"Envy" a python script that automaticly sorts out the graphic drivers under Linux
Thumbs Up 
http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
Quote:"Envy" is an application for Ubuntu Linux and Debian written in Python and PyGTK which will:
1) detect the model of your graphic card (ATI and Nvidia cards are supported). However "Manual installation" is also available
2) download the right version of the proprietary driver for your ATI or Nvidia card from ATI or Nvidia's websites
3) handle the dependencies (compilers, OpenGL, etc.) (according to your OS version and kernel) required to build the module
4) install/uninstall the driver
5) set up your xorg.conf (i.e. the configuration file of the Xserver) for you (according to your system specifications)
6) restart the Xserver for you (if you wish so) (this feature is available only in the textual interface)

Licence: GPL

So feel free to change it however you like (as long as you include the full source code as leave credits where credits is due)

Big Grin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
it works very well, too. i use it on Ubuntu whenever I upgrade or reinstall and it has yet to fail me.
Anybody interested in including this in the latest Linux build?
Because this would be very handy, for Ubuntu and Linux noobs.
Lightbulb 
Question: Could this "Envy" python script to be made/rewritten to run under XBMC Linux port built-in python-engine?
...if so how about modifying it so that will will run like a installation-wizard automaticly the first time XBMC is loaded?

Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Question: Could this "Envy" python script to be made/rewritten to run under XBMC Linux port built-in python-engine?
...if so how about modifying it so that will will run like a installation-wizard automaticly the first time XBMC is loaded?

Huh
Hi, I'm the author of Envy and I would like to know more about your idea (if you're still interested).

Feel free to contact me via email.

Alberto
Gamester17 Wrote:Question: Could this "Envy" python script to be made/rewritten to run under XBMC Linux port built-in python-engine?

Huh

If XBMC Linux is using an unmod'd version of Python (or at least a compatible version) why would it need to be "ported"? I'd hope a huge benefit to the point to moving XBMC to Linux is seamless compatibility with Linux apps, drivers, etc?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Gamester17 Wrote:...if so how about modifying it so that will will run like a installation-wizard automaticly the first time XBMC is loaded?
Isn't it a chicken-and-egg situation? As of today for XBMC to run you need to have a working OpenGL accellerated display, so envy would be of no major use (expect optimisation) once XBMC is already running.

Luigi

PS Maybe in Alberto's plans there is a new release of envy not needing any GUI dependencies; if that is the case I will include it immediately on LiveXBMC, running at first start, and finally have a one-fits-all live USB disk.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Envy" a python script that automaticly sorts out the graphic drivers under Linux1