Here are the list of Features I need. Can you suggest a backend?
Background: U.S. Windows Media Center user since Vista. Has 2 MC extenders working perfectly. But want to change to Kodi ecosystem.

list of must features:
1. 100% free.
2. As reliable as WMC
3. Windows 10 based
4. Timeshift during and after recording
5. Record series but new only
6. Disk quota management (delete old recordings, if no more space)
7. Little management

In short, I want all the features of WMC but with Win10. Is it infeasible and am I too ambitious?

I did some research on Argus, NPVR and Emby but each comes a little short. Perhaps I read outdated posts and now they are fixed. I'm willing to spend hours researching, tinkering and setting up the whole system.
Acegolfer, I've tried in vain to reply to your private message, I believe my forum account isn't old enough. I wanted to let you know that my experience with NextPVR/Kodi didn't end well. I wanted to keep this in a private message as I don't mean to sound unappreciative of the hard work the open sourcers are doing, but I simply had way too many bugs/work arounds, and the experience was still no where near as nice as WMC.

I do have a solution that may work for you, try e-mailing me through my profile. I can respond to e-mail, I assure you!
Mythtv fits all but 3.

@DirtyRat, please keep support on the forums, not pm or email. The point is to share your knowledge, not hide it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
My solution is a workaround to get WMC working in Windows 10. Figured this might be frowned upon so I was going to keep it hush.

Sent from my XT1049
(2016-06-10, 13:22)nickr Wrote: Mythtv fits all but 3.

@DirtyRat, please keep support on the forums, not pm or email. The point is to share your knowledge, not hide it.

Hasn't mythTV been around long? I believe I've used it back in 2005, when I was using Ubuntu for my server. Unfortunately, I had to move my server to Win and used BeyondTV instead in 2006.

(2016-06-10, 13:24)DirtyRat Wrote: My solution is a workaround to get WMC working in Windows 10. Figured this might be frowned upon so I was going to keep it hush.

Sent from my XT1049

Thanks. I am following that workaround. From my research, however, it works on a standalone PC but not with Kodi frontend. How's your experience?
The main problem you glanced over is "U.S. based". Is it a cable TV, if yes is your media center using CableCard ? If yes, are your channels marked as "copy-freely" ? If not, then you probably won't have any other solution than HDHomeRun Prime as far as i know, but i leave that to US based people.

In Europe it is simple. You get DVB-C/T/T2/S/S2 tuner depending on your signal, and then add a CA module (if your provider sells/rents one) to decode your channels.

My personal choice would be MediaPortal - it is open source, reliable, runs on any Windows, it can record & timeshift at same time, it has quota system.
here: http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-...1729919907
(2016-06-10, 14:51)bry- Wrote: here: http://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-...1729919907

This page offers a nice guide to installing WMC in 10, however, it links you to an old version of the installer, which has known bugs.

This link gives you the same WMC with a version 12 patch, versus the version 2.1 in the older lifehacker post.

https://mega.nz/#!7kdR1ICb!1TCdTd_UpqtYq...8PVD21mrAU

This is what I used to successfully install WMC on Windows 10. I have NOT attempted to pair it with Kodi, as WMC fits my needs. My experience with Kodi was driven by the understanding that WMC didn't work properly in Windows 10, but so far I've had 0 issues with the above patch getting WMC to work fine in 10.
I think mediaportal may do that, its what I use. I find mediaportal slow, easily broken and requires workarounds for basic functionality (like reliably running at startup) but nothing else seems to he the features I want.
If your OS is Windows then I can deffently recommend DVBLogic, it covers all of your requirements apart from point 1, it's not free...49Euros which is what, $55? I personally came to the opinion that as much as the open source apps are good in terms that they are free! Having a PVR that works straight out of the box with "commercial support" and that met all my requirements was well worth the investment.... They have a 20 day trial so give it a bash....
@AshG: it has no CableCard support, which is the reason people from US used Windows Media Center so much.
(2016-06-12, 11:17)AshG Wrote: If your OS is Windows then I can deffently recommend DVBLogic, it covers all of your requirements apart from point 1, it's not free...49Euros which is what, $55? I personally came to the opinion that as much as the open source apps are good in terms that they are free! Having a PVR that works straight out of the box with "commercial support" and that met all my requirements was well worth the investment.... They have a 20 day trial so give it a bash....
As previously stated, CableCard support in DVBLink is basically non-existant.

Additionally, because it is a paid app, sources for EPG data are limited, too. SchedulesDirect is only licensed for open source applications. If you want to use DVBLink, you need a different source, such as Perc Data. (While Perc Data's rates are similar to SD, I find that there data is not as comprehensive in what they provide.)

I would also recommend against DVBLink because its conflict handling is so poor as to be basically non-existant, too.
(2016-06-12, 11:23)faugusztin Wrote: @AshG: it has no CableCard support, which is the reason people from US used Windows Media Center so much.

Ok didn't realise the OP said it needs to support cable card . Although just out of interest, Dvblogic does support DVBC? Is that not the same?.. Or is it because the channels in the US are encrypted?
(2016-06-13, 01:19)AshG Wrote:
(2016-06-12, 11:23)faugusztin Wrote: @AshG: it has no CableCard support, which is the reason people from US used Windows Media Center so much.

Ok didn't realise the OP said it needs to support cable card . Although just out of interest, Dvblogic does support DVBC? Is that not the same?.. Or is it because the channels in the US are encrypted?
Correct. DVB-C and US cable technologies may be similar under-the-hood, but they are implemented quite differently. In the US a CableCard is required to decode encrypted channels. Also, channel mappings are handled by the CableCard rather than scanning through the muxes/programs and tuning that way,

(In classic American style the mandate to open access to the cable networks was taken over by the corporations to create a system has nearly no benefit to the consumer and only resembles the open standard used elsewhere in the workd on the surface.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Here are the list of Features I need. Can you suggest a backend?0