low wattage/low profile discrete card that can do hevc, I'd love one for my old microserver (Intel or AMD working on any?). Only other hardware I know of that plays that role at the moment are the android/openelec SOCs like Amlogic S905.

Edit: Found a recent (incomplete) list of HEVC supporting hardware here: http://www.techspot.com/article/1131-hev...-playback/
Basically high-end gaming GPUs and a bunch of newer SOCs. An Intel Skylake processor could be worth considering?:

Quote:
  • Intel 6th-generation ‘Skylake’ Core processors or newer
  • AMD 6th-generation ‘Carizzo’ APUs or newer
  • AMD ‘Fiji’ GPUs (Radeon R9 Fury/Fury X/Nano) or newer
  • Nvidia GM206 GPUs (GeForce GTX 960/950) or newer
  • Other Nvidia GeForce GTX 900 series GPUs have partial HEVC hardware decoding support
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 805/615/410/208 SoCs or newer. Support ranges from 720p decoding on low-end parts to 4K playback on high-end parts.
  • Nvidia Tegra X1 SoCs or newer
  • Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5430 SoCs or newer
  • Apple A8 SoCs or newer
  • Some MediaTek SoCs from mid-2014 onwards
I personally think this is the wrong approach. While it was common some years ago to have a combined server and client, hardware has got cheaper and better. You can now pay $35 for a rpi that does hardware 1080p h264 and is fairly good at hevc too. A while ago you needed a decent discrete nvidia card and it made sense to have one box full of expensive parts. Also people are now more networked, and wifi can even produce acceptable results.

Conclusion, build a server without regard for video playback, noise etc. Put it in a basement/cupboard/garage. Get a soc based playback device for playback. Its cheap, you can bin it in 2-3 years when standards and hardware changes.

Your server will last you 2-3 times as long.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
+1, if possible, separate the device into NAS + Clients. Full blown HTPCs are so 2000s, unless you have very specific needs, but usually those are gamers.
if you select the correct NAS, it can be years before you need to upgrade. With clients, upgrade as needed and separately.
Read the "Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2016)" sticky thread, those are the type of popular devices these days for Media player.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
(2016-05-10, 19:39)shabuboy Wrote: +1, if possible, separate the device into NAS + Clients. Full blown HTPCs are so 2000s, unless you have very specific needs, but usually those are gamers.

Yeah, I was thinking about splitting it. Because getting a kodi frontend is so easy. (I have one in the other room. Less than 100 bucks and works like a charm.)

The problem is that I want to do more than file server on my server and I don't have much room. There isn't even room for two machines. But for my needs I would need three machines. (One NAT, one server and one frontend).

Therefore I'm trying to go the more expensive way and have all this machines in one.
You don't need a nas and a server. Your server will house your hard drives and serve them just fine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Agree, only a server is needed, no NAS. I do unbelievable things with an Atom330 (!!!) board as a small home server, and I can tell you it is doing the job perfectly.
I will replace it now with a Braswell SoC itx board as I will need more SATA ports and Braswell is very energy efficient, yet still quite powerful. I did build couple of small home servers based on Braswell, and they perform amazing.

So you are down to one box, the server: the type and size of the case depends on your needs for number (any type) of hard drives.

The Rpi2/3 as a frontend is so small, that it doesn't count. Yo can even VESA mount it if you like (look for vesa case on eBay).
Are there any other suggestion without forcing me to buy two machines?

(As already mention, I don't have enough space for two machines.)
Space seems like an odd issue to avoid two machines in this scenario. If your sever is separated from media playback capability, then it can be stashed anywhere in your house you can run power/network to -- no need to take up realestate in a TV cabinet. Even in a tiny dorm room, you could just stash it under a bed or something.

The Nvidia Shield Android TV is one of the larger android media players and is slightly bigger than a DVD case.
Well, actually you can have an all-in-one solution, but there are some obvious downsides too. You can build a nice server and player based on Intel Braswell (N3150) SoC, then you got excellent small home server, 4 SATA ports, up to 16GB RAM, x1 space for additional SATA card, and one of the best media experience quality wise with Intel EGL VAAPI build. You can have a low power rig with this build, but consider the noise the 3.5" hard drives will produce! Even if you go with 2.5", paying quite a lot for over 2TB/drive, still can become loud with more drives. In this case you should go with an SSD for system drive (and run Kodi from there). You loose on CEC (not such a big deal, and you can get a Pulse-8), and no BD3D support (if that matters at all).

Again, I would definitely recommend going with a separate server (still N3150), anywhere where you can supply power and a LAN cable, and my choice would be RPi3 for a player. It is so small, you can stick it to the back of the TV if you want.
Seriously suggest not going for the all-in-one solution. The space taken up by an S905-based ARM SoC Media Player (ODroid C2 or imminent Wetek Hub) is tiny. Less than a single 3.5" internal hard drive. You can surely have space for that?

My first HTPC was an all-in-one - I soon realised that wasn't the route to go.

Also - why the two LAN ports? You say two separate networks - probably useful to know a bit more about this requirement. I have VPN-boxes with dual LANs (though with VLANs and a suitable switch you don't really need dual LANs for this purpose any more) but have never needed them on a server or client (though in professional circles I've used dual GigE on high-end servers, I've not needed that at home...)
(2016-05-12, 12:35)noggin Wrote: Also - why the two LAN ports? You say two separate networks - probably useful to know a bit more about this requirement. I have VPN-boxes with dual LANs (though with VLANs and a suitable switch you don't really need dual LANs for this purpose any more) but have never needed them on a server or client (though in professional circles I've used dual GigE on high-end servers, I've not needed that at home...)

My old server is routing and prioritizing my internet connection from the DSL modem to the rest of my network. That is for security. I don't like my machines to go outside without me controlling it.
I would get a router suitable small pc, like something from this range https://nicegear.co.nz/pc-engines/single...computers/ for routing, repurpose your server to be only a server not a router, and invest in rpi3 or odroid c2 as clients.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me buy a Media-SERVER+client for Kodi0