24p flawless playback - is it possible?
(2016-05-23, 10:07)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 09:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Any improvements to deinterlacing, as these two platforms should have the CPU ponies to do YADIFx2 aka Software Deinterlace ?

I haven't tested it on arm, yet. Up to your tests, I just assumed YADIF was so optimised for x86 that it wasn't even worth trying on arm.
Nexus is x86, though, so yadif should be available (but not tested by me).
Interlaced 720x576i ONLY for problematic DVD's on AML or SD TV:
1.5GHz S805 ARM, the best than can be achieved with smooth playback is Deinterlace-half aka YADIF

2.0GHz S905 ARM, enough CPU Ponies to achieve Deinterlace aka YADIFx2.
I would think 2.0GHz S812, can also do YADIFx2 as well. That will be my next test for WeTek Core.

This is with a recent 2.8.6 version of ffmpeg. Everything NEON optimised.
Your mpeg2 .vob Software decode patch comes in real handy for DVD's Wink

(2016-05-23, 10:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 10:07)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 09:36)wrxtasy Wrote: Any improvements to deinterlacing, as these two platforms should have the CPU ponies to do YADIFx2 aka Software Deinterlace ?

I haven't tested it on arm, yet. Up to your tests, I just assumed YADIF was so optimised for x86 that it wasn't even worth trying on arm.
Interlaced 720x576i ONLY for problematic DVD's on AML or SD TV:
1.5GHz S805 ARM, the best than can be achieved with smooth playback is Deinterlace-half aka YADIF

Bob would be better than YADIF 1x (aka Deinterlace half) for native interlaced content though.

The point of the fix is to handle native interlaced content with 50/59.94Hz motion, that causes problems when hardware deinterlacing is disabled. YADIF 1x will give you 25/29.97Hz motion, whereas Bob will give you 50/59.94Hz but with a vertical resolution reduction. Given that 25p native content is OK with a weave (i.e. deinterlacing disabled) - then Bob surely is the best solution?
(2016-05-23, 11:18)noggin Wrote: ..a weave (i.e. deinterlacing disabled)...

Sorry to be picky, but weave IS a deinterlacing method, just the simpler and less qualitative one. It's the one which was used on ATV1 by the h/w decoder for example.
You have to apply *some* deinterlacing to display a interlaced image on a progressive display Wink
DeInterlacing conversation transferred over to the appropriate C1 thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2342771

(2016-05-23, 07:59)Koying Wrote: I must say that 24p should be pretty much flawless on Nexus Player and AFTV as well, since the addition of "sync to'display" to Android in kodi 17/spmc/mrmc... unless someone tested otherwise Wink

Thats sadly not really working on Fire TV 4k Sad Its the first thing I immediately tested when 16.3.0 was released. Somehow it doesn't get the systems real refresh rate. Mine is set to 50Hz as I watch Live TV in Europe.
If I display the codec info, last line shows 60Hz, although my TV shows 50Hz.
Would be great if I could just speed-up my 24p content by 4% to 25p and have it playing perfectly synced to display Smile

(2016-05-23, 10:07)Koying Wrote: ...

I hope we will be able to test yadif 2x soon on the AFTV, at least the Fire TV4k I hope is powerful enough to do it...

Thanks koying and the other for all your work Smile
(2016-05-23, 11:24)Koying Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 11:18)noggin Wrote: ..a weave (i.e. deinterlacing disabled)...

Sorry to be picky, but weave IS a deinterlacing method, just the simpler and less qualitative one. It's the one which was used on ATV1 by the h/w decoder for example.
You have to apply *some* deinterlacing to display a interlaced image on a progressive display Wink

Yes - fair point. I'm always interested to see how different codecs and implementations handle the presentation of an interlaced frame to a deinterlacer - do you get Field 1 followed by Field 2 (as you would in a composite analogue, SDI or HD-SDI baseband connectio) or do you get a single frame with the two fields interlaced together (which is effectively a weave deinterlace for free)
(2016-05-23, 14:05)noggin Wrote: Yes - fair point. I'm always interested to see how different codecs and implementations handle the presentation of an interlaced frame to a deinterlacer - do you get Field 1 followed by Field 2 (as you would in a composite analogue, SDI or HD-SDI baseband connectio) or do you get a single frame with the two fields interlaced together (which is effectively a weave deinterlace for free)

IIRC, ffmpeg present them as basically 2 images: top & bottom fields.
If the Kodi renderer sees the top & bottom fields, meaning no "advanced" de-interlacing was applied in ffmpeg post-processing, it does a plain weaving.
Thanks all for your comments...even if they started to be something that I didn't understand too much. Wink

From what I see there is only WeTek Play 2S, C2 and nVidia Shield...and yet the last one has problems with 24p at the moment from what I've seen on their forum. Anyway now I need to sort out few other questions I have but that something for different topic. Smile
(2016-05-23, 20:01)Draghmar Wrote: From what I see there is only WeTek Play 2S, C2 and nVidia Shield...and yet the last one has problems with 24p at the moment from what I've seen on their forum.

Which will be resolved in the 3.2 FW for the Shield, and should be release soon. Currently the problem is that it's slightly off and is more of an issue manually setting it in Android, but less of a problem when using Kodi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Maybe but when I add inferior scaling algorithms (I read something like that regarding PQ), no samba support outside of rooting device and being more expensive I'm asking myself is it worth a risk. But like you see it's still on my list. Tongue
Anyway thanks for your input. Smile
@Koying, when you say 24p should be pretty much perfect on AFTV, we are referring to 23.976 right? I was under the impression that AFTV lacked 23.976 and only had 24.000.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-05-23, 23:58)Draghmar Wrote: Maybe but when I add inferior scaling algorithms (I read something like that regarding PQ), no samba support outside of rooting device and being more expensive I'm asking myself is it worth a risk. But like you see it's still on my list. Tongue
Anyway thanks for your input. Smile

You don't need to root for SMB, as long as the app supports SMB you can use it, you can stream from Kodi via SMB, NFS, FTP or upnp. The only thing that it doesn't have is built in SMB support, meaning it doesn't work without an app.

If you're referring to copying files to an attached drive, then if nothing else you can use FTP: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...l-drives-/ or use Kodi's own built in file manager.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-05-24, 00:31)hdmkv Wrote: @Koying, when you say 24p should be pretty much perfect on AFTV, we are referring to 23.976 right? I was under the impression that AFTV lacked 23.976 and only had 24.000.
Correct, the Nexus Player and AFTVs do not have 23.976Hz output. Koying's statement is stretched by 1.001xx Wink and is applicable only when sync playback to display is enabled and audio passthrough is disabled. I wouldn't call it flawless playback. I would rather say that the playback is within acceptable limits Smile
Question regarding this 23.976fps -->>>24fps method , does a TV autoswitch into its Movie or Cinema mode ?

You really need that activated to see nice smooth natural looking video playback without having to apply stupid amounts of motion smoothing which then results in the "Soap Opera" effect or as I like to call it "Hobbit Vision" Wink

23.976 and 24.000 are flagged as the same HDMI mode so I see no reason for them not to both trigger the same mode on a TV. The only difference between them is a slight change in the HDMI pixel clock I believe.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24p flawless playback - is it possible?0