[Win] [NVidea] Hardware acceleration card for h.265
It's time to update my aging HTPC. I'd like to future proof and get a card that supports hardware h.265 4k decode.

Any first hand experiences or recommendations?

Just from memory, I think only the top of the line cards from NVidea support h.265 acceleration to other apps like Kodi. I'd prefer a quieter low power card.
As of right now you are limited to Nvidia 950,960,1070,1080. And they are all geared towards gamers
(2016-06-09, 05:54)AaronCompNetSys Wrote: It's time to update my aging HTPC. I'd like to future proof and get a card that supports hardware h.265 4k decode.

Any first hand experiences or recommendations?

Just from memory, I think only the top of the line cards from NVidea support h.265 acceleration to other apps like Kodi. I'd prefer a quieter low power card.

Currently I think the 950 is best price/performance wise for this. The new gen 10XX cards are 14nm so they are going to be much lower power for the same performance. Probably best waiting for the budget versions of them to come out.
(2016-06-09, 11:41)ianuk2005 Wrote: Currently I think the 950 is best price/performance wise for this. The new gen 10XX cards are 14nm so they are going to be much lower power for the same performance. Probably best waiting for the budget versions of them to come out.

Doesn't the new Nvidia cards use 16nm it's the new AMD 480 cards that are 14nm
(2016-06-09, 11:44)komplex Wrote:
(2016-06-09, 11:41)ianuk2005 Wrote: Currently I think the 950 is best price/performance wise for this. The new gen 10XX cards are 14nm so they are going to be much lower power for the same performance. Probably best waiting for the budget versions of them to come out.

Doesn't the new Nvidia cards use 16nm it's the new AMD 480 cards that are 14nm

No, both the new line from nvidia and amd are 14nm.
is it a wise time to upgrade right now?
next year intel upgrade
graphics cards are just in the transition of one of the biggest upgrades in a decade

early adopters will just get charged more and not certain to get the right kit

maybe wait atleast a year before the dust settles, then get something that will last you 4 or so years
Thanks everyone. I've been eagerly waiting for the budget 10xx to arrive, either for that model or to drop process on the last gen.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win] [NVidea] Hardware acceleration card for h.2650