Which Media Player to Buy - Confused !
Hello Fellas,

Need your inputs on which Media player should i buy ? The content to be played as below -

1. Full ISO 3D files + Half SBS/Upper Lower (light menu will also do, but it should run in 3D)
2. MKV files (this should not be an issue)
3. Support for ATMOS, DTS HD MA etc. pass-through
4. 4K content (thought I don't own a 4K LED yet, but being future proof)
5. H.265, as i have reading that this format will soon become mainstream, hence player should support this as well.
6. Support for HDD, will connect external HDD in which movies will be stored.

Current Setup -

1. Benq HT1075 1080P 3D DLP & a Samsung 55" Series 6 LED.
2. Onkyo TX-NR 737 with Jamo S 628
3. WD Media Player (runs ISO but not in 3D, only H-SBS it supports, no problem with MKV's though) - Want to retire this guy !

Look forward for your inputs.

Appreciate if you can share links to suggested Media players ?

Thanks & Peace !
Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2016) http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2016-06-10, 14:39)jmh2002 Wrote: Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated April 2016) http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Thanks mate for the useful link. However it leaves me more confused Smile

Also, the budget i am looking for is USD 100- USD 150.

Thank you !
I suggest you post in that thread. Making new threads for an existing subject is not useful Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
@coolcatric, only reliable-enough box that can do everything you listed, and that's available now, is HiMedia Q10 Pro, about $50 or so above your budget. Q5 Pro, due in a few days, may be closer to your budget.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-06-10, 14:54)coolcatric Wrote: However it leaves me more confused Smile

I'm not sure how it can be confusing. Also I'm not sure that you read and understood all 35 pages (and relevant side links) so quickly.

In any case, after reading and understanding, please come up with your own shortlist of devices from all of the suggestions there that are relevant for your circumstances and note their pros and cons. Thereafter possibly ask for some final guidance in that thread.

Being spoon fed is not an option because everyone has different needs.

Everyone here will help you, but in general they will also expect that you take some responsibility upon yourself too.

Kodi and a satisfactory device for your needs requires some personal investment in time and knowledge. Thereafter it will reward you.
(2016-06-10, 15:22)jmh2002 Wrote: I suggest you post in that thread. Making new threads for an existing subject is not useful Smile

Sure, will do that. Thanks.

(2016-06-10, 15:26)hdmkv Wrote: @coolcatric, only reliable-enough box that can do everything you listed, and that's available now, is HiMedia Q10 Pro, about $50 or so above your budget. Q5 Pro, due in a few days, may be closer to your budget.

Yes, seems so. Himidea Q10 Pro looks to be future proof. Should cover me for another 3-4 years.

Edit : Found this -

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-fast...482b94caa0

Any thoughts ?

(2016-06-10, 15:41)jmh2002 Wrote:
(2016-06-10, 14:54)coolcatric Wrote: However it leaves me more confused Smile

I'm not sure how it can be confusing. Also I'm not sure that you read and understood all 35 pages (and relevant side links) so quickly.

In any case, after reading and understanding, please come up with your own shortlist of devices from all of the suggestions there that are relevant for your circumstances and note their pros and cons. Thereafter possibly ask for some final guidance in that thread.

Being spoon fed is not an option because everyone has different needs.

Everyone here will help you, but in general they will also expect that you take some responsibility upon yourself too.

Kodi and a satisfactory device for your needs requires some personal investment in time and knowledge. Thereafter it will reward you.

You are right, that article was too technical for me. That is where i was looking for some direct suggestions. Also, i had one constraint, I live in Middle east, the final delivery location is India & the order has to be happen in USA. Someone was leaving from USA to India in another 2 days, hence the urgency.

Thanks & Peace.
AliExpress or other China/HK sources should be fine as long as you get the English/international versions of Q5 Pro or Q10 Pro, not the Chinese branded, Chinese firmware boxes.
My HT
(2016-06-11, 16:17)hdmkv Wrote: AliExpress or other China/HK sources should be fine as long as you get the English/international versions of Q5 Pro or Q10 Pro, not the Chinese branded, Chinese firmware boxes.

Yes, there is an option to select - "International Silver" & power type. Believe this should help. However I have been trying to find more information between the Q10 pro & Q5 pro, and seems like there is very minor difference between the two. The Q10 has space for internal HDD, more memory and coaxial support, that's all AFAIK.

Did you notice any other difference ?

Peace !
That's basically it, and casing (black vs. silver), and fan on Q10 Pro vs. none on Q5 Pro. If you don't plan on using an internal HDD, may as well get the Q5 Pro.
My HT
(2016-06-11, 22:21)hdmkv Wrote: That's basically it, and casing (black vs. silver), and fan on Q10 Pro vs. none on Q5 Pro. If you don't plan on using an internal HDD, may as well get the Q5 Pro.

Hey, i was doing some more research.

The Himedia Q5 Pro is available for 169$.

The Himedia H8 is available for 90$, the only major difference between these 2 is ATMOS support. Otherwise both the player are similar are run all 3D, H.265 & other required video formats.

Is that correct ?

Peace !
H8 is an inferior player vs. Q5/Q10 Pro in terms of PQ, lip synch error, and occasional macroblocking. Both H8 and Q5/Q10 Pro support ATMOS & X.
My HT
Alright, ended up buying Himedia Q5 pro for 150 USD from Aliexpress.

Hope it is a plug & play device ! Or do i need to make some changes / updates etc. ?

Thanks mate for all your help !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Media Player to Buy - Confused !0