Remote keyboard+trackpad with W10 gestures
I have a laptop with a 'precision touchpad' as defined by Microsoft. That means I get to use gestures in Windows 10. I like the feature a lot, to the extent that I no longer feel the need for a separate mouse.

I also have a HTPC with a remote keyboard that has a built-in touchpad, but it's too old to support gestures. I now find it very frustrating to use when - without thinking - I try to use gestures on it.

So, I'd like a remote keyboard that has an integrated touchpad that supports gestures under W10. The ones I use a lot are:
  • 2-finger tap for right-click
  • 2-finger drag for scroll up, down, left, right
  • Double single-finger tap to start drag (although I'm not sure that's a gesture)

I've looked at a few remote keyboards that offer gestures (e.g. the Microsoft media all-in-one) but I can't find an unequivocal statement that they will provide the gestures I need under W10 (e.g. the Microsoft documentation is specific to W8).

Do you have a suitable keyboard that you know works with W10 and that you can recommend?

Any help much appreciated,

Andy
If you mean this one : http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/...d#overview

The the answers are (just tested it for you, on Windows 10) :
  • 2-finger tap for right-click - Yes, it works.
  • 2-finger drag for scroll up, down, left, right - Yes it works.
  • Double single-finger tap to start drag (although I'm not sure that's a gesture) - can't seem to manage to this one (never used it, so i might be failing to invoke it), but isn't pressing the left button area and dragging easier ?
That's very kind of you. Thank you.

My laptop's trackpad doesn't have discrete buttons, so I find the double-tap and drag to be the most natural way to do it. It would be a very hard habit to break now.

If you have the time, could you go to Settings / Devices / Mouse & touchpad and see if it says "Your PC has a precision touchpad" immediately below the Touchpad heading and/or if there's a setting for "Allow double-tap and drag"?

Andy
It doesn't list the touchpad there separately. In device manager it shows up as mouse.

At Downloads section you can download Mouse and Keyboard Center 2.7, which as first option has "Multi-touch trackpad settings", which gives you this configuration window :

I guess this answers your remaining questions ?

Please note, that by default, the upper row is in "media keys" functionality, to use them as F1-F12, you need to either use Fn key, or switch to F1-F12 with Fn+Caps Lock button combo (Fn Lock).
Yes, it looks like it does everything I want except the double tap and drag (even the flip scrolling direction which I didn't include in my original list).

I'm going to monitor how I use the old keyboard for a while to see just how much I'd miss that feature.

Thank you again,

Andy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote keyboard+trackpad with W10 gestures0