Help A Kodi Newb get rid of a Tivo
Question 
Hi, Just spent about 40 minutes researching for a way to get an order into amazon to get Kodi setup. LOTS of stuff to look at here, so I'm hoping for a simple "Just buy this" type of answer.

I want to get rid of my Tivo. It's too slow and the interface is aging. Not looking to do anything illegal.

Can you tell me what to get hardware wise?

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • I want to record multiple shows concurrently. I want at least a terabyte of storage.
  • I want to get all my cable stations in my current package (HBO, Showtime, and lots of regular channels.)
  • IMPORTANT: I want to be able to save shows like I could with "Tivo-To-Go" and play them on a computer.
  • Would prefer Windows based hardware (like a all-in-one stick.)
  • I want it to be quick. Not sluggish in menus.
  • Pretty small form factor
  • I'd like to be able to use the Tivo bluetooth keyboard remote. It's very good.

How would a veteran like you set this up hardware wise?

I'm pretty technical so no worries on setting any of this up. Just want to get some good hardware from someone with experience using Kodi without staring at a million configurations.

thanks.
Jim from LI, NY
Hey, also from NY Smile

I would buy a nvida shield and a HDhomerun Prime. IMO those two devices give you years of future proofing over any other device on the market. Also they are heavily supported by the Kodi team and community.

If you are looking for a true Set top box replacement software, take a look at my Kodi plugin called PseudoTV Live.

Sent from my SM-G935T
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Wow great info Thanks Lunatixz!

So the Shield is fed from the cable box?

Are you recommending the HDHomerun DVR or cablebox?
Playing and recording the encrypted channels is going to be your most difficult obstacle. When I last read up on the HDHomeRun DVR software, it was not there yet, which leaves you with WMC.

The essence of what you'll need is a DVR back end (computer with WMC and Cable card) and Kodi as the front end. Read up on how the Kodi DVR works. Others may chime in with what works for them since I personally only use an antenna.

To be honest though, it sounds like you just need a newer Tivo box. If you have a family, I'd consider just upgrading your Tivo for the ease of setup and no downtime.
(2016-06-11, 23:12)katsup Wrote: Playing and recording the encrypted channels is going to be your most difficult obstacle. When I last read up on the HDHomeRun DVR software, it was not there yet, which leaves you with WMC.

The essence of what you'll need is a DVR back end (computer with WMC and Cable card) and Kodi as the front end. Read up on how the Kodi DVR works. Others may chime in with what works for them since I personally only use an antenna.

To be honest though, it sounds like you just need a newer Tivo box. If you have a family, I'd consider just upgrading your Tivo for the ease of setup and no downtime.

Thanks Katsup.
I want to be able to hold onto the shows I tape, copyrighted or not. You know like the ol' days with vhs tapes. That's fair use right? Tivos not going to get me there...
(2016-06-13, 05:30)jimerb Wrote:
(2016-06-11, 23:12)katsup Wrote: Playing and recording the encrypted channels is going to be your most difficult obstacle. When I last read up on the HDHomeRun DVR software, it was not there yet, which leaves you with WMC.

Thanks Katsup.
I want to be able to hold onto the shows I tape, copyrighted or not. You know like the ol' days with vhs tapes. That's fair use right? Tivos not going to get me there...

The problem with the US CableCard system is that it requires certain levels of DRM to be applied to recordings of some channels flagged with certain Copy Protection measures. As a result some channels can only be recorded on dedicated hardware devices like Tivo and Cable company provided DVRs OR Windows Media Center with the right Cable Card friendly cable capture solutions. These recordings are encrypted and can't be exported or played on other devices. (I think MS Playready is used but I may be wrong)

For basic channels, and lower end pay-TV stuff, you should find that there is no copy protection, and thus you can use HD HomeRuns etc. with Kodi etc. and not have DRM issues - but it depends on your cable provider which channels are available for this method and which aren't. (And in some cases some cable companies incorrectly flag stuff...)

As others have said - if you want everything to work like Tivo you are probably best of with another Tivo - as with other PC-based solutions (other than Media Center) you could find you can't watch or record all the channels you are paying for.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help A Kodi Newb get rid of a Tivo0