Remote Backup - Kodi Player
Hello,

I am looking for a simple solution that will allow me to backup my media/data at a remote location and have Kodi on it as well.

I already have a decent external drive. I can get one of the cheap android devices to run kodi. However, I need remote access to this unit so that I can backup to this external USB drive.

I know that I could probably get some NAS storage but I am looking for an inexpensive solution since I already have the storage I need and need it to run Kodi as well (to play local media from the storage device). Also, I must be able to update the data on the drive using some secure method; perhaps sftp etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
For full remote control youll need a VNC server in the remote android device or an app like teamviewer or any other that let you do unattended access to the remote android device.
If you just want to control the storage then you have to look for an app that let you create a server of your protocol of choice.

I've personally used Servers Ultimate PRO app (highly recommended) to create
different types of Servers in my Android box (which I sold), including VNC Server (that one was bit slow due to incompatibility).
You could also try a Sync app to sync an specific folder to your external drive and also to the cloud (Dropbox, gdrive, skydrive, etc), so you can make changes using the cloud service and it will sync to your android device automatically.

Note: depending on the services you'll run, you'll need an static IP address or a DDNS (eg: mydevice.something.net) to access your remote android device.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-05-24, 03:45)Veronica Wrote: For full remote control youll need a VNC server in the remote android device or an app like teamviewer or any other that let you do unattended access to the remote android device.
If you just want to control the storage then you have to look for an app that let you create a server of your protocol of choice.

I've personally used Servers Ultimate PRO app (highly recommended) to create
different types of Servers in my Android box (which I sold), including VNC Server (that one was bit slow due to incompatibility).
You could also try a Sync app to sync an specific folder to your external drive and also to the cloud (Dropbox, gdrive, skydrive, etc), so you can make changes using the cloud service and it will sync to your android device automatically.

Note: depending on the services you'll run, you'll need an static IP address or a DDNS (eg: mydevice.something.net) to access your remote android device.

Thanks Veronica. I have DDNS setup on both ends. I'll take a look at what servers are available for the android box. I will check out servers ultimate pro as well.I have a decent size NAS on my end so going through could services would require that I shell out subscription fees for large storage TB+. I don't need full desktop access, just the storage. Did you ever do Secure FTP to the Android box?
I didn't test SFTP because at that time it wasn't added, I just tested FTP and worked fine.
Now I see that developer has updated the app with very nice features. He has now added SSH FTP (SFTP) and USB/IP server (this will let you run a NAS Server) to mention a few, there are also Rsync, WebDav servers that you could also give it a go.
Download the Servers Ultimate (non PRO) trial version to do the test, you can only add 2 servers but once you test one server you can remove it and test another one. 7 days should be enough for testing purposes.

Do you plan to access your NAS content from the remote android device aswell?
(2016-05-24, 16:43)Veronica Wrote: I didn't test SFTP because at that time it wasn't added, I just tested FTP and worked fine.
Now I see that developer has updated the app with very nice features. He has now added SSH FTP (SFTP) and USB/IP server (this will let you run a NAS Server) to mention a few, there are also Rsync, WebDav servers that you could also give it a go.
Download the Servers Ultimate (non PRO) trial version to do the test, you can only add 2 servers but once you test one server you can remove it and test another one. 7 days should be enough for testing purposes.

Do you plan to access your NAS content from the remote android device aswell?

Thank you Veronica. I will give it a try.

No, I do not plan to access NAS content directly over WAN with the Android device but instead replicate the NAS onto the remote USB drive so that Android can access it locally. I think it will make the experience a lot better. Also, this will allow me to have a remote backup of my NAS.

Do you have any experience with NAS adapters? Essentially, they take any USB drive and turn it into an entry-level NAS. I have never used one but found a few while researching.
I've read about few of of those, there's the PogoPlug that you can even "hack it" (depending of the model) and install a Linux distro on to it. USB drives are connected to USB ports though.
Like the Pogoplug there are many similar devices, often USB to Network connection so no bay with the controller.
Most of these devices have poor rating.

In my research I've also found others that are enclosure 1, 2 and 4 bays...

1 bay:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PJO53V...NHV8YYZA2Z - it has an Ethernet port included.

The following are not NAS type but DAS (Direct Attached Storage) and so will need another device to work as the server:
2 bay:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M77UOC...PI482&vs=1
4 bay:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003X26VV...93WGVZLKR4

I was itchy to get the probox 4 bay one but comments made me change my mind, plus all are $99/$100+ to the exception of the pogoplug devices.

What I ended up doing (TO GET ME STARTED) was to get an Archer C7 router (I needed a new router anyway), flashed it with gargoyle firmware and then connected a 3tb HGST NAS hdd in a Plugable USB 3.0 enclosure I already had (was connected directly to my Asus Chromebox before).
So my Archer C7 is my "NAS adapter" and provides me with SMB, NFS, FTP, UPnP, DLNA, OpenVPN, Web servers (much more if manually installed) and I don't have to be paying yearly subscriptions for X features. Bah!
I do have one of the archer routers at my remote location. Perhaps, I will check it out and see if I can load gargoyle on it. I have never heard of this firmware before. I have only used dd-wrt in the past (and with great success).

Regarding the USB san controllers, I don't see very many good reviews either. Also, most limit you to FAT32 as well. Perhaps moded router will work better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Backup - Kodi Player0