Struggling to view live TV in Kodi
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Windows 7 based HTPC running Kodi and mediaportal TV Server for live TV via a USB tuner. It is all working well.

I have since setup a TV in the bedroom with a Raspberry Pi running OpenElec and I'm trying to stream my Live TV through that. I have installed Mediaportal PVR Client and it picks up the channels and EPG guide if I use the local IP as hostname, but when I try to view a channel I get a message saying "Cannot access c:\Program Data\Team Mediaportal...". I have tried changing from IP to PC name as per UNC connection, but keep getting the connection lost message if I don't do it via IP.

I have tried changing the playback method from TS Reader to FFMPEG and now i can view a channel but it is in extreme slow motion with lots of pixelated artifacts.

Any suggestions for settings I can change to get it streaming smoothly? Or is the RPi just not powerful enough to stream Live TV this way? It ios able to stream the videos I have stored on my NAS without issue. The RPi is connected via WiFi, the NAS and HTPC are both ethernet.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have the mpeg2 codec purchased and activated?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
No, that is something I will need to do. Still, in the past without that codec and using tvheadend I was getting audio with no picture at all, yet here I have a picture that looks like 'buffering' issues or similar. Is that the likely cause do you think, not having the MPEG codec?

Sent from my Nexus 6P
"Cannot access c:\Program Data\Team Mediaportal...". sounds like a configuration problem. There should be no need for the client to access what would appear to be a local folder. Even if this is where the live TV buffer is being saved, it should still be shared over the network, and accessed as a SMB share.

I also find that I need to use the IP address rather than the name of the computer. If you go into the file manager and add the name of the computer there, this does help. Search the forum here. There are lots of issues with SMB shares accessed from non-Windows systems.

TsReader should be fine for the streaming method.

Do you have the original Raspberry Pi? Model A, model B? The model B should be fine - just about. Raspberry Pi 2 is better.

Of course, streaming live TV over Ethernet won't be the fastest solution.

My gut feeling - some configuration issues, and a setup which is not going to give it the best shot. How about powerline networking?
By default media portal tv server will write to the local machine "C:\Program Files\<etc>" and you need to change it to write to a shared folder which is accessible from network clients i.e. \\WindowsPC\Timeshift and \\WindowsPC\Recordings.

The media portal site has a good guide for this TV Server Advanced Options

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Struggling to view live TV in Kodi0