Solved prefer .mkv MediaInfo over .iso MediaInfo
Hey there,

in some cases one find it useful to have two formats of the same movie in one folder:

For example:

My Movie Name (2000)
-> My Movie Name (2000).iso
-> My Movie Name (2000).mkv
-> My Movie Name (2000).nfo
-> My Movie Name (2000)-poster.jpg

The .mkv-file should supply TMM with all the good Media Information (as it always works if there is no additional .iso file)

Because of the existence of the additional .iso file Media Information remains empty.

It would be a great improvement, if TMM would react to such a case and prefer the .mkv Media Information.

Thanks!

Edit:
Annoying workaround meanwhile: Temporarily rename the additional .iso file to iso.xxx, rescan MediaInfo in TMM - voila - all there. Rename .iso.xxx back to .iso.

Edit 2:
Just to be safe: Deleting .iso files within Setting-filetypes-Menu would be no solution since this would lead to .iso-file-only movies being skipped from TMM scanning completely.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
With 2.8, we now have the possibility to add some "edition" tag to a movie: http://www.tinymediamanager.org/blog/movie-editions/
So you will get 2 movies, slightly different named.

You cannot have a movie with 2 main files; no mediacenter would know what to play...
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice :)
Wanna help translate TMM ?
Thanks for your reply!

But - i have to correct the latter statement:

KODI supports multiple main movie files (like in my exact example above) without any problems - for as long as i can think.
The movie then just shows up two times in your library and can be differed by the filename (for example) which is shown in the movie info dialog.
I know many people which also use this easy and simple way to have both .mkv and .iso backupped without having the downsides of duplicating the movie folder itself. (Not, that my buddies have to matter to you - but just saying Big Grin )

This considered, i think it still would be great and helpful to have TMM using the .mkv MediaInfo over the (non existant) .iso MediaInfo.

Thanks again.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
So even Kodi threats that as 2 movies inside library Wink

TMM can do the same, if we set the the filename slightly different.
Problem here is, we're basically mixing 2 movies.
moviename.iso & moviename.mkv -> both will have moviename.nfo

There *must* be some differentiation possible with your 2 files.
When not on edition, maybe on datasource?
What is it?
Or is the mkv a 1:1 rip of iso?
(2016-06-07, 09:30)myron Wrote: There *must* be some differentiation possible with your 2 files.
When not on edition, maybe on datasource?
What is it?
Or is the mkv a 1:1 rip of iso?

Yes, we're only talking about cases where the .mkv and parallel .iso file are the same thing from the exact same source. The .mkv exists for reliable normal main movie playback and the parallel .iso file is a 1:1 backup of the existing original disc (including menus, extras) which is not needed that often, but should stay there as is, since it's wanted for backup and/or "extras-viewing" purposes.

I'm also a friend of clean libraries, why i can understand your mentioning of the possibility of edition and datasource, but in this exact case i still think a "TMM workaround" which prefers .mkv over .iso when trying to do MediaInfo would solve things quite nicely without hurting other functionality in TMM (as far as is can predict).

EDIT: Additional Info - just tried/looked again:

While we're using the file structure mentioned in the first post, looking at the TMM "Media files"-Tab reveals, that TMM seems to scan the MediaInfo for the .mkv file, but does not use that scanned info for the movie+nfo because the existance of the additional .iso just "distracts" it somehow from using it.

Thanks again!
Well, when having more-than-one video files in a directory, TMM creates 2 different movies out of that.
Since the filenames are *exact* the same, it's only one movie.
This might be a "bug"... but thinking that further, we might keep this behaviour as a feature... TBD

Another outstanding request is, to get MediaInfo also from ISOs. (from a single video file inside the ISO)
Might be possible in a later version.

Then it comes to the renamer.
When a movie has 2 videos with different resolutions (eg a DVD ISO and a BD rip as MKV)... which one should we take?
We might rename the ISO then with the BD resolution values...

So i'm still unsure how to solve that satisfying for all...
I tend to fix that "bug", so that a movie can only have one main video file...
After having thought about the matter:

- I think it would be nice to be considered as a feature (and i not only say that because my library would benefit from it)

- Yes, i read about MediaInfo ISO. Happy if it's there one day - but also quite happy without. Smile

- Regarding renamer: I can understand the concern - but if you are talking about _exactly_ identical filenames, i would consider it an user error. Files should never have identical filenames - only exception is when it's exactly the same thing (besides iso/mkv file format differences). Combining same filenames with DVD-.iso and 1080p-.mkv just makes no sense. I fact i only know users which use this "identical movie filenames"-situation for exactly the same purpose i/we describing in this thread.

Question: Does the actual state of TMM in this matter hurt other users? The addition of prefering the existing mkv.-MediaInfo (see my last post "additional info") would make it a great feature without hurting anyone imho Smile
(2016-06-02, 00:53)axbmcuser Wrote: It would be a great improvement, if TMM would react to such a case and prefer the .mkv Media Information.

IMHO, this would be the wrong way. I wouldn't prefer a specific filetype. Take the other way:

If there are movies with identical filenames but different extensions, use the one that gives mediainfo. E.g.:

Prefer AVI, M2TS, MKV, MP4 over ISO.
I agree with that. I mentioned .mkv because it's the most common - of course every other common format besides .mkv should be prefered over the (non-existant) empty .iso-MediaInfo.

I have to mention though, that we are talking about a "feature-case" where the .iso and other (main movie file) like a .mkv file are and only should be exactly the same thing (same source, same (untouched) quality and resolution.

.avi and .iso would not really qualify for such a case imho - but i get and agree with your core point.
with 2.8.1 the "disc image types" are sorted to the end of the VIDEO files and thus the mediainfo will be taken from the "common" video types
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
Great. Thank you!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
prefer .mkv MediaInfo over .iso MediaInfo1