Recommend QNAP TS-251?
Would you guys recommend the QNAP TS-251 2-Bay Personal Cloud NAS to use with Kodi?
If yes, the 1GB memory or 4GB memory?
Laptop: Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) | 1 TB + 8 GB SSHD
Kodi 18.3
MiniPC: LibreELEC 8.2.1
Sharing Media: SMB (HDD: 2 TB, 1 TB) | Media Manager/Organizer - Media Companion
Thread moved to hardware
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I got a QNAP TS-451 (upgraded to 8GB ram) and it does what it's supposed to do.
I'm running some lxc containers with gitlab, plex etc. as well, that's why I have 8GB of ram.

So generally speaking, yes it will work with kodi just fine.

From a nerd perspective though, the firmware could be better and boot time is annoyingly slow (e.g. in case of firmware updates)

But the biggest downside IMO is how shares work.
Assume you have a "root"-directory called "Multimedia". You can share that one via nfs, smb etc. just fine
but you can NOT share a sub directory of "Multimedia" (e.g. Movies, TV-Shows or Music).
This doesn't matter to much if you are the only user but if you have multiple, you either give them access to "Multimedia"
or you don't at all.

Personally I like "deep" folder structures organized in a sensible way rather than throwing everything into "root" and that's
what I did (as I'm the only user of the NAS).

But as I said, it does what it's supposed to do (sharing files via network) and that works just fine Smile
(2016-05-27, 08:46)DarrenHill Wrote: Thread moved to hardware

Thanks. After I posted I realized.

(2016-05-27, 09:44)Tadly Wrote: I got a QNAP TS-451 (upgraded to 8GB ram) and it does what it's supposed to do.
I'm running some lxc containers with gitlab, plex etc. as well, that's why I have 8GB of ram.

From a nerd perspective though, the firmware could be better and boot time is annoyingly slow (e.g. in case of firmware updates)

Assume you have a "root"-directory called "Multimedia". You can share that one via nfs, smb etc. just fine
but you can NOT share a sub directory of "Multimedia" (e.g. Movies, TV-Shows or Music).
This doesn't matter to much if you are the only user but if you have multiple, you either give them access to "Multimedia"
or you don't at all.

Personally I like "deep" folder structures organized in a sensible way rather than throwing everything into "root" and that's

But as I said, it does what it's supposed to do (sharing files via network) and that works just fine Smile

Thanks for this very informative response.
I love the idea of multiple users, but I guess I can do without it. However without file permissions it'll be risky. Anyone can delete my files. Is this all due to the firmware?
Laptop: Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) | 1 TB + 8 GB SSHD
Kodi 18.3
Sharing Media: SMB (HDD: 2 TB, 1 TB) | Media Manager/Organizer - Media Companion
(2016-05-27, 12:22)marhutchy Wrote: Thanks for this very informative response.
I love the idea of multiple users, but I guess I can do without it. However without file permissions it'll be risky. Anyone can delete my files. Is this all due to the firmware?

No no no.. you have permissions and you can have multiple users.
Following my previous example, you can set different access-rights per "root"-folder per user. That's not an issue.
Further you can set user/group permission on a file/folder basis (unix system) and restrict access that way.

What I meant is that you can't share the folder "Movies" within "Multimedia" on its own. So you either share the whole
"Multimedia" folder to user x,y and z or you put the "Movie" folder into "root" (not as sub directory of "Multimedia").
This will ultimately lead to a looooooot of folders within your "root" directory.
(at this point I should mention that by "root" I do NOT mean literal / but instead the most toplevel directory you'r allowed to
create folders in as of the firmware.)

You can do a lot on this system as it "just" a unix (pretty stripped down but still)

Let me visualize what I mean:
Code:
root (underneath here you create shareable folders)
  |- Multimedia (this directory you can share via NFS, smb, etc.)
     |- Movies (will be shared indirectly as the folder above was shared. Can have a specific user/group assigned to it though)
     |- Music (same as above)
     |- TV-Shows (same as above)
         |- <whatever> (same as above)
Hope that clears it up a bit

btw. there's a live demo of the software you can have a (somewhat restricted) play with
https://www.qnap.com/i/en/support/con_sh...wone&cid=8
I have a Synology and it has the same problem (shares only on root folders). But I think you can add permissions on the folder level.
(2016-05-27, 09:44)Tadly Wrote: I got a QNAP TS-451 (upgraded to 8GB ram) and it does what it's supposed to do.

From a nerd perspective, though, the firmware could be better and boot time is annoyingly slow (e.g. in case of firmware updates)

Assume you have a "root"-directory called "Multimedia". You can share that one via NFS, smb etc. just fine
or you don't at all.

Personally, I like "deep" folder structures organized in a sensible way rather than throwing everything into "root" and that's

What RAM did you use for the upgrade?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-05-27, 13:04)Tadly Wrote:
(2016-05-27, 12:22)marhutchy Wrote: Thanks for this very informative response.

No no no.. you have permissions and you can have multiple users.
Following my previous example, you can set different access-rights per "root"-folder per user. That's not an issue.
Further you can set user/group permission on a file/folder basis (unix system) and restrict access that way.

What I meant is that you can't share the folder "Movies" within "Multimedia" on its own. So you either share the whole
"Multimedia" folder to user x,y and z or you put the "Movie" folder into "root" (not as sub directory of "Multimedia").
This will ultimately lead to a looooooot of folders within your "root" directory.
(at this point I should mention that by "root" I do NOT mean literal / but instead the most toplevel directory you'r allowed to
create folders in as of the firmware.)

You can do a lot on this system as it "just" a unix (pretty stripped down but still)

Let me visualize what I mean:
Code:
root (underneath here you create shareable folders)
  |- Multimedia (this directory you can share via NFS, smb, etc.)
     |- Movies (will be shared indirectly as the folder above was shared. Can have a specific user/group assigned to it though)
     |- Music (same as above)
     |- TV-Shows (same as above)
         |- <whatever> (same as above)
Hope that clears it up a bit

btw. there's a live demo of the software you can have a (somewhat restricted) play with
https://www.qnap.com/i/en/support/con_sh...wone&cid=8

I see. I see.
Kodi 18.3
I have both a qnap and synology. I personally prefer the QNAP over synology.

I would max out the available memory when you get it... because ... why not? you are investing in a great piece of hardware might as well get it up to spec as it should be.

I have a much much older model 639-Pro circa 2007 that still runs like a champ.
(2016-05-27, 16:15)bry- Wrote: I have both a qnap and synology. I personally prefer the QNAP over synology.

I would max out the available memory when you get it... because ... why not? you are investing in a great piece of hardware might as well get it up to spec as it should be.

I have a much much older model 639-Pro circa 2007 that still runs like a champ.

Why do you like the Qnap over the Synology?
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
hardware seems more sturdy, the OS.
(2016-05-27, 16:42)bry- Wrote: hardware seems more sturdy, the OS.

I bought the Synology D1815+ and setting the SHR(raid 5) took me almost a weekNo
How fast is the Disk Expansion on the Qnap?
getting a bit offtopic here - I believe I followed this many years ago: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=10268
Quick noob questions to all of you that have experience with NAS:
When I play media from the NAS via NFS do I have to worry about buffering, or is that a bandwidth issue?
Decoding of the media files are done by the media player and not the NAS right?
Kodi 18.3
Correct.

Sent from my XT1254
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend QNAP TS-251?0