• 3(current)
Codec Info overlay
I am working on it once there are no other todos with higher prio on my list - while this one has the lowest.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-05-23, 17:55)newphreak Wrote: If you need somewhere to release some anger, I can suit up in a sumo-wrestler blow-up suit and we can fight. Big Grin

I am sorry, every time I see Ned Scott trolling around I tend to overreact.
I always assumed there had to be a good reason for doing this, so thanks for clarifying.

And yes, i think the average Joe will live through this.
In my case it's just my neurotic side that wants to see it restored ;-)

Like always ' It's done when it's done'.
(2016-05-23, 18:08)Memphiz Wrote: I am working on it once there are no other todos with higher prio on my list - while this one has the lowest.

I have added back the useful information in my tree:
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commi...0be19c0bd7

I think the implementation is better than the previous code.
I can PR it, or alter it if there are still things done incorrectly.
(2016-05-23, 20:46)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 18:08)Memphiz Wrote: I am working on it once there are no other todos with higher prio on my list - while this one has the lowest.

I have added back the useful information in my tree:
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commi...0be19c0bd7

I think the implementation is better than the previous code.
I can PR it, or alter it if there are still things done incorrectly.

That's just adding back the old crap. If you want to display static info about audio and video streams, ask a skinner to implement a new dialog for this. All those values are available for skins to display.
* Koying tries to remember why he stopped contributing... Oh, right!

PS Don't forget to rename the command. A "CodecInfo" without... codec info doesn't make much sense.

PPS Oh, and don't forget to mention somewhere that the users need to enable the webserver to get codec information via JSON.
yea. and, eh, there is no such thing like "codec info" in skins anymore. the infobool was removed. this also made things like pvrplayback.signalquality useless.

I guess most of the info will not be available to the skins, now, anyway, is that right @FernetMenta ? if so "do it in the skin" arguments do not hold.. if not, please excuse my ignorance.

EDIT: and you may sa NedScott is trolling, but he has very valid points, sometimes Smile
this is what skins can additionally display:

as the showcodec infobool is gone, i would require users to press two buttons to display all the info...
'o' to display the core provided info
and a skin button (on the video osd for instance) to show the skin provided info.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-05-20, 12:52)Ed76 Wrote: there are some informations that should be implemented back again:

1) resolution: at the moment there is no information about the resolution of a video. this is especialy importand for online videos.
2) cpu usage
3) used codec (also most importand for online sources, e.g. i play a music stream and its usefull to know if the stream is 128 kb/s mp3 or aac or ogg...)

@stefansaraev: maybe you are able to impement "inbetween"-solution?. i think kodi 16 and older have to much codec-informations but kodi 17 have far to less informations. maybe its possible to bring back the most important infos.

(2016-05-24, 14:57)ronie Wrote: this is what skins can additionally display:

as the showcodec infobool is gone, i would require users to press two buttons to display all the info...
and a skin button (on the video osd for instance) to show the skin provided info.

is there only 1 team Kodi member who has a say in things now?

it seems like only a single team Kodi member is dictating the direction of the project, I learned as a very young child that teamwork is the way to go!
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-05-24, 08:19)Koying Wrote: * Koying tries to remember why he stopped contributing... Oh, right!

PS Don't forget to rename the command. A "CodecInfo" without... codec info doesn't make much sense.

PPS Oh, and don't forget to mention somewhere that the users need to enable the webserver to get codec information via JSON.

I hope that you will always keep the codec overlay the way it is right now in SPMC. I for one find it an important tool when I'm trying to troubleshoot problems over the phone with my family. There is no way I'm going to get my wife or mother to use JSON to troubleshoot issues.
(2016-05-24, 15:23)dukester Wrote:
(2016-05-20, 12:52)Ed76 Wrote: there are some informations that should be implemented back again:

1) resolution: at the moment there is no information about the resolution of a video. this is especialy importand for online videos.
2) cpu usage
3) used codec (also most importand for online sources, e.g. i play a music stream and its usefull to know if the stream is 128 kb/s mp3 or aac or ogg...)

@stefansaraev: maybe you are able to impement "inbetween"-solution?. i think kodi 16 and older have to much codec-informations but kodi 17 have far to less informations. maybe its possible to bring back the most important infos.

is there only 1 team Kodi member who has a say in things now?

it seems like only a single team Kodi member is dictating the direction of the project, I learned as a very young child that teamwork is the way to go!

+1

displaying all info at once makes no sense. leave the debug info to the devs and create a new dialog for the users. start by defining the information you would like to display and why.
CodecInfo was probably not meant to show debug info nonsensical to users in the first place, but was abused (only departed devs might tell, I guess).
I'd rather suggest to move all those debug info out of reach of users in a new overlay (not mapped by default), rather than the contrary.
So we basically have these options atm:

1) two overlays
- make current codecoverlay a real debug overlay just for devs, by adjusting the function names and adding a new builtin etc to be able to toggle it
- re-implement a sightly more user oriented codec/playback overlay

2) as.xml
we could add a as.xml setting that converts the codecinfo overlay to the pure debug overlay we currently have. If the setting is not defined, we'll show all the additional info like before as well. Benefit here is, that no keymap adjustments are needed and no additional dialog for skins needed

What should it be?
the skin dialog is already there. and it is not a dialog, at all, just some controls on a fullscreen window. currently it serves no purpose. and no, you can't show everything (without skin work) that was shown before, see my comment on pvr signalquality above.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Codec Info overlay1