Fire TV Stick - SMB Share.
Hi all,

A constant issue I'm having with regards to a SMB shares on my Windows 10 PC with my Fire Stick.

Basically I'm sharing a folder, "Video" on my Windows 10 PC. However I'm finding the share very temperamental, sometimes when I go to SMB shares on the Fire Stick the share shows the Workgroup and I have no problem navigating the first couple of folders, then all of a sudden stuff will not show or it will return errors, "Share not available" or "Invalid Argument" generally. This happens very often.

Now things I've tried following searches of the net are increasing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters - IRPStackSize value.

Entering the address manually using both PC name and IP Address
Using username and password to authorise connection.

Another point to note is that I've also got the same kodi version installed on my MAC which connects to the same shares without any problems at all, so this leads me to believe its a Fire Stick problem rather than a Windows Server issue.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, finding this very frustrating.

Thanks
Just to update this........

All my devices are now having the problems with the SMB shares, whether that be those shared on the MAC or PC.

All seem very temperamental, some folders are shared on the MAC and some on the PC, at times none show and other times they do, but the error messages are appearing across all devices (as detailed above)

Where as before I thought it was Fire TV Stick specific, it now appears more a whole networking issue with Kodi. Could this be a router issue ? - The shares work perfectly from Desktop (not kodi) but are temperamental within Kodi ?
I found that the beta versions worked perfectly but the final release broke SMB browsing.
The same thing happened on the previous release (beta worked, final failed)

That tells me the developers are creating final releases from a different set of parameters and breaking the released final build.

To make my boxes stable again, I go into [Video], [Files], [Add videos], [Add network location...]

I only fill in the server name and shared folder. Leave all others as-is

The location will now show up in the list, select the folder and scan.
It is now stable and fast.
I seem to recall a thread that Win10 utilizes a newer version of Samba that causes all the fuss.

If after you tried post # 3 above with no help, take a look at this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547

Or you can run SPMC : http://spmc.semperpax.com/ Note the release 16.1.0 force SMB v1
I had a very similar issue on my Fire TV Box, Gen 1 and Gen 2. Last week I installed the latest build of SPMC and I have had "ZERO" issues, so maybe give that a go. My smb shares are running off my iMAC via the SMBup program.
OK Thank you all for your help. I'm actually interested in cd2022's response.

With regards to the link above, would you suggest disabling SMB v3 ? and trying that ?

Would this also effect my MAC shares, given there shared from the MAC but part of my SMB network ? - Sorry that's a basic question but I'm pretty new to networking.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

TBH I don't really want to jump into SPMC just yet, as I have a set-up that other than this issue works for me and has took me a little time to get configured how I'd like. However as a last option I may have to.
OSX 10.11.5+ ? See http://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=642 for a workaround.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
MrMC thanks for your post.

I'm currently on 10.11.4 - However I have the issue on the shares with my Windows PC too. Are these two separate issues, resulting in the same problems ?
Most likely the new flavor of smb protocol (smbX) related, new OSX used it as does Win10.

MrMC app includes libdsm specifically to address OSX/Win10 smbX issues.

You could also try forcing SMB v1 in Kodi. Not sure if that is still buried in advanced_settings.xml or it was exposed in the gui.
Mr MC - I'd be interested to know where / how I force that within the advanced settings file, I've just had a quick search on Google and can't seem to find it ? - I've a feeling that "may" sort my issue. Is OX 10.11.4 using SMB v3 ? - Would add to my confidence if it is.

Also, is that MrMC app for the iphone what it appears on the outside, can I install any addon's via that on my iphone ?
My bad, forcing v1 is not supported in Kodi advancedsettings.xml, SPMC or MrMC only.

MrMC app does not support any user addons, python is gone.
After spending many hours to get access I found my solution.
I played with the user name and voilá, try the following:
Instead of using the Windows Live ID (E-Mail-Address) or my full name of the microsoft account I add my Windows login name. Means instead of "bill.smith@live".com or "Bill Smith" I enter "Bill". It works for me and now I have full access to all SMB shares.
I hope that it can work for you, too.
(2017-03-31, 19:50)TimBeam Wrote: After spending many hours to get access I found my solution.
Instead of using the Windows Live ID (E-Mail-Address) or my full name of the microsoft account I add my Windows login name. Means instead of "bill.smith@live".com or "Bill Smith" I enter "Bill". It works for me and now I have full access to all SMB shares.

Thanks. I'm having a similar issue. Will try this when I get home tonight.
(2017-05-10, 07:02)baldrick2dogs Wrote:
(2017-03-31, 19:50)TimBeam Wrote: After spending many hours to get access I found my solution.

Thanks. I'm having a similar issue. Will try this when I get home tonight.

Use the name of your User folder. In my case, it's the first five characters of my email address. Obviously it would be different if you have a shorter email address (e.g. "bill"), though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fire TV Stick - SMB Share.1