SMB share 'Operation Not Permitted'
Server: Mac Mini OS X 10.11.5
Client: AppleTV OSMC May 2016 release with Kodi v16.1 on USB thumb drive
Network: static IP's set by router, gigabit ethernet

First off, I know support for the AppleTV is limited and not actively supported by Kodi. However, I believe this is an issue with Kodi. I have posted in the support forums of OSMC to try and attack this on two fronts. Regardless, hear me out please.

I just installed OSMC on a USB thumb drive for testing. Everything setup properly and I got to the default Kodi menu (I changed from the default OSMC interface). I changed the SMB settings to match the workgroup all computers on my home network are on. I then went to files to add a new source and selected Windows Network (SMB) and I get "Error 2: Share Not Available". I then select Zeroconf and it shows my Server(SAMBA) so I select it and nothing happens. No error message and it doesn't browse the share. I then back out to the top level and add a manually entered share with "smb://server.local" and I leave the login info blank since guest sharing is enabled on my server. I click ok and I get the error "Operation Not Permitted" and it's unable to browse the share. I have also tried manually adding a share by IP address, with a known admin login, with all variations of smb://user:password@Server.local and no matter what I type in for the connection string, it refuses to connect.

I have CrystalBuntu2 with Kodi v14.2 installed on the internal drive and on all other computers (and currently using until I can resolve this issue) and browsing through zeroconf or manual share add works just fine. Browsing Windows Network(SMB) still fails but I have two other options that work so that's not an issue. Under OSMC I also mounted the share through a terminal at the Linux level with the command "sudo mount -t cifs -o user=guest //192.168.1.10/TV_Shows /mnt/TV_Shows". When I browse through the command line I can get to my server share and thus browsing through Kodi in the local filesystem also works. So I know SMB/CIFS settings are correct between my server and the Linux subsystem of OSMC.

Has anyone else experienced this? If you have, is their a solution? I am aware Apple has a "roll-your-own" SMB version that has had numerous problems in the past but has gotten better over the years. I also know some will suggest installing SMBUp on the Mac but this is not a native solution, nor is it an answer to my question as the native SMB sharing in Mac works with Kodi 14.2.
10.11.5 broke smb again. Wait for a fix or -> http://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=642
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
Interesting. I'll give that a try and report back. I guess that is a very real possibility with every update Apple releases, which I seem to have forgotten about.
No dice. I put the two lines in as suggested by that link you shared and I still get the same results. Kodi just refuses to connect to my Mac SMB shares. I tried entering by IP address, friendly dns.local name, and browsing zeroconf for the share and I get the operation not permitted error. I restarted both the server and the client to make sure changes were applied. I also started digging into file and share permissions on the Mac but those are all set correctly/previously and work in older versions of Kodi.
Quote:10.11.5 broke smb again

Thanks for that, I spent hours racking my head for this. I installed SmbUP which is a replacement for Samba on OS X and it works like a charm. I'm sharing between my mac and Kodi on my TV.

but the audio is lagging a bit....
I'm having the same problems as @squirtbrnr. I thought I was the only one having SMB connection problems. I've been using Kodi (Jarvis) on my FireTV 2nd gen. and I'd never had any problems connecting to my older Macs running Snow Leopard (10.6.8). They all appear under WORKGROUP and connect easily. My 2TB Time Capsule also shows up and connects (I had to configure it using a line with the password in it someone had said to use). However, ever since I upgraded my 2012 MacMini to El Capitan (10.11.6 currently) I'm always getting that "Operation Not Permitted" popup on my Kodi box whenever I try to access the MacMini with SMB. So annoying. So far, I've only tried SMBconfig because I figured it was a one-click solution that might work. Nope, that doesn't work. I guess I'll have to try SMBUp. Some time ago I had problems with connecting my Snow Leopard machines but a simple permissions repair fixed that up. That didn't work with the MacMini. Someone had said to try SharePoints but that application doesn't work with El Capitan.

It's not a huge setback to not be able to connect to my Macs as long as the Time Capsule connects and I can always access files through that. It's just that it's so stupid that SMB on a Mac doesn't work the way it should. I set up my sharing folders on the MacMini the same as my other computers and it's not working so I figured it was El Capitan. No thanks to Apple for messing up the SMB standard. I suppose SMBup is going to be my only solution with El Capitan.
I installed SMBup on my MacMini with El Capitan and in under five minutes SMB sharing worked perfectly with my FireTV and Kodi (Jarvis). It's pathetic how Apple with all of it's money can't manage to get SMB shares working properly. As long as SMBup stays compatible with future OSX upgrades, I have no worries with SMB sharing at all.
Hey Constable Odo,

I'm brand new to Kodi and have partially the same setup as you. I don't use Kodi to access a Mac computer, only to access a Time Capsule that has all my movies on it. I'm using Jarvis also, latest version (updated today). Firestick just like you. I've been saving the source for smb using Videos-->Add videos-->and then typing the address in smb://[timecapsulelogin]:[timecapsulepassword]@timecapsuleaddress it connects to my Time Capsule fine initially. Then if the firestick gets turned off it won't work and gives me "Operation Not permitted"" and "couldnt connect to network server" errors. i figured out that the path isn't being saved with the [timecapsulelogin] and [timecapsulepassword], only the IP (timecapsuleaddress) is being saved.

Have you had a problem with this? How did you save your time capsule path into Kodi so that it would come up every timeHuh?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB share 'Operation Not Permitted'0