Intel NUC DCP847DYE with 8GB
HDHomerun Prime
Sony STR DH-520
LG 55LM6700

Software:
Windows 8.1
Kodi Jarvis 16.1
NextPVR 3.6.6

When run "full screen" after a period of time (could be 5 min, could be 5 hrs) kodi goes to a blank, black screen. It still responds to commands from KORE, but if you command it off, it will cause windows to reboot. If run in a window, this behaviour is absent.
I have this problem, too. If you do a search on "black screen" you'll see others have this and similar problems, but as far as I can tell, nobody has been able to offer a real solution. I think some are going back to version 15, some are using workarounds like running in a fullscreen window. Sorry, I can't help you more.
Probably best to go back to Kodi 15. That's what I did. I don't think it will be fixed any time soon.
I think this is a windows problem personally as my test laptop with old intel GFX not DX11 approved works perfectly on windows 10 build 14342 and has done for the last several days looping a 1080p tv show obviously with the sound down and not viewable.

This was an experiment based on another post but strange how it works eh? Could be lucky of course i'll leave it running till after the weekend and report back.

14342 is an insider build of windows 10 and seems pretty dam bomb proof.

PS running Jarvis 16.1
Well ... just installed KODI ver 16.1 = JARVIS

I'm using a WINDOWS-7 (ULTIMATE) machine Fresh install = all UPDATES in place ... 8GB of RAM

MINE is a brand spanking NEW install of KODI 16 and it immediately goes to "NO GUI" failure

ERROR: unable to create GUI, exiting :-(

Then I get the "BLACK SCREEN" and when I Control / Alt / Delete / I get TWO programs identified a KODI running

When I terminate EITHER "KODI" program both terminate & I get my desktop back again

COOP
Try v16.0. I waited for 16.1 before upgrading from 15.2 thinking I would benefit from waiting on the first "bug-fix" release. I had similar issues (black screens that appeared to be lock-ups similar to yours, video judder, UI losing focus to windows all the time). It was pretty much unusable.

Then I installed 16.0 over top, and it works 100% perfect, none of those issues whatsoever. So for me, for whatever bug fixes were "supposed" to be included in 16.1, it appears to have just broken a bunch of things, and since 16.0 is working perfectly, I have no compelling reason to upgrade to any of the incremental releases.

Cheers
TRJB
WiSeN-hEiMeR: Was just an idea based on my test with a crappy intel gfx card just thought you may be interested considering you can roll back if all fails but even better would be to install it on another hard drive and keep your setup as is or clone it so you can revert easier if you so happened to want to try that solution. The gentleman above is correct v16.1 does nothing extra over 16 other than bug fixes but if they don't fix your bugs its not much help.

IMHO Intel should stick to making CPU's.
Thanks for BOTH of these suggestions ... I will attempt to install ver 16.0 ...

BTW: I had the same problem with XBMC Jarvis ... ERROR: Unable to create GUI, exitingHuh
v 16 is a good option lots of ppl have said its working better than 16.1 for them
(2016-05-26, 18:00)Derek Wrote: IMHO Intel should stick to making CPU's.
...I have to say in Intel's defense - as well as my main HTPC that has a pretty old ATI/AMD on-board HD3200 (RS780), I'm also running v16.0 on my laptop that has an i7-3630QM with integrated HD4000 graphics which is a 3rd gen processor/video chip, about 4 years old, and it works 100% without issue on the intel chip too. In fact, I've been quite impressed with video processing and stability power of the integrated Intel chips since back when the core i3/i5/i7's first came out. I've had 1st/2nd and now 3rd Gen versions of these and never had issues. I had *way* more issues with ATI/AMD video chips over the years.

Cheers
TRJB
(2016-05-27, 16:22)therealjoeblow Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 18:00)Derek Wrote: IMHO Intel should stick to making CPU's.
...I have to say in Intel's defense - as well as my main HTPC that has a pretty old ATI/AMD on-board HD3200 (RS780), I'm also running v16.0 on my laptop that has an i7-3630QM with integrated HD4000 graphics which is a 3rd gen processor/video chip, about 4 years old, and it works 100% without issue on the intel chip too. In fact, I've been quite impressed with video processing and stability power of the integrated Intel chips since back when the core i3/i5/i7's first came out. I've had 1st/2nd and now 3rd Gen versions of these and never had issues. I had *way* more issues with ATI/AMD video chips over the years.

Cheers
TRJB

I agree with what you've said I've installed Kodi 16.1 on a dell E4300 with intel 4000 series GFX and a core 2 duo CPU and its been running for many days on a loop without incident, just a lot more people seem to have a problem with Intel GFX than Nvidia which is why I wont buy anything with Intel graphics. I installed it as a portable install which shouldn't make any difference but when I installed it normally it didn't work I got the usual die on start error message which is why I sometime advise trying a portable install as the other benefit is the entire Kodi install is in one directory including the config files.
THE ANSWER: upgrade to WIN 10. Hasn't happened since I made the change.
THE ANSWER: upgrade to WIN 10. Hasn't happened since I made the change.
(2016-07-25, 13:26)Dmurph02 Wrote: THE ANSWER: upgrade to WIN 10. Hasn't happened since I made the change.

I wish that was the answer. It happens on my WIN 10 all the time.
Downgraded to 15.2 and all is stable and smooth again.
Same black screen issues on clean windows 10 install with Jarvis 16.1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Locks up; black screen0