waveshare touchreen doesnt function in Kodi
hello,

i am currently playing around with my waveshare touchscreen. the idea is to combine it with a RPI2 in a car entertainment center.
currently i have to touchscreen working on raspbian jessy. i installed kodi using the terminal and set it to autostart on startup by changing ENABLED=0 to ENABLED=1 in /etc/default/kodi
that all works well. bud the touchscreen stops working in kodi.

so i checked a couple of think that i thought might be the problem.

1) in the same file i set autostart i changed the user from kodi to pi since that is the username i am currently using for the pi.
2) i checked in kodi if touchscreen control was set to enabled, whitch it was.
3) checked the settings i use in the config.txt . they seem to be ok

hdmi_cvt=800 480 60 6
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

thesethings didn't help and i don't know what the solution might be. the screen itselfs works fine. it is the touch part that stops working when kodi starts.

all help is welcome,
thanks in advance
I haven't tried these myself, because I broke the touch layer on mine (intentionally, as it was not needed and improved the picture quality for my project), but a while back I saved some links related to touch input on the Pi: http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi#Random_notes

Those might have some more info.
I have same issue, waveshare touchscreen does not supports on Kodi.

Thank and regards,
Neeraj
hello,

thanks for the reply's.
since yesterday i made some progress, i noticed that the user Kodi uses is called kodi, bud i log in as pi.
so i started thinking that it might be a problem with rights to input devices and other system functions. i looked up how to give a user rights to certain functions. and used the following commands to give the user "kodi" some extra rights to the system:

sudo usermod -a -G audio kodi
sudo usermod -a -G video kodi
sudo usermod -a -G input kodi
sudo usermod -a -G dialout kodi
sudo usermod -a -G plugdev kodi
sudo usermod -a -G tty kodi

i rebooted the system and did get the touchscreen sort of working. if i touched in the region of the upper left corner i could see the cursor moving in the lower middle region, bud that is aboud it.
funny thing is i also noticed kodi didn't detect any external connections like a mouse or keybord. after giving kodi rights to the system inputs that problem was solved.

any tips on how i might get the touchcreen work a little bit better? since it is doing something i would like to test and check other options.
which brands of touchscreens does kodi support? since i might need to replace the 5" waveshare touchscreen with another one to use in my car.

thanks
Hi lordfrank1,
Regarding Touch screen calibration:
I think you might be using CarPC (http://engineering-diy.blogspot.in/2014/...dates.html). If so? then it won't work. it is not supported to RPi(new version). I have spent lot of time on this and had all same problem mentioned by you . Finally I have installed OSMC and applied CarPC skin to it.

Waveshare touchscreen:
have you tried playing video? In my case everything was working fine except touch screen(same problem as u mentioned). but by using external keyboard/mouse, when I start playing video, it was showing white screen continuously.

If you directly download and install Kodi (OSMC) from NOOBs. all functionality like touch screen and video all works well.

Thanks and regards,
Neeraj
hi

i have also been testing with carpc and got that working with the touchscreen. however i was trying other possible solutions as well since it is and interesting subject. bud mainly because i wanted to find out what the most efficient way is to get the results i want, and trying different things is the best way to find out.

i am going to test with OSMC as you suggested and also apply that skin (if i can find it) and see if that is what i want. i only want the entertainment functions and not any navigation or OBD2 things.

regarding playing videos on my touchscreen: no, i havent yet tested it, i will try it tonight and see what happens.

thanks for your help.
I have the waveshare 5" touch screen
touch works in raspbian
but only the top left corner works in kodi.

please help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
waveshare touchreen doesnt function in Kodi0