Is it feasible to tag images without messing with the source code?
Lightbulb 
Hello!

This is a very general question that I didn't find a proper sub forum for so I ended up posting it here.

I have 3 Photoshoots of Angelina Jolie structured in the following way:

Quote:--Images
----Angelina Jolie
------PhotoShoot 01
--------Image01.jpg
--------Image02.jpg
------PhotoShoot 02
--------Image01.jpg
--------Image02.jpg
------PhotoShoot 03
--------Image01.jpg
--------Image02.jpg

The functionality I want is when I go to Actors in Kodi and choose Angelina Jolie it will show 'Photoshoot 01, Photoshoot 02 ...' along with the episodes and movies she is in. Basically, I want to tag a folder of images with an actor's name.
My question, Is it feasible to do something like this with an Addon only, without messing around with Kodi's source code? Or is it feasible at all?

Thank you for your answers.
You should be able to specify thumb local path in an .nfo, but AFAIK these are not multi-image.
(2016-05-14, 00:42)k4sh1n Wrote: You should be able to specify thumb local path in an .nfo, but AFAIK these are not multi-image.

Yes, I know, but this is not what I meant.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. These are not actor's thumbs. These are stand alone picture galleries. Folders under 'Pictures' in Kodi.

Right now all you can do with pictures in Kodi is to add a picture folder and view it.Kodi doesn't "Know" who's pictures it is. I want to be able to associate a specific picture folder (Or a specific picture) with a specific actor, just like it is with TV shows and Movies.
Quote:Is it feasible to do something like this with an Addon only,
Of course, as long as you're willing to put on your coding hat and write it yourself, there is no limits to what could be done. You could have folders under each name, (perhaps have a look at Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki)) and using recursive slideshow, show the contents etc, nicely handled under the SF add-on, linked to a hot key or home page if needed. But reading your message, that isn't enough or exactly what you want, and without coding I'm not sure you'll fin it.

Suggestion: compromise a bit, put all the images for one artist inside a folder called 'extrafanart' and place that folder inside one/or more of the movies that you associate with that artist. Using a skin that utilizes the Extra fanart (wiki) will create a mini slideshow of that art (you will need to make an exception/exclusion in your advanced settings file for this) and if you use SF you can see the entire image. The nice part of all of this, some skins support the author/artist with a click and you would not only be presented with the movies the artist appears in, but your slideshow would auto activate. It's not exactly as you wished, but it's here; now; and a lot of people enjoy this feature. The whole process could be simplified somewhat if you utilize the add-on Add-on:Artwork Downloader (wiki)

If you want something else, then there are other work-rounds too numerous to delineate but there is always hope you might garner the interest of a developer, who would chomp right in and create what you want, just leave your wishes in the 'Feature Suggestion' forum.
(2016-05-14, 15:23)PatK Wrote:
Quote:Is it feasible to do something like this with an Addon only,
Of course, as long as you're willing to put on your coding hat and write it yourself, there is no limits to what could be done. You could have folders under each name, (perhaps have a look at Add-on:Super Favourites (wiki)) and using recursive slideshow, show the contents etc, nicely handled under the SF add-on, linked to a hot key or home page if needed. But reading your message, that isn't enough or exactly what you want, and without coding I'm not sure you'll fin it.

Suggestion: compromise a bit, put all the images for one artist inside a folder called 'extrafanart' and place that folder inside one/or more of the movies that you associate with that artist. Using a skin that utilizes the Extra fanart (wiki) will create a mini slideshow of that art (you will need to make an exception/exclusion in your advanced settings file for this) and if you use SF you can see the entire image. The nice part of all of this, some skins support the author/artist with a click and you would not only be presented with the movies the artist appears in, but your slideshow would auto activate. It's not exactly as you wished, but it's here; now; and a lot of people enjoy this feature. The whole process could be simplified somewhat if you utilize the add-on Add-on:Artwork Downloader (wiki)

If you want something else, then there are other work-rounds too numerous to delineate but there is always hope you might garner the interest of a developer, who would chomp right in and create what you want, just leave your wishes in the 'Feature Suggestion' forum.

Thank you for taking the time and writing this detailed response!

I don't shy away from coding. In fact, that is what I wanted to do. What I wanted to ascertain is whether or not this is possible with writing an Addon only without messing around with Kodi's core source code.

I never wrote Kodi add-ons before and not quite sure what the limitations are.

Right now it seems that Kodi doesn't add images or image folders to its database (Those under Pictures). To give images metadata like tagging them with an actor name they need to be in the database. It seems to me this like this is part of the core Kodi functionality and not so easily addressed with an add-on.
Looking at the 'pictures function', it's been left on the back burner for quite a while, but looking at how 'extrafanart' is utilized, might give you a few ideas as to integration of a external pictures folder. Good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it feasible to tag images without messing with the source code?1