• 41(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-11-25, 10:05)melhemk Wrote: H264 and some H265, all 1080p. AAC or DTS audio but no need for audio passthrough.
My requirements are not top-notch, as I am only looking for a small sized player as I spend all my time travelling and in hotels, TV's are usually 32" and there are no AVR's.
My question regarding performance is about all the discussions about removing AML hacks, does that mean the devices are "not usable" or usable but not by purists?
Any AAC or DTS audio will be decoded and output as 2.0 Channel PCM or 5.1 AC3 if you select Kodi's AC3 Audio transcode option. Which is fine for TV's.

If you are connecting a Hard Drive or USB flash stick directly to the Mi Box you will be fine because the only real limitation that may concern you - 10bit 720/1080p HEVC decoding and playback can be worked around easily. (Hopefully fixed in a future Firmware update)

Simple instructions for that are HERE

there is only UK store in europe https://www.thesolutionshop.co.uk/product/mi-box/.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2016-11-25, 16:42)looun Wrote: there is only UK store in europe https://www.thesolutionshop.co.uk/product/mi-box/.

Thanks so much Smile
Is there a advantage 1 way or the other with the Mi box compared to the Wetek Hub
ADT-1 Developer Kit / Nvidia's Shield TV / Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' / Beelink GT1 / Amazon Fire TV 2 / Wetek Core / ODROID-C2 / Raspberry Pi 2 / Nexbox A5
(2016-11-26, 01:57)sandogo1 Wrote: Is there a advantage 1 way or the other with the Mi box compared to the Wetek Hub

Mibox can do HD Netflix + Surround Sound

Wetek Hub can only do HD Netflix in stereo sound.

Winner is Mibox by a mile.
Hub has 1GB RAM, miBox has 2, hub has a IR remote mibox has a Bluetooth remote control, Hub has a uSD slot mibox has not, Hub has a custom Android TV ROM mibox has an official Android TV ROM
(2016-11-26, 01:57)sandogo1 Wrote: Is there a advantage 1 way or the other with the Mi box compared to the WeTek Hub
Android TV OS Apps, Winner = Mi Box running Android Marshmallow. Bigger Icons, larger text. User friendly.
You need a Marshmallow OS for 4K Netflix. The AMLogic S905X Mi Box SoC is needed for VP9 decoding of 4K YouTube as well.
If you need HDR, only the S905X has support for that.
The Mi Box does have proper Chromecasting abilities due to Android TV OS licensing.

Google Voice Search, Winner = Mi Box due to having an actual Voice Search remote. Voice searching a Kodi media library with SPMC (Kodi) runnning on Android TV is pretty cool !

Remote control of those Apps on a TV Screen, Winner hands down = Mi Box with its superb Bluetooth Voice Remote for use with Android TV Apps, ones properly designed for use on a TV screen.

You have to use the Infra Red extender cable packaged with the Hub otherwise the Hub's inbuilt IR receiver sensitivity sucks and its IR range is poor. The Hub's remote needs to be pointed directly at the box if using only the inbuilt IR receiver too.
WeTek expect you to buy an extra Wireless Air Mouse Remote to be able to use regular Android touchscreen Android Apps properly. A lot of mainstream users find this painful to use day to day. MINIX's Wireless A2 Lite Air Mouse Keyboard remote works well on the Hub.

However you can install an Android TV OS ROM on the Hub to use remote friendly Android TV Apps, some of them are not as reliable compared to running those same Apps on the Mi Box. Kodi on either box does not need use of an Air Mouse.

As a Kodi media player, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to stuff like Kodi dynamic refresh switching, 24p, HD deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing. Some of these Issues can be worked around on the Mi Box, see here.

Versatility and some DIY Hacking, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to dual boot Android/LibreELEC. Access to the full Google Play Apps Store. Built in FTP server and Telnet. Comes with a Serial cable.

Alternate ROM's, Winner = WeTek Hub. You can dual boot to LibreELEC Kodi, using a microSDHC card. A custom unofficial Android TV OS ROM is also available.

Speed of the device, Winner = Mi Box, but only when using Android due to 2GB RAM (vs 1GB on the Hub) when running the Android TV OS. Less low level OS memory management of Minimised Apps needs to be done on the Mi Box. Android Marshmallow on the Mi Box is noticeably snappier than the previous Lollipop OS on AMLogic devices. The Mi Box's Bluetooth Voice remote is excellent and super responsive when used day to day.

The Hub counters with speed when using LibreELEC Kodi. Its the fastest OS of the lot on AMLogic devices.

External Hard drive use, = a Draw, surprisingly my old power hungry 2.5" 500GB USB2 Hard drive runs reliably plugged directly into either Box. For more than one USB connected device an externally powered USB Hub is needed for reliability. More Power efficient modern USB3 HDD's are better again.

Connectivity, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to having AC WiFi, GigaE, Serial, Multiple International power socket adaptors and an IR extender cable as well as a microSDHC slot. The Mi Box cannot be easily Rooted either to connect a PS3 BT controller.

However the Mi Box counters with a 3.5mm Headphone/Optical out port.

Internal Storage expandability, Winner = Mi Box due to Android Marshmallow's Adoptable storage features.
EDIT: It appears Adoptable Storage support is spotty on the Mi Box does not work for all for users.

