Upgrading to Windows box from Android. Good idea?
Does any one know of a setup which can boot Windows as well as other os. If so problem solved. I wouldn't go for a firestick because of the simple fact they don't include Kodi in the app store. Also don't overlook wrxtasy list of top boxs he posted earlier in this thread.

Customized THL 5000
Libreelec, or any linux distro will dual boot with windows.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-06-11, 07:49)nickr Wrote: Libreelec, or any linux distro will dual boot with windows.
Is that by partitioning the drive?
I guess Windows can be setup to boot from sd too.
To continue with thread, I recently installed kodi pvr on Windows dvb-t(nextpvr) and librelec dvb-s (vdr). Both pretty straight forward. Live tv within Kodi is another reason why it's the best media player hands down.

Customized THL 5000
If you install, say, ubuntu on top of windows, it will partition your existing disk, or install to a different disk if you have more than one. It will install the grub bootloader to control booting.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-06-11, 03:41)chr1s0fnak1 Wrote: I wouldn't go for a firestick because of the simple fact they don't include Kodi in the app store. Also don't overlook wrxtasy list of top boxs he posted earlier in this thread.

In an ideal world I wouldn't recommend a Fire Stick for that reason either, I also wouldn't normally recommend one for Kodi use, whilst Kodi works on it its not a patch on using better more expensive hardware,
but it does offer a cost effective solution for an almost all in one place remote friendly media device.
How long it remains so I don't know but its very easy right now to install things on it Amazon don't want you to have (like Kodi) and that kinda appeals to me, its probably very silly on my part but feels like I'm sticking it to the Amazon man on their subsidised hardware lol.
If your comparing current windows 10 to the insider builds theres a fair difference in speed and stability I find windows 10 insider builds great but the current build is a pile of poo, as said above though unless you want to add major storage to your single device an android system is the way to go really imo. Both have their merits as per everything in life.

I have one of those 8 core android devices and it plays ANY media without a glitch.
(2016-06-09, 03:17)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-06-08, 23:29)dishe Wrote: But anyway, this conversation has very quickly derailed. All I wanted to know is if Kodi on windows would work well and have similar compatibility and performance as it would on an Android platform of similar hardware specs. Smile

Basically, no. Because for one thing Android mostly runs on ARM (though you can run it on x86, Nexus Player is x86), but Windows need x86. So your aren't going to get "similar hardware specs".

(2016-06-08, 23:29)dishe Wrote: My current Android box (MXQ) came with an IR remote that I actually hated from day one.

And that seems to be where most of your issues stem from, using some cheap Chinese crap (which all those boxes that carry the "MXQ" label are).

Don't confuse a Android TV (which is the OS) box with an Android on a TV box, which is what all those cheap boxes run. Android TV is made for the TV, it's designed for use with a remote as is all the apps for it. It is also not Fire TV OS, which is only on Amazon Fire TVs.

I agree with this constatation, you can never get similar hardware specs. I thought about getting on Windows but I gave up, I think it's not as good idea as it seems.
(2016-06-10, 17:16)stammie Wrote: For your uses I'm not sure a cheap Windows device will work, I've experimented with advanced launcher (and I stress experimented with it) and for Windows at least my experience of it depends on how good your system is,
I tried the same settings with the same app on two devices, one my i5 Surface Pro 4 where Kodi and the app worked flawlessly together and the second a Celeron based PC which produced a buggy as hell experience, both were running Windows 10 Pro, both relying on intel chipsets but the experience between them was chalk and cheese.

If Netflix in HD is a priority for you your choices are pretty limited and probably more expensive than you're expecting for everything else you want this device to perform.

I run Netflix through Advanced Launcher on 3 Windows 10 PC's. Two have only 2GRam and small HD's. The other is 8GRAM they work flawlessly for me. Just point the Advanced Launcher to a small Bat file with this code inside the .bat "Start Netflix:// " To quit the App, I have Alt+F4 mapped to my remote. The window closes and returns to Kodi. The only issue I have is Netflix does not start in full screen mode. I've written code to change this with AutoHotKey.

I've replaced all my Android Devices with Windows, it's just easier to manage and RDP into each one.

cwh
(2016-06-13, 21:07)cwh060 Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 17:16)stammie Wrote: For your uses I'm not sure a cheap Windows device will work, I've experimented with advanced launcher (and I stress experimented with it) and for Windows at least my experience of it depends on how good your system is,
I tried the same settings with the same app on two devices, one my i5 Surface Pro 4 where Kodi and the app worked flawlessly together and the second a Celeron based PC which produced a buggy as hell experience, both were running Windows 10 Pro, both relying on intel chipsets but the experience between them was chalk and cheese.

If Netflix in HD is a priority for you your choices are pretty limited and probably more expensive than you're expecting for everything else you want this device to perform.

I run Netflix through Advanced Launcher on 3 Windows 10 PC's. Two have only 2GRam and small HD's. The other is 8GRAM they work flawlessly for me. Just point the Advanced Launcher to a small Bat file with this code inside the .bat "Start Netflix:// " To quit the App, I have Alt+F4 mapped to my remote. The window closes and returns to Kodi. The only issue I have is Netflix does not start in full screen mode. I've written code to change this with AutoHotKey.

I've replaced all my Android Devices with Windows, it's just easier to manage and RDP into each one.

cwh

Yikes does that not close Kodi if you accidentally hit the alt+f4 shortcut on the remote?
It would if you had focus on Kodi. I have it mapped, in a visual display key, so I have to look for it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading to Windows box from Android. Good idea?0