Downsides to Fire TV 2
I've been doing as much reading on here as I can but I'm not sure if I'm understanding the downsides of using a Fire Tv2. Right now I'm using a fairly powerful htpc in my bedroom setup but I'm wanting to do way down on the form factor to mount something behind the tv and reduce fan noise. 4k is not important for the near future, my main points are smooth playback from an unraid server, smooth handing of heavy skins, and IR support for harmony(which I'm somewhat concerned about using a flirc adapter with the box mounted behind the tv) Any guidance you guys can give would be great!
I have used a flirc that was mounted behind a TV and it worked normally.

Even though Kodi works on the Fire TV, it is not a priority for the developers as Amazon rejected Kodi in the Amazon store, while still allowing similar apps such as Plex. I have stopped following Fire TV, but I think it still is affected by the frame rate issue that affects most of the android players.

If you don't use the paid streaming apps, why not look at something like a Pi 3?
Regarding smooth video playback....

The FireTV's are unable to output fractional refresh rates of 23.976/29.97 and 59.94Hz. Consequently you are limited to 24,50 and 60Hz video output.

Playing 23.976fps movies, video can be output at 24Hz and will result in a video frame glitch approx. every 41 seconds. The alternative is 23.976fps video output at 60Hz, which then undergoes a 3:2 pulldown process. The result of 3:2 pulldown is minor video judder when the camera pans slowly about left <<<-->> right in a scene. I personally hate this, others don't even see it.

A third alternative is activating your TV's motion smoothing processing to lessen the 3:2 pulldown judder. Using too much however can lead to an artificial look I like to call "Hobbit Vision" aka the Soap Opera effect !

The best devices output these fractional refresh rates properly, and then users TV's can automatically switch to a 24p Movie or Cinema mode for nice smooth video playback. Smile

The inability to read USB drives unless fat32 is a big downside
Get a Pi3 and you have the option of both FLIRC and HDMI cec for your remote. As long as you're connected via Ethernet it should work well for your needs. If you want a device that works with streaming services like the Fire TV, that also works well for Kodi, get an Nvidia Shield.

Sent from my XT1575
It all depends on the requirements. As some devices will not play nicely with Netflix and/or Amazon Prime on 1080p.
Read this sticky thread about the "plug N play" devices".
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

I have the Amazon Fire box and more than good enough for my requirements for online streaming as well as streaming from my NAS.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
It will not do HD-audio. The main advantage of Fire Tv is the integration with Netflix and Prime and nice form factor with remote.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Downsides to Fire TV 20