Can't upgrade from OE to Libreelec on RPi
Hi all,
I'm trying to upgrade to Libreelec 7 from Openelec 6.0.3 on my RPi.
I downloaded the .tar upgrade file and put it into update folder, but when I reboot I get the "check size failed" error.
What should I do? I don't whant to do a clean install cause I don't want to loose all my settings...
Thanks for your support.
I had this on one of my RPI model Bs. It turned out to be a failing SD card.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I want to resize partitions on my 16 Gb SD card. I want to shrink the storage partition and enlarge the flash one, but I don't know how to do it.
I have ubuntu installed on my PC, but I'm not a linux expert user.
Could that work?
You can use "sudo gparted" in Ubuntu which gives you a very nice GUI to resize the partition on your SD card, this is probably the easiest solution and should only take a few minutes. Do make sure you take a backup before hand. You'll want to resize the FAT partition to 512MB. Make sure you only resize the partitions on your SD card, you could potentially wreck your entire Ubuntu system if you're not careful.

Alternatively use the built-in OE backup tool to create a backup of your installation, copy off the backup data to somewhere secure, write the LibreELEC disk image to the SD card (giving you a clean install) then finally restore your OE backup data.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I took the SD from raspberry and put it into USB port of my PC with Ubuntu.
Then I launched gparted and I unmounted the ext4 partition (storage).
Now I have to move forward the start point of that partition?
After I have to unmount the fat partition and to extend it?
Right?
At the end how can I mount the partitions again?
Thank you
You need to unmount both partitions. Then you need to shrink the ext4 partition by moving it forward, yes. Then increase the size of the FAT partition into the space made available by the ext4 partition.

Once you've resized the partitions the easiest way to remount both partitions is to remove the SD card from the Ubuntu PC, then re-insert it in your Ubuntu PC.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I shrinked the ext4 partition so that I could expand the fat partition up to 512 MB but when I try to expand the fat partition I get this error:
ERROR: File system doesn't have expected sizes for windows to like it - cluster 63865 (expected 63866) - FAT dimension 252 sectors (expected 250).
What does it mean? Must I remove flags (boot, lba) from fat16 partition?
Thanks
No, those flags are fine. I don't know what's up with your existing FAT partition.

My suggestion at this point would be to copy the contents of the FAT partition somewhere, use gparted to delete the existing FAT partition then recreate it (using all available space, ie. 512MB or thereabouts) and finally format as FAT16. Finally, copy back the files you copied from the original FAT partition. You should now be all set to complete the LE upgrade (or even OE upgrade, as latest OE has this same 512MB partition requirement as LE).
Thanks, but I'm formatting my SD to do a clean install (I did a backup from OE first).
How could I prepare SD card? Only one partition? FAT16 or FAT32?
Thanks
(2016-05-14, 23:13)zoltan Wrote: Thanks, but I'm formatting my SD to do a clean install (I did a backup from OE first).
How could I prepare SD card? Only one partition? FAT16 or FAT32?
Thanks

No need to do any of that.

Download the LE disk image (.img.gz) and (in Windows) uncompress it using 7zip then use Win32DiskImager to write the .img file to the SD card - it will create both partitions automatically.

Or use Rufus as this can write the .img.gz file to your SD card (it will uncompress it automatically).
Thank you very much Milhouse!
I used Rufus to create a new SD and then restored the OE bacckup.
It worked well!
Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't upgrade from OE to Libreelec on RPi0