UEFI WINDOWS + OPENELEC LIVE STICK
Smile 
Hi,

The current setup i'm trying to achieve is to have a windows 10 machine that boots straight to windows. But when I insert an openelec live stick it boots to openelec.

However my current issue is that if I set my bios to UEFI it boots windows fine boot won't boot the usb even if it's first in the list. If I set it to legacy it will boot the USB fine but windows won't boot at all.

This is a little outside of my area and i'm unsure what to do as this setup works absolutely fine on my other PC. Can someone advise me on the best option and how to do it? Will installing something like ubuntu + grub2 and switching to legacy work? Is there a way to make the live stick work with UEFI enabled?

(not sure if this is the best sub forum, please move if appropriate)

Thanks,
Ian
Bump,

Surely someone knows if it's possible to get openelec to boot with uefi from a usb?
There is an additional complication. A lot of x86 Compute sticks have 32 bit-only UEFI BIOSes combined with 64 bit processors, running 32 bit Windows builds (because at one point only 32 bit Windows had power management suitable for Tablets - where these products have spun out from).

This can be a real pain. Those that DO have 64bit UEFI compatibility often have it as a BIOS option (so you have to change a BIOS setting to switch between them)

Your stick has a Legacy option - so you are lucky. Many don't have that at all...
(2016-05-23, 14:40)noggin Wrote: There is an additional complication. A lot of x86 Compute sticks have 32 bit-only UEFI BIOSes combined with 64 bit processors, running 32 bit Windows builds (because at one point only 32 bit Windows had power management suitable for Tablets - where these products have spun out from).

This can be a real pain. Those that DO have 64bit UEFI compatibility often have it as a BIOS option (so you have to change a BIOS setting to switch between them)

Your stick has a Legacy option - so you are lucky. Many don't have that at all...

It's not actually a windows stick it's an alienware alpha with a full 64 bit windows. Every other PC/Laptop i've used openelec on tends to have a UEFI+legacy support so it can boot both. For some reason this bios only let's me select either UEFI or Legacy.

Do you know if it's possible to make a USB stick with an openelec install UEFI bootable?
(2016-05-23, 14:59)ianuk2005 Wrote: It's not actually a windows stick it's an alienware alpha with a full 64 bit windows. Every other PC/Laptop i've used openelec on tends to have a UEFI+legacy support so it can boot both. For some reason this bios only let's me select either UEFI or Legacy.

Do you know if it's possible to make a USB stick with an openelec install UEFI bootable?

the default OE installer image is UEFI compatible, and will install as UEFI when booted as such. It worked fine with my AA in UEFI mode (before I sold it).
(2016-05-23, 18:17)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 14:59)ianuk2005 Wrote: It's not actually a windows stick it's an alienware alpha with a full 64 bit windows. Every other PC/Laptop i've used openelec on tends to have a UEFI+legacy support so it can boot both. For some reason this bios only let's me select either UEFI or Legacy.

the default OE installer image is UEFI compatible, and will install as UEFI when booted as such. It worked fine with my AA in UEFI mode (before I sold it).

Interesting I'll give it another go from the start again then I guess. So the install stick worked fine for your on the AA as well as an install of OE on a usb?

Off topic but be interesting to hear your thoughts on the alpha as an OE machine as you have used a variety of different hardware.
(2016-05-24, 11:32)ianuk2005 Wrote: Interesting I'll give it another go from the start again then I guess. So the install stick worked fine for your on the AA as well as an install of OE on a usb?

Off topic but be interesting to hear your thoughts on the alpha as an OE machine as you have used a variety of different hardware.

just make sure you use the disk image version, not the update file (which contains the old create_installstick program), as that's the one that's UEFI compatible. Also, I'd recommend switching over to LibreELEC (7.0.1 stable).

the Alpha was perfectly functional for Kodi/OE, but subjectively I felt the image quality on Intel hardware was slightly better. I bought it to be an all-in-one game/Kodi box, but despised running Windows on it, and SteamOS is still a WIP.
(2016-05-24, 18:06)Matt Devo Wrote: just make sure you use the disk image version, not the update file (which contains the old create_installstick program), as that's the one that's UEFI compatible. Also, I'd recommend switching over to LibreELEC (7.0.1 stable).

the Alpha was perfectly functional for Kodi/OE, but subjectively I felt the image quality on Intel hardware was slightly better. I bought it to be an all-in-one game/Kodi box, but despised running Windows on it, and SteamOS is still a WIP.

