• 5(current)
Codec Info overlay
(2016-05-25, 10:53)xexe Wrote: I can see this feature was removed as the code was ugly but what is not clear is if it is coming back with feature parity. I can only see comments that it is bottom of a todo pile which normally means never.

JSON is not a viable alternative to this. There is a fundamental difference between asking someone to press a key and read something or screenshot it than enabling web interfaces and browsing (this is a support task in itself). It also assumes they have a network at all.

Since all of the above is obvious I can only assume the fundamental use case of this feature is misunderstood. This has always been as much a support feature as it is a developer feature. If that use case was never intended then so be it but that ship has long since sailed.

+2

I used it extensively for support.
I signalled that I am willing to work with whoever is interested in creating a better better solution but this thread seem to be stuck. The old dialog won't be resurrected. Period.
In SW development we start with capturing requirements and use cases. This is was I suggested a couple of posts ago. That is the only way that will lead to anything.
(2016-05-29, 11:32)Ned Scott Wrote: We want to know if something is hardware decoded or not.

I take this as an example for a valid requirement. The old code covered this requirement not very well. A new implementation could explicitly indicate that hw acceleration is active.
(2016-05-29, 15:28)FernetMenta Wrote: I signalled that I am willing to work with whoever is interested in creating a better better solution but this thread seem to be stuck. The old dialog won't be resurrected. Period.
In SW development we start with capturing requirements and use cases. This is was I suggested a couple of posts ago. That is the only way that will lead to anything.
OK - probably makes sense to create a new thread to capture requirements - this one has got a bit mired.
too much "period"s nowadays.
(2016-05-24, 18:24)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-24, 17:46)da-anda Wrote: 2) as.xml
we could add a as.xml setting that converts the codecinfo overlay to the pure debug overlay we currently have. If the setting is not defined, we'll show all the additional info like before as well. Benefit here is, that no keymap adjustments are needed and no additional dialog for skins needed

Not sure who would ever go through through the hassle of editing as.xml to show less info, imho, but I'm not sure I completely understand your proposal.
It'd make sense to have an as.xml setting to show the additional debug info, though, with the default being to only show basic user-friendly info.
my point with this basically was, that devs that depend on realtime stats like Fernet will adjust the as.xml to eliminate the "overhead" that displaying the other info is creating.
(2016-05-31, 09:13)da-anda Wrote:
(2016-05-24, 18:24)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-24, 17:46)da-anda Wrote: 2) as.xml
we could add a as.xml setting that converts the codecinfo overlay to the pure debug overlay we currently have. If the setting is not defined, we'll show all the additional info like before as well. Benefit here is, that no keymap adjustments are needed and no additional dialog for skins needed

Not sure who would ever go through through the hassle of editing as.xml to show less info, imho, but I'm not sure I completely understand your proposal.
It'd make sense to have an as.xml setting to show the additional debug info, though, with the default being to only show basic user-friendly info.
my point with this basically was, that devs that depend on realtime stats like Fernet will adjust the as.xml to eliminate the "overhead" that displaying the other info is creating.

Yep, completely agree. That'd also eliminate the support questions about stats that 99% of users don't have a clue about Wink
sorry for intrusion

for me the best was like that

miss only cpu use
Here's all the info I would find useful in the Codecinfo, which I would probably rename to "Detailed Status". Or maybe "Stats for Nerds" like Chrome.

Video: explicit hardware accelerated flag, codec, container, resolution, bitrate, dropped/skipped frame counter, refreshrate (and whether the display is synced to the content), CPU utilization
Buffer utilization, as MB and percentage
Audio: codec, channels, bitrate, sample rate
Network: usage (averaged over past 5 secs), wifi signal quality, device info

I would organize it similarly. Made a quick mockup.
(2016-06-28, 17:59)rodalpho Wrote: Here's all the info I would find useful in the Codecinfo, which I would probably rename to "Detailed Status". Or maybe "Stats for Nerds" like Chrome.

Video: explicit hardware accelerated flag, codec, container, resolution, bitrate, dropped/skipped frame counter, refreshrate (and whether the display is synced to the content), CPU utilization
Buffer utilization, as MB and percentage
Audio: codec, channels, bitrate, sample rate
Network: usage (averaged over past 5 secs), wifi signal quality, device info

I would organize it similarly. Made a quick mockup.

+1
When i press 0 on playing video, the box only contains the how long the video has been playing and how long the video is, no frame information or anything, this is on Kobi 16.1 Jarvis on my Android TV box Mine MXQ running kitkat v4.4.4

I am following the guide in the link below.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo

Thanks for any help

John.
(2016-09-22, 14:06)Tinderbox (UK) Wrote: When i press 0 on playing video, the box only contains the how long the video has been playing and how long the video is, no frame information or anything, this is on Kobi 16.1 Jarvis on my Android TV box Mine MXQ running kitkat v4.4.4

I am following the guide in the link below.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Codecinfo

Thanks for any help

John.

Pressing O in Jarvis will display usual stream info, CPU etc.
Something like this:

Pressing O in Krypton will display this new player process info dialog.
Something like this (depends on the skin):

Pressing I on both versions will display various scraped info and also info on duration, remaining time etc.
Hi.

It look like my mistake i was pressing 0 zero and i brings up the playback time instead of press letter O that brings up the codec info.

Thanks

John.
Biggest thing I miss from old codec info is showing the buffer in MB. Sure we still have the progress bar to see a buffer, but it is not exact like the old codec info and it is hard to tell when playing HD video as the progress bar buffer is so small.
I played a couple of 10bit 1080p h.264 and h.265 video and the cpu usage on all 4 cores of my RK3229 was in the 70-90% range, does that high if cpu usage mean that the cpu was doing the decoding instead of the gpu?

John.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Codec Info overlay1