Firmware and stability, With the Mi Box's 12th Jan Firmware update - its a draw. Android Marshmallow on the Mi Box does have some extra features not found with Android Lollipop. (4K Netflix & DD+ Audio, Adoptable External Storage)

As you can see it depends on where your priorities lie.

Do you want to easily use proper Android TV Apps with some Kodi limitations, that may annoy serious Kodi users. Or do you want a more reliable Kodi box with Android Apps (and control of those Apps) usability limitations ?

EDIT: WeTek Hub - Android Marshmallow Firmware testing is underway, and producing decent results, see here for details.
9th Jan. Mi Box Firmware update has fixed 10bit HEVC playback problems when using SPMC/Kodi and HD Audio passthrough when using Kodi Krypton RC3.

Ok o started "playing" with my new toy mibox! First I updated all apps and installed SPMC from play store. First question witch skin is more useful? On pc I used retouched but it seems not to be downloadable here... Maybe does it actually needs a touch screen?
My personal favourite is jurialmunkey's Jarvis Skin - Eminence 2.0

https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.emi...Jarvis.zip

Go to Kodi Settings > Addons and Install from .zip
Be patient while support files are downloaded as well.

Hi guys, any Italian user knows if "Infinity TV" app works, or says the box is rooted?
(2016-11-26, 09:05)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
As a Kodi media player, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to stuff like 10bit 720/1080p HEVC, refresh switching, 24p, HD deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing, PCM, DTS and HD Audio all working properly in Kodi. Some of these Issues can be worked around on the Mi Box, see here.
Connectivity, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to having AC WiFi, GigaE, Serial, Multiple International power socket adaptors and an IR extender cable as well as a microSDHC slot.

Is HD deinterlacing not working properly on the Mi Box in generell or just in Kodi? If the Live TV Channels App together with a tvheadend server backend is deinterlacing well, then that would be good enough for me.

Is a USB-Ethernet Adapter good enough to stream full Blu-ray rips from a NAS?

Does the Mi Box support CEC for example to turn on the TV, when I power on the Mi Box and to turn it off, when I put the Mi Box to suspend. Can the Mi Box change TV's volume trough the Volume keys on the Mi Remote utilising CEC?

Would be great if you could help out clarifying those questions Smile

Thanks
Regards
Vlaves
(2016-11-26, 16:12)Vlaves Wrote:
As a Kodi media player, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to stuff like 10bit 720/1080p HEVC, refresh switching, 24p, HD deinterlacing for OTA TV viewing, PCM, DTS and HD Audio all working properly in Kodi. Some of these Issues can be worked around on the Mi Box, see here.
Connectivity, Winner = WeTek Hub, due to having AC WiFi, GigaE, Serial, Multiple International power socket adaptors and an IR extender cable as well as a microSDHC slot.

Is HD deinterlacing not working properly on the Mi Box in generell or just in Kodi? If the Live TV Channels App together with a tvheadend server backend is deinterlacing well, then that would be good enough for me.

Is a USB-Ethernet Adapter good enough to stream full Blu-ray rips from a NAS?

Does the Mi Box support CEC for example to turn on the TV, when I power on the Mi Box and to turn it off, when I put the Mi Box to suspend. Can the Mi Box change TV's volume trough the Volume keys on the Mi Remote utilising CEC?

Would be great if you could help out clarifying those questions Smile

Thanks
Regards
Vlaves

No hdmi Cec far as I know. It puts the box to sleep and My tv stays on.
(2016-11-26, 16:12)Vlaves Wrote:
from that link above...no Hardware deinterlacing in Kodi...but...
  • (22 Nov.) - Hardware deinterlacing now working for up to 1080i mpeg2 / H264 TV viewing when using the TvHeadend for Live Channels App. See HERE for install details.
Be aware TvHeadend Live Channels is exactly that "Live Channels" - there is no Recording, Timeshift or Timer functionality yet. Its TV streaming only from a backend server.

Quote:Is a USB-Ethernet Adapter good enough to stream full Blu-ray rips from a NAS?
I do not have an adapter to test.
802.11n WiFi seemed more than fast enough when I tested various clips, even 4K ones. If have very good WiFi tho. User results may vary.

Quote:Does the Mi Box support CEC for example to turn on the TV, when I power on the Mi Box and to turn it off, when I put the Mi Box to suspend. Can the Mi Box change TV's volume trough the Volume keys on the Mi Remote utilising CEC?
Very basic HDMI-CEC control from my TV remote works for GUI navigation.
The Mi Box Automatically goes into a Suspend Mode when I turn my TV OFF. And Resumes again when I turn the TV On.
The Remotes ON/OFF button either Suspends the Mi Box or Reboots it. It does not Turn Off the TV via HDMI-CEC.

I strongly suspect Xiaomi have cut corners here and have not implemented AMLogic's full monty HDMI CEC control options because HDMI-CEC is not configurable in Android Settings like you would normally see with AMLogic Android.

(2016-11-26, 16:05)ilGimmy Wrote: Hi guys, any Italian user knows if "Infinity TV" app works, or says the box is rooted?
No it is not rooted. Infinity is not installable nor from store neighter from sideload install (application crash at start). Anyway you may use Google cast from a smartphone or tablet, using mibox as receiver
(2016-11-26, 16:05)ilGimmy Wrote: Hi guys, any Italian user knows if "Infinity TV" app works, or says the box is rooted?
Thanks a lot for your help and answers Smile
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21