• 2(current)
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes
Quote:So my advice, for the little it is worth, is for KODI to stay out of such third party add-on issues and just keep to their forum rules here and spend their valuable time keeping up the excellent work that we all appreciate so very much. Much like Microsoft, Apple and Google they all just concentrate on their legal vanilla firmware and stay out of third party legality issues.

If the third party stuff stays away from our forum - no problem at all. But kodi will never be a place were fully loaded software installations get a platform. Again: no 100 words are needed. Everything that sticks to the rules is allowed in kodi's forum - everything not -> will be moved to trash.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-06-14, 06:41)raymw Wrote: However I have to honestly say that, like Windows and Android platforms, of course such third party apps/add-ons do make the platform far more popular than it otherwise would be and that is purely fact, not conjecture. So it is far from killing KODI, as has been implied, but in fact the complete opposite if you look at the hard facts.

It *is* killing Kodi insofar that the *real* Kodi devs (vs. the addons script kiddies) do not want to be associated with it, and move on. Those have 0°K interest in Kodi being "popular".

No devs = no Kodi, QED.
I have been digging previous topic for days and found nothing helpful to fix my probs, but luckily i read Josh' post and found this topic.

Recently my atv520e has been extremely slow so i decided to upgrade to ember. I downloaded and did as instruction and somehow succeed. However my box now is unable to connect to internet and i cant call for Ember system setting (script error : system setting).

Even when i try to revert back to android, downloaded files from website, but i cant make my box to boot from sd card. I was holding the reset button for long before plugging power(as usual) but it kept starting into Ember as normal .

I wonder is there any solutions for these probs?

Thanks guys for helping.
Just tried the new Beta Firmware (Version 4.0.1 - beta) on the MXQ (metal) box but not a great success. Initial loading screen stable at first then began breaking up before moving on to 2nd animated loading screen. Though Kodi was running I could not get into the Ember settings menu and no network connection (ethernet. No wifi as the update erased all previous settings, and I didn't see the point in trying). Reverted back to Ember 3.0.1 without problems and it then updated itself to Ember 4.0.0, again without problems
Anyone know if there is a way to see which donor license is on the box?

I assume if you were ever to revert to android you would need to put in the licence again.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-06-19, 15:56)retsibsi Wrote: Just tried the new Beta Firmware (Version 4.0.1 - beta) on the MXQ (metal) box but not a great success. Initial loading screen stable at first then began breaking up before moving on to 2nd animated loading screen. Though Kodi was running I could not get into the Ember settings menu and no network connection (ethernet. No wifi as the update erased all previous settings, and I didn't see the point in trying). Reverted back to Ember 3.0.1 without problems and it then updated itself to Ember 4.0.0, again without problems

It is NOT intended for the metal cased M12 box, only for the cheap inferior plastic cased MXQ S805 based boxes. Even so we have discovered that there are so many clones of this plastic cased box out there that your particular box of th at type may still be incompatible !!!. Provided your box is not too corrupted then you should be able to revert to EmbER V4.0.0 for the M12 box. If you are not registered then you will need to install the public V3.0.1 for this box first and then donate, and activate your box. Then you will be able to manually update to V4.0.0 Donor Edition through the Ember Settings|Update| screen. It will also auto update as long as you have the option to auto check for updates enabled of course.
Cheers
Raymw
(2016-06-21, 02:48)ed_davidson Wrote: Anyone know if there is a way to see which donor license is on the box?

I assume if you were ever to revert to android you would need to put in the licence again.

Sent from my iPhone

Actually no Ed. The activation code is locked into a protected area of the box's memory and when you go back to any EmbER version (other than 1 which you should avoid) then it will know it is a registered activated box and will NOT need reactivating. As to getting the activation code from an activated box then, if you had not already noted it along with the box's serial number, I know of no way to recover that info. Of course Josh may know a way if indeed it is even necessary, as remember the activation code is NOT transferable to another box even of the same make and model.
Cheers
Raymw
Do you know if the power button on the remote puts the box on standby or power off? I think it's standby. If so is there a way to get a power off menu?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-06-23, 06:23)ed_davidson Wrote: Do you know if the power button on the remote puts the box on standby or power off? I think it's standby. If so is there a way to get a power off menu?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes there is for the M6 boxes using an appropriate different remote.conf file or simply hitting the power icon bottom left of your screen which brings up the three choice usual menu. I do not know yet of a suitable replacement remote.conf file for the M12 S805 type boxes as yet. But that is clearly something that can be worked on as it must be possible of course, will take a look when I get time but may need a much better dude than me to create such a file. On the M12 box the remote's red power button DOES simply put the box into standby mode, as you will see from the almost instant return to the home screen when you restart the box using the red power button on the remote again..

Do be aware though that there is a problem with these M12 boxes when left in standby mode in so far as they lose over an hour of time a day on the clock. It is easy enough to rectify by forcing a full reboot using the onscreen power icon bottom left ( so no need to pull the power plug out ) but that rather defeats the point of having a quick switch on of course. I know that Josh is going to work on fixing this hardware related bug by implementing non intrusive regular quick calls to the ntp daemon routine that is currently only called up at full boot up. So maybe that planned for fix will be with EmbER 4.0.1 update for registered users in the not too distant future with any luck.
Cheers
Raymw
I'm using the xonfluence skin and I'm only getting the choice of reboot or skin settings on the M12. Should I be getting a shutdown option as well?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-06-23, 14:56)ed_davidson Wrote: I'm using the xonfluence skin and I'm only getting the choice of reboot or skin settings on the M12. Should I be getting a shutdown option as well?

Sent from my iPhone

Quite honestly I personally am done with playing with skins Ed. Always causes some problems or other. The EmbER mod skin is fine, it looks nice (you can change colour easily between Red, Blue or Green) and it works excellently and is designed for the job.

Hitting the power icon bottom left brings the option to Rebootr Timer shutdown or Suspend that is on the defauilt EmbERmod screen
Cheers
Raymw
Thanks Ray. I'll have a play around with it.

Sent from my iPhone
I did try the ember mod skin, but here is my problem. I want to shutdown. I used the shutdown timer, but after it was shutdown the screen went black and the standby light stayed on. When I went to start it back up with the power on the remote it would not power up. I had to pull the power to get it to start back up. It kinda defeats the object of powering the unit off, LOL.
Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone
Is there any reason in particular that you would like a power off function instead of suspend?
I've noticed that sometimes, not always, if the unit has been off for sometime then the ADDONS seem to become unresponsive, when I say unresponsive I mean when I click on them, I just get a empty transparent box.
It could of course be a particular addon that is causing it. It's not a huge inconvience but it is minor. Again, not sure if it's ember related. Thanks for the great work Josh.5

Sent from my iPhone
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(EmbER) Linux for Amlogic TV Boxes0