Skipping with MMAL in MythTV recording
I know the new VideoPlayer is a work in progress. But maybe my logs could help in anyway to make it better.

I have a problem when skipping in recordings made by MythTV. Everything works fine with OMX player, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the recording.

First, when skipping forward the picture is grey and very pixelated ½-1 second. See pictures:

watch gallery

The same thing happens when skipping back. But when skipping back very often the whole picture freeze. Sometimes it resumes after 15-20 seconds, and sometimes I don't want to wait any longer.

In the log I skipped around a bit to trigger this behavior.
Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qao0wh1pcpnnws...ip.7z?dl=0

I made a 2 minute clip of the recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzb8mxw0s4f1z5...ng.ts?dl=0

If you instead of skipping rewind in the recording the picture freeze and you get no visual feedback of where you are in the stream, and when you press play it takes several seconds before you have a moving picture again. But you can see that the timer is moving so I guess that the video is playing but you cant see it.

The only thing I change is enable/disable OMX player, MMAL. All other settings is the same for both methods.

I hope this is to some help.
Had to switch back to OMX player. Almost impossible to skip with MMAL. OMX works perfect, but there I get audio sync problems instead.
I see the artefacts when skipping. That is due to decoding pictures without a valid IDR frame. It corrects on the next IDR frame (which with live tv tend to be every second).

We should be discarding those, so I'll investigate that.
(2016-05-31, 23:07)popcornmix Wrote: I see the artefacts when skipping. That is due to decoding pictures without a valid IDR frame. It corrects on the next IDR frame (which with live tv tend to be every second).

We should be discarding those, so I'll investigate that.

Thank you.

Did you manage to get the freeze of the picture when skipping or rew/ff? I could upload a bigger sample if necessary. That is a bigger problem than the artifacts.
(2016-06-01, 17:32)raptorjr Wrote: Did you manage to get the freeze of the picture when skipping or rew/ff? I could upload a bigger sample if necessary. That is a bigger problem than the artifacts.

The "corrupt" flags attached to the frames decoded without an IDR frame present were not being propagated to the additional deinterlaced frames,
so they weren't being discarded correctly. I have a fix for that. (I suspect disabling deinterlace or using one of the half rate modes would also avoid the issue).

I have seen a couple of stalls (or around 15 seconds). I think that is a different issue, so I'm still investigating.
Thank you. Just tell me if you need more samples or any testing done.
I've seen the stalls on other files also, not only MythTV recordings.
So either out of sync audio after a program change with OMXPlayer, or close to impossible to pause/skip LiveTV with MMAL =\ So kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.
@raptorjr Can you test tonight's milhouse nightly build.
I've added a fix for this issue.
Downloading it now.

Edit:
Testing it now #618. It seems to work at first, maybe when I skip the first 10-15 times in different directions. Then the same problem occurs, have to wait 15-20 seconds or more after a skip.
Rew/FF is also very unstable. No visual feedback, the picture freeze and you only see the current position counts up/down. Sometimes when you press play the playback starts, and sometimes you have to wait a long time.

If needed I can give longer sample and debug log.
You need #619 for fix in tonight's build.
The build is on the server but the announcement thread hasn't updated yet.
Ok, sorry. Will try again after work =)
Skipping seems pretty stable now. Only tried on a recording, will try more on LiveTV later.

Rew/FF is not as good as OMXPlayer. It got better with this update. At least you don't get the complete freezes, even worse than when skipping, so it is more usable than before.

I don't get any visual feedback when doing Rew on a recording, the picture freeze until you press play, and FF is only "smooth" up to 4x speed, compared to OMX that handles it better.
When doing FF on LiveTV, Kodi doesn't understand when getting to the end of the LiveTV buffer that it should start normal playback, instead trying to continue with FF on a small buffer resulting in jerky picture and no sound until you manually press play. Would be nice if normal speed was resumed when reaching the end of the LiveTV buffer.

But at least it seems that you don't have to exit a playback anymore to continue watching, so a big improvement.

Thank you.

And if you need logs or recordings to test, if/when the Rew/FF issue is on the top of the list, just tell me and I will get them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skipping with MMAL in MythTV recording0