Upgrading from Frodo to Current?
I've been on Frodo 12.3 for years, mainly because my wife hates it when I change anything about the interface. But now it's getting to the point where nothing is working well anymore so it's time to upgrade. Anyone else attempted such a drastic upgrade? Is anything salavageable or am I better off starting from scratch with a fresh install? Cheers.
If you're currently using the Confluence skin, you might want to hang on until Kodi 17 goes mainstream. It includes a replacement for Confluence that will look quite different. See https://kodi.tv/a-brand-new-look-for-fut...-versions/

Andy
If you upgrade from Jarvis or earlier then by default you'll stay with Confluence, even in Krypton.

Estuary is only the default skin for brand new fresh installs of Krypton onward, although it is of course available from the official repo for people who upgrade and want to switch (as is Confluence for people with new Krypton installs who want to go back to it).

Personally for such a situation, it would be better to upgrade in stages rather than a direct "all at once" jump, but also to review the time that will take and the merits and disadvantages of just burning to the keel and starting again with a fresh install (or even a parallel portable install initially to confirm SWMBO will actually accept the change in the first place before you commit to it).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-05-24, 12:44)DarrenHill Wrote: Personally for such a situation, it would be better to upgrade in stages rather than a direct "all at once" jump, but also to review the time that will take and the merits and disadvantages of just burning to the keel and starting again with a fresh install (or even a parallel portable install initially to confirm SWMBO will actually accept the change in the first place before you commit to it).

Yeah that's why I'm leaning towards a fresh install. I feel like I've installed it enough times at this point (both on Windows and Linux) where I should be able to get it up and running on all machines in a day.

Quick question for you to get me up to speed. Does the library sharing between networked machines work the same as it used to? (i.e. MySql database with advancedsettings.xml)?

thanks for the replies.
(2016-05-24, 16:59)snafu7x7 Wrote: Yeah that's why I'm leaning towards a fresh install. I feel like I've installed it enough times at this point (both on Windows and Linux) where I should be able to get it up and running on all machines in a day.

Quick question for you to get me up to speed. Does the library sharing between networked machines work the same as it used to? (i.e. MySql database with advancedsettings.xml)?

thanks for the replies.

Yeah, it does. You can probably keep your original advancedsettings.xml, although some things in it have changed (check wiki for details).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
MySQL (wiki) for more details.

Note that all versions of Kodi sharing it need to be the same major version (Isengard, Jarvis, Krypton etc).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Wow, that went off completely without a hitch, 100% seamless upgrade.

I figured I'd just give it a shot and see what would happen since I was planning on having to wipe everything and start fresh anyway. So when it prompted me 'you are upgrading from XBMC, do you want to copy over your settings, this will uninstall the previous version' I said Yes and it all worked seamlessly. The only mistake I made was on the 1st machine I left XBMC running so it didn't copy over teh advancedsettings.xml and I had to do that manually, on the other machones it did that for me. All told I was back up and running in about 30-40 mins tops.

You guys have done a great job with the upgrade process in your later releases (unlike the early days when it was more hit or miss). There are some big software companies who could learn a lot from you on how to avoid breaking changes. Thanks!
Other option if your worried a certain build wont work on your system is to install in a different location i.e. C:\test when you install and it asks if you want to delete the other kodi installation say no and don't check the box run kodi then the install is finished.

Then create a shortcut to the new kodi = c:\test\kodi.exe -p

This will run kodi in portable mode and allow you to evaluate how it runs on your system and also means you can have multiple installs of kodi on one PC (Great for testing)

Just my 2p worth.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading from Frodo to Current?0