Intel J3710 or N3700, HEVC on Linux Mint/Ubuntu
(2016-06-18, 12:32)DragonFly Wrote:
  • Audio

On Windows you're limited to what the audio drivers supports (DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus). Depending on what you're using (Jarvis or Krypton) and what setting is used (Directsound or Wasapi), it will play those formats, but only those. NO True HD, Master Audio etc.

Presumably you were able to get lossless decode of DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD to PCM 5.1/7.1 though? (And lossy DTS-HD HRA in full quality?)

AIUI you still get PCM multichannel in Windows - and with Kodi now having full decode functionality, unless you need Atmos or DTS:x, or sophisticated receiver processing based on metadata contained in the HD Audio bitstream, the requirement for bit streaming is less than it once was (when there weren't open source decoders for HD Audio - particularly DTS-HD which took a while to implement)
Quote:Note: When running Kodi on Windows, the Audio settings in Kodi should really mention what the driver is capable of and not the attached receiver.
Not possible.

Here is a sample for you:
http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/...samples.ts

On the VAAPI device use:
Scaling: Lanczos3 Optimized
Deinterlacing: Auto
Deinterlacing-Method: VAAPI-MCDI

Have fun.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-06-18, 13:28)noggin Wrote: Presumably you were able to get lossless decode of DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD to PCM 5.1/7.1 though? (And lossy DTS-HD HRA in full quality?)

AIUI you still get PCM multichannel in Windows - and with Kodi now having full decode functionality, unless you need Atmos or DTS:x, or sophisticated receiver processing based on metadata contained in the HD Audio bitstream, the requirement for bit streaming is less than it once was (when there weren't open source decoders for HD Audio - particularly DTS-HD which took a while to implement)

Yes, the receiver did get a PCM signal (wasapi settings). Should have elaborated. But then again, most people rely on in information shown on their AV equipment and probably miss interpret "PCM" for not being multi channel.

P.S. Not really sure about the DTS-HD HRA though. Will test later.
(2016-06-18, 15:13)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Note: When running Kodi on Windows, the Audio settings in Kodi should really mention what the driver is capable of and not the attached receiver.
Not possible.

Maybe this could be mentioned in the comment section. Thanks for the sample!

P.S. Having the attention of a developer (and a little bit off topic): On the Shield, is there a way for Kodi to recognize/detect the somewhat alternate sleep-state of this device? (see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=278811). This is necessary for Kodi to initiate a library scan and server wake when the Shield resumes from sleep. At the moment Kodi doesn't "know" this and therefore does nothing.
No idea. Android is not maintained and I am not an android developer. This is a thread about intel and linux why I jumped in.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, thx. It was worth a try.
Hi DragonFly

I've also bought the Asrock J3710 ITX board, mainly intended as a home server so I'm using a stock Debian installation. But since it's next to a TV, I'd wanted to run Kodi since this HD Graphics 405 should be up to par.

I've gotten some GPU acceleration since I've upgraded from 4.3 to 4.6 kernel in Jessie-backports, but whenever I want to play video using video acceleration the output is completely garbled (basically only green artifacts).

Do you have any pointers on what could be causing this or any missing packages hopefully?

Since I'm running this as a 24/7 server, it's a bit expensive for me to try a lot of distributions.
(2016-06-20, 14:42)DragonFly Wrote: P.S. Not really sure about the DTS-HD HRA though. Will test later.

If you get lossless DTS-HD MA decoded to PCM multichannel, chances are you'll also get DTS-HD HRA decode too. (It's not a lossless format)
(2016-07-04, 11:21)tkteun Wrote: Hi DragonFly

I've also bought the Asrock J3710 ITX board, mainly intended as a home server so I'm using a stock Debian installation. But since it's next to a TV, I'd wanted to run Kodi since this HD Graphics 405 should be up to par.

I've gotten some GPU acceleration since I've upgraded from 4.3 to 4.6 kernel in Jessie-backports, but whenever I want to play video using video acceleration the output is completely garbled (basically only green artifacts).

Do you have any pointers on what could be causing this or any missing packages hopefully?

Since I'm running this as a 24/7 server, it's a bit expensive for me to try a lot of distributions.

I have not tested stock Linux distro's, but only 'custom made' ones like OpenElec and LibreElec. Content plays fine and no artifacts are visible with default Kodi settings. I suppose on Debian it's an issue with the Nvidia driver, not Kodi.

Files present on HD(s) are shared by default using Open/LibreElec. So if you only want to share content across your network, use those. If you want a more versatile home server, you'd probably need to find a distro that does play nice with Kodi.
No Nvidia driver involved.

Not sure what you expected from stoneage debian on new Hardware.

You need: mesa 11, vaapi 1.7.1, Kernel 4.6.3, xorg 1.18.3, intel driver git max 4 weeks old.
Just an update from me:
- power consumption is great, whole PC consumes ca. 15 watt, 20 is maximum I got,
- linux mint - everything works out of the box, no issues with drivers at all,
- kodi and hevc - 8bit works great,
- 10bit is ok as well but bitrate has to be low; I tried watching hi-bitrate Avatar and it was unwatchable, but lower-bitrate episodes of the Wire (1080p, 10bit) were great; only HBO static intro and some water splashing scenes caused skipping frames
- it's completely silent, which is great for a pc
My friend buy mainboard asrock J3160DC-ITX http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J3160DC-ITX/
with mainboard you getting power adapter Smile

like szymon said everything looks good, but we found more problems.
We was unable to play 4K 8bit HEVC samples from kodi wiki - on screen resolution 1440p and 2160 resolution (on 1080p works without problem)
also switch keep framrate same on tv as movie have dont work after play sample tv no switch from 1080p to 2160p

We using latets millhouse kodi 17 build from yesterday. today i will try upload logs
Not sure what "unable to play" means, but the logfiles will tell.
Hi
Quick information for people who have Asrock J3710-ITX. Intel released new drivers in beta and surprise, working all sound formats (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD HRA) Smile
Tested on KODI 16.1

Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]
Version: Beta 15.40.xx.4530
Date: 9/30/2016

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...duct=80939
oO... how many years you had to wait?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel J3710 or N3700, HEVC on Linux Mint/Ubuntu0