Theme change on-the-fly (variables based on date and time of the day, weather, etc.)?
I definitley support this idea. At first I was a little meh.. but then I started looking at all the different themes there are for skins and how well they would capture the mood of a certain time of day. xTV and Vision's many themes are perfect for this sort of feature.
Let us also not forget the ability to create analog clocks, if I had access to an hour, minute, second variable I could layer simple graphics to create an analog clock effect. How hard JM would it be to open up alot of the variables xbmc uses, I'd like to be able to create some dynamic skins, and this would be the way.
sounds right fascinating Big Grin
would probably better having a added rotation effect with angle as Hours Mins or Seconds instead of angle
Again, I think having it change theme color based on date (ie. season of the year), time or day, and even the weather would be a very cool skinning feature.

Like the PSP and PlayStation 3 XMB (XrossMediaBar): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XrossMediaBar
The XMB has this skin feature with color variables based on month, then a different color at noon for each month, and then a different shade of that color for each hour of the day.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
time, sure will add the necessary conditions.

weather, no. way too complicated and quite frankly i dont see the need
Thumbs Up 
spiff Wrote:time, sure will add the necessary conditions
time and date?, thank you

spiff Wrote:weather, no. way too complicated and quite frankly i dont see the need
That is allright, I guess a skinner would have specify exacly how to grab that variable before it could be implemented. I was thinking simple though, since all skins (that I know of) use the same image-files for the weather (taken from \XBMC\media\weather.rar which contains 48 PNG images numbered between 0 to 47), maybe the variable would be which exact weather image is loaded at the time (you know like how the currecnt weather condition is shown in the PM3 homescreen when weather is high-lighted), and the variable is just the number of that PNG image-file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
For arguments sake:

spiff Wrote:weather, no. way too complicated and quite frankly i dont see the need

Other people do though, or they wouldn't have asked / discussed it.
sure. i didnt say i would deny other ppl implementing it, would i?

we are not your slaves that are bound to follow your bidding. ffs.
spiff... I need XBMC to be able to make coffee while going with my wife to her pregnancy courses and generate a daily copy of the Internet. I have a need for it, so please make sure it gets done.
spiff Wrote:sure. i didnt say i would deny other ppl implementing it, would i?

we are not your slaves that are bound to follow your bidding. ffs.

I didn't say that.

Although it does look like I hit a nerve :p

"I'll do A and B; C doesn't interest me but anyone else is welcome to do it, since there's obviously some demand for it."

Would have been a bit more of a polite way to say what you apparently meant, instead of ignoring the fact that other people do see the need.

Your language suggests that you think your opinion is the only one that matters, i.e. since you don't see the need then everyone who does is wrong.

That is what I was saying.
whatever, if ppl want to read the worst into what i type, go rite ahead.

and, without being full of myself, my opinion does matter more than most. see the svn changelog if you dont get why. and of course, to me its the only opinion that matters.
They can add whatever they want, when they want, and no one can or should complain about it. They work for free, in their spare time, (or their work's time in some cases Smile ). If you don't like something, or would like something, ask, but don't ever think they have to do anything, and if they do, thank them accordingly.

BTW:
spiff is after all, a self described "Grumpy Bastard Developer" get used it to. Smile
spiff Wrote:whatever, if ppl want to read the worst into what i type, go rite ahead.

and, without being full of myself, my opinion does matter more than most. see the svn changelog if you dont get why. and of course, to me its the only opinion that matters.

Your decisions matter more, yes. Your opinions though, that's arguable.

Still, civility costs nothing, and you shouldn't be surprised when people read the worst into things if you write if you write them like that.

MacGyver Wrote:They can add whatever they want, when they want, and no one can or should complain about it. They work for free, in their spare time, (or their work's time in some cases ). If you don't like something, or would like something, ask, but don't ever think they have to do anything, and if they do, thank them accordingly.

Where did I (did I ever) say or suggest anything like that? And why do people keep suggesting that I have?

MacGyver Wrote:BTW:
spiff is after all, a self described "Grumpy Bastard Developer" get used it to.

Grumpy and impolite/condescending are two different things.
ultimately my opinion matters more cause it is the opinion i act on. sure, i listen to what others say, why wouldnt i. but in the end, its what i personally think that matters.
if you want spin words, sure, its my decisions. but those decisions are based on my opinions, no?

i was only giving a response to gamester which has requested the features at more than one occasion. requests are put so us devs will give our opinion on them, no? if we like them we implement them, if not we do not. i fail to see what's impolite about being frank. i told him in a straight and easy manner what i think, and what i will do and not. i guess i'm just used to ppl being more direct than you are.

would you prefer me writing just a simple 'no' with no explanation? i can do that.

no

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Theme change on-the-fly (variables based on date and time of the day, weather, etc.)?0