Massive thanks looks like I was going wrong using the create_installstick method. Using the img worked a charm. Also switched to libreelec as suggested.

I bought the alpha mainly as a gaming machine, I really hope steamOS is good in a few years but atm using windows with shell set to steam so its more controller friendly. It still however has the regular windows hiccups and i have to use vnc from my phone to click error dialogs etc.

Just retired my nl54 to use the alpha for OE now i have freeview instead of freesat (dvbs2 usb tuner prices are ridiculous) and its a big improvement. Installed to a sandisk ultra fit usb so i can just pop it out when im gaming Smile.
(2016-05-25, 01:40)ianuk2005 Wrote: Just retired my nl54 to use the alpha for OE now i have freeview instead of freesat (dvbs2 usb tuner prices are ridiculous) and its a big improvement. Installed to a sandisk ultra fit usb so i can just pop it out when im gaming Smile.

A Quad tuner SAT>IP server is probably the best way to go for DVB-S2 these days. Still not as cheap per tuner as DVB-T2 - but a lot cheaper than 4 x USB DVB-S2 tuners, and you can site the server where it is convenient and just have to run an Ethernet cable from it (not 4 x LNB feeds)

That said - my current main viewing set-up for TV Headend is 3 x DVB-T dual tuners (Sony PS3 Play TVs) to get me the 6 UK DVB-T muxes, and 2 DVB-T2 (soon to be 3) to get me the PSB3 and COM7 HD muxes (need to add COM8) This allows for simultaneous viewing and recording of any or all channels. (It's running on a small x86 Ubuntu server box running with GigE)
(2016-05-25, 10:31)noggin Wrote:
(2016-05-25, 01:40)ianuk2005 Wrote: Just retired my nl54 to use the alpha for OE now i have freeview instead of freesat (dvbs2 usb tuner prices are ridiculous) and its a big improvement. Installed to a sandisk ultra fit usb so i can just pop it out when im gaming Smile.

A Quad tuner SAT>IP server is probably the best way to go for DVB-S2 these days. Still not as cheap per tuner as DVB-T2 - but a lot cheaper than 4 x USB DVB-S2 tuners, and you can site the server where it is convenient and just have to run an Ethernet cable from it (not 4 x LNB feeds)

That said - my current main viewing set-up for TV Headend is 3 x DVB-T dual tuners (Sony PS3 Play TVs) to get me the 6 UK DVB-T muxes, and 2 DVB-T2 (soon to be 3) to get me the PSB3 and COM7 HD muxes (need to add COM8) This allows for simultaneous viewing and recording of any or all channels. (It's running on a small x86 Ubuntu server box running with GigE)

Yeah it's definitely not cheap, I did consider buying a wetek play at one point just because it's works out cheap for 2x dvb-s2 tuners and can host tvheadend. Ended up just sticking with the n54l with my pcie card for ages.

Options are definitely better for dvb-t/t2, just bought a ps3 play tv for now to do SD + recording as I tend to only ever record kids shows from a single channel. Might have to get a t2 stick for HD eventually and maybe a 2nd play just because they are so cheap.

Out of interest have you ever uncased the play tv? The casing is really bulky for what I image is just a small board, if i ever get more would be interesting to rehouse them in a small case with a usb hub. I imagine you could make a tiny TVHeadend server with a rpi, an uncased usb hub and some uncased play tvs in a custom case which would be rather cool.
Found some images of the PCB for the playTV, the casing is indeed overkill. Might have to get a rpi and try a diy job at some point.

http://two-bit-posts.blogspot.co.uk/2010...laytv.html
Try my build for tronsmart IZ37 (works with UEFI32) latest LibreELEC 8 with Kodi 17 beta3
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dybgh8

(works only with internal memory NAND/eMMC - during installation process keep connect over USB only USB installation driver)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UEFI WINDOWS + OPENELEC LIVE STICK0