nVidia Shield and 25Hz movies
So after a couple hours of fiddling I still can't get my Sony XBR to look good, but the newer Sharp works well now! There are different mode options on the Sharp's TV picture menu (standard, movie, sports, video game, etc...). I'd been using only the 'standard'. When I switched to the 'movie' mode the 25Hz file worked perfectly. No more stutter/judder/jerking. Very nice. Odd that I could not find that info anywhere on the net or in the manual. I'm hoping this option is also buried in the Sony somewhere, I'm still going to search when I have the time.
First rule when buying any modern TV is to go into the menus and disable every possible digital processing option, switch off "Natural Motion", "Motion Flow" etc. set the sharpness to zero, and disable any 'Vivid', 'Sport' etc. picture mode and go for manual settings of brightness (Which is black level), colour (which is saturation), and contrast (which is effectively usually how 'bright' the whites are) You may also have a backlight control - which is often set a bit too high...

You can then selectively enable various processing modes to see what they do - but most of them are junk and do nothing to improve picture quality. It's amazing how much better TVs can look if you do this. (I found someone had re-enabled a contrast enhancement mode on my TV a while back - it looked like it had developed a fault...)
For Sharp TVs (at least those made around the time mine was) the User preset is what's recommended to get the best picture, Then make minor adjustments according to what you best feel suits you.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
nVidia Shield and 25Hz movies0