24p flawless playback - is it possible?
(2016-05-26, 16:07)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 15:53)MrMC Wrote: This reminds me of those that say they can hear/see less than 25 ms of a/v sync. Sorry but humans are just not built with the ability to do this. RealWorld physics just sucks sometimes.
We do have folks with golden ears and 17 year old kids becoming doctors. So we cannot say all human beings are equal Smile For most of us it takes ~110ms for the late cortical peaks of auditory brainstem responses to show up. In other words it takes about 110ms for an auditory stimulus to reach congnition, but there can be exceptions Smile

Yea, and I have some 10,000 dollar audio cables to sell Smile

Serious, there is such a thing as the standard bell curve. Most fall in the middle, an exceptional few fall at the extreme ends. Past those edges, you just cannot bend the laws of physics, no matter how hard one tries. And as you approach the limits, then how far away you are from the sound sources start to matter. Sound waves are really slow compared to light photons. Then you have eye response times, ear response times. It's amazing we silly humans can do better than 100ms, we are such slow time domain creatures.

And, yes. I'm a physicist and routinely deal with such quantities as femto amps and pico seconds. Now that's when things get really interesting Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-05-26, 16:07)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 15:53)MrMC Wrote: This reminds me of those that say they can hear/see less than 25 ms of a/v sync. Sorry but humans are just not built with the ability to do this. RealWorld physics just sucks sometimes.
We do have folks with golden ears and 17 year old kids becoming doctors. So we cannot say all human beings are equal Smile For most of us it takes ~110ms for the late cortical peaks of auditory brainstem responses to show up. In other words it takes about 110ms for an auditory stimulus to reach congnition, but there can be exceptions Smile

Yep - though it may take 110ms (just under 3 'PAL' frames - you can clearly see 3 'PAL' frames of out-of-syncness - so the brain does cope with detecting differential errors less than that order of magnitude.)

Rule of thumb in UK broadcast TV is you don't normally get massively disturbed by 1 frame of A/V error, but 2 or more become noticeable (you notice it one way a little more than the other in my experience) You can certainly see A/V sync errors when you use radio cameras or drop digital video effects devices into a chain, and you have to be careful with panel delay now we're not using CRTs.
(2016-05-26, 16:08)wrxtasy Wrote:
Unless you're Noggin !!! Wink

No - 25ms is just over a 'PAL'-field. I'd be hard pressed to see that - in fact I'm pretty sure I can say I wouldn't (assuming that is the only delay in the chain)

1 'PAL' frame is 40ms - once you get more than a frame of delay you definitely start seeing rubbery lips and 3 frames is usually horrible. Once you get to 4 or 5 (160-200ms) stuff starts looking very odd indeed.

Hate myself for using 'PAL' to mean 50i/25p - but it does make things easier... I'll do penance in private...
(2016-05-26, 17:55)joelbaby Wrote: Aside from flawless 24p playback (and I guess you mean 23.976 - not 24.000) and network access you haven't specified any other use case.
All the boxes that have been recommended are cheap, and easily resalable.
I didn't specify because there are lots of things I'd my box to do but most of them I can find myself. 24p and audio delivery were something I couldn't find clear answer. And now I knew how does this work and what boxes can do what so I can combine this knowledge with other requirements to find the winner. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24p flawless playback - is it possible